Lake Ontario modis imagery extra interesting

Notice the nearly perpendicular current spikes moving/branching toward center. Often folks think that the current just runs around the periphery of the lake. It explains why we get some of the puzzling current effects while trolling.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

It’s so weird the way you guys are always looking at lake photos. Must be a “Brian” thing. 

You are guilty too.  We know you better than that Chad!  

• Like 1

I thought the current piece was crazy.  Those times when I can't get my down temp right cause it 'seems' like the current is switching,  is likely due to me moving into different parts of a wavy stream. (and partly because I haven't called Troutman yet to order some real rigger weights, stupid pancakes!)

RE: Whiting vs Bloom, I was wondering about this too, and of course they often occur together so probably some of both.  It it seems like a whiting, the timing is about right, conditions certainly have been right.  Its interesting that it is primarily a Canadian whiting with some parts reaching the south shore now and then. Then again I don't think I've looked at enough of these images from this time of year to know how usual/unusual a N vs S shore difference is.

I heard reports from the North shore that shallower staging fish are being caught frequently and it seems less so in the south. I'm still wondering how water clarity might influence staging behavior. The changes (declines) to the staging fishery on the south shore seem to be one of those comments that is consistent which always makes me think the physical lake environment is / has changed...but I'm way out over my toes on those ideas.

I also noticed in most of the MODIS pics somehow the whiting/blooms to turn south right around Sandy Creek area....hmm...makes me wonder if Aquaman-Gambler can control the lake currents in addition to the lake trout.

I don't check in on the MODIS enough but GillT keeps me honest.  I know if there is something I need to see he'll tell me. I was looking at the other lakes MODIS images and I sure am glad to work in "the lower settling basin" as my upper lakes colleagues say. Michigan water looks black most of the time.

Get those Troutman torpedoes.....you'll be glad you did.....on the other hand it is one less excuse for not catching when you get them:lol:

They are only rated for 10 lb maximum. Some folks use 12's on them but i would wonder about the motors holding up. I will say though that the torpedos track much better and cut through the water better than most other older version weights (pancakes, balls, herbies etc.) so for some uses they may be better than heavier weights of the other shapes. I use 10 lb torpedo and shark shaped weights on mine (Mag 10A's and Digitrol II). I believe Harv's 12 lb torpedoes are actually about 13 lbs. I also know that the currents presently in Lake O are a challenge for nearly any weight. :smile:

Edited by Sk8man

15 hours ago, schreckstoff said:

I thought the current piece was crazy.  Those times when I can't get my down temp right cause it 'seems' like the current is switching,  is likely due to me moving into different parts of a wavy stream. (and partly because I haven't called Troutman yet to order some real rigger weights, stupid pancakes!)

RE: Whiting vs Bloom, I was wondering about this too, and of course they often occur together so probably some of both.  It it seems like a whiting, the timing is about right, conditions certainly have been right.  Its interesting that it is primarily a Canadian whiting with some parts reaching the south shore now and then. Then again I don't think I've looked at enough of these images from this time of year to know how usual/unusual a N vs S shore difference is.

I heard reports from the North shore that shallower staging fish are being caught frequently and it seems less so in the south. I'm still wondering how water clarity might influence staging behavior. The changes (declines) to the staging fishery on the south shore seem to be one of those comments that is consistent which always makes me think the physical lake environment is / has changed...but I'm way out over my toes on those ideas.

I also noticed in most of the MODIS pics somehow the whiting/blooms to turn south right around Sandy Creek area....hmm...makes me wonder if Aquaman-Gambler can control the lake currents in addition to the lake trout.

I don't check in on the MODIS enough but GillT keeps me honest.  I know if there is something I need to see he'll tell me. I was looking at the other lakes MODIS images and I sure am glad to work in "the lower settling basin" as my upper lakes colleagues say. Michigan water looks black most of the time.

You're making this fishing thing harder than it needs to be......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yankee Troller said:

You're making this fishing thing harder than it needs to be......

The more you know the better off you will be!  It does cause you to over think things sometimes though.