Well,  we were supposed to be up for a full week of fishing but mother nature had other plans. We got out all day Sunday and Monday but then the winds came and with the rest of the weeks forecast looking bad, we headed home Wednesday. Sadly, the number of targets on the sonar were few and far between and most of the charter boats were only taking a few here and there. Even the boats from Mexico to Port Ontario were all slow. Early on we found a pod of fish in shallow and on the bottom in a 110' of water east of the river. Luckily we choose to stay on those fish a work them hard. It payed off because not many adults were caught by others while we were there in other depths. For some odd reason they would only hit in the evening. Atommik live lime hammer fly in the sun and a Kevin Davis special in the low light.  We pounded those fish at first light and all day with nothing happening. Then they would turn on around 5pm and start streaking through the riggers. We ended up landing 7 adults with the biggest being 25.5 pounds. They also wanted the flies faster than I'm use to running them. Down speed of 2.5 to 2.9 was the key. All the eggs were small and tight so I think it will be a while before they start to run.

Hopefully more fish start showing up, otherwise its going to be a slooooow river season. 

Also one other note, the currents are crazy strong right now. Be careful on turns with dipsies and copper out. I run 16 pound torpedos on my riggers and they were being pushed in all kind of different directions with the strong currents. 

aMbpTmPaQkaPqZeWmQ5+Ww.jpg

RVUARzKRQnKafwvfi5gMXA.jpg

eaMtn7%cRUa%dGB3BxMYBg.jpg

CLYCQUOgQDymlK5LGekLgA.jpg

R3ZxpYvdTie7LecGYofMdQ.jpg

Edited by steelfire
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Adk1 said:

Sounds like you did really well overall! Nice job!

We were very happy to catch a couple big adults. Especially With the current conditions and most of the charter boats struggling to find adults. Luck was on our side for a change!! :) 

Frogger, this was the screen we had at first light in the same area. We could not get a single hit from that squadron of fish. I threw everything at them and came at them from every direction at every speed possible. They were definitely not interested as not one would streak into the riggers. As soon as the sun came up, they sunk to the bottom. But man, as soon as 5pm came they would shoot up off the bottom and streak through the riggers and hit.  It was very weird, I have been fishing the same area and the same time frame for the last 20 years and it was always the opposite,  early morning was always a crush fest and the evenings were slow.  

IMG_5804.JPG

The Humminbird  Helix is an awesome unit. I get that same detail when we are out in 600' of water fishing 125' down. I can watch the fish streak up to one of my three  riggers on the screen and point to it  and tell my crew that the rigger is about to fire. Its truly amazing. I was always a Lowrance guy until about 4 years ago. Lowrance sonar is way behind Humminbird technology wise. The Helix is well worth the money.

I have the Helix 10 with chirp, Mega SI Gen 3 for $2000.  But if you don't want all the bells and whistles. You can get a Helix 10 that is just sonar and mapping for $1200. I honestly don't use all the side and down scanning when fishing for kings. We just have it to look at the bottom of the lakes we fish to see whats there. At home in Massachusetts, we fish off of the back of my boat with small shiners and a single split shot while anchored. The helix 10 has a jigging mode that is extra sensitive. I can see the shiner and small split shot clear as day down 30' and watch the trout swim up to it and hit it. Its truly an amazing song unit!!  Well worth the money. And they have awesome costumer service.

And I just use the stock sonar transducer, its all you need. https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/fish-finders/helix/helix-10-chirp-mega-si-gps-g3n-cho?_ga=2.110792576.424990104.1598706607-1293592427.1528753537

The picture below is the Helix 10 in Jigging mode. The wavy lines are a tiny pin head shiner with two tiny split shots above it. The straight lines under it are 15 inch trout swimming up the bait to check it out. Thats how sensitive this unit is. My Son said it was like playing a video game.  LOL  

IMG_0428.JPG

Edited by steelfire

I have the Helix 10 with chirp, Mega SI Gen 3 for $2000.  But if you don't want all the bells and whistles. You can get a Helix 10 that is just sonar and mapping for $1200. I honestly don't use all the side and down scanning when fishing for kings. We just have it to look at the bottom of the lakes we fish to see whats there. At home in Massachusetts, we fish off of the back of my boat with small shiners and a single split shot while anchored. The helix 10 has a jigging mode that is extra sensitive. I can see the shiner and small split shot clear as day down 30' and watch the trout swim up to it and hit it. Its truly an amazing song unit!!  Well worth the money. And they have awesome costumer service.
And I just use the stock sonar transducer, its all you need. https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/fish-finders/helix/helix-10-chirp-mega-si-gps-g3n-cho?_ga=2.110792576.424990104.1598706607-1293592427.1528753537

The picture below is the Helix 10 in Jigging mode. The wavy lines are a tiny pin head shiner with two tiny split shots above it. The straight lines under it are 15 inch trout swimming up the bait to check it out. Thats how sensitive this unit is. My Son said it was like playing a video game.  LOL  
IMG_0428.thumb.JPG.bd02c0b87ed7497ae9ccdace8c8d9e45.JPG

Is the helix fairly simple to operate/ scroll thru settings/ set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

3 hours ago, Frogger said:

Steel, do you run a fish hawk with it? Noticed it was at 75kz. Didn’t know if that would interfere with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Frogger, I do run a fish Hawk and have had no issues with any interference from it. I have been using the both of them now for over three years and they both work great together. 

image.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wallysackett said:

Is the helix fairly simple to operate/ scroll thru settings/ set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes it pretty easy to operate. Like any unit, you need to learn it but the good thing about Humminbird is that there are a ton of you tube videos that go in depth on how the settings work. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but it only took me one time out playing with all the settings to get use to it. Its fairly simple. Check it out on you tube!

Edited by steelfire