DEC conducting survey on Sunfish daily limit

Wisconsin & Minnesota are light years ahead of us with sunfish management. Their research has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that overharvest of mature fish, particularly the parental males that guard the nests, is directly responsible for a decrease in fish quality. Not what everyone presumes, that overpopulation of stunted fish is a direct result of not removing enough from a given waterbody. I’m 70 years old and have seen a lot of quality bluegill lakes in my lifetime reduced to a remnant of their former selves. 50 sunfish/day is way too many.

Here in the Finger Lakes I think it should be standardized as 25 for all the panfish including perch.but it seems to be a rather volatile issue:smile:

• Like 3

I’d vote for that. One other comment. I fish all over for bluegills, including southern Ontario which has some great panfish lakes. I only keep enough for a meal, releasing all the big ones & keeping around 8 of mid-size. One of the best lakes in the state for quality in my opinion is the only one with a restricted sunfish limit, 15 per day. Coincidence? I think not.

I just did the survey. One thing I am not sure of is there is no distinction between sunfish and bluegills.  I assumed they meant both although I do keep some ice fishing gills and never sunfish.  It seems that most of the sunfish I catch have black spot grubs but the gills in lakes other than Honeoye do not.  About half the sunfish I caught yesterday in Owasco had spots.

As a perch guy in the lake Ontario off season, I would agree with a 25 fish limit.  It would mean more work for me to fill the freezer but perching has become easier with technology and the internet!  

On 8/29/2020 at 9:49 AM, Ray4852 said:

If the dec wanted to do something good for New York State. Why don’t they try and get a no sale pan fish law here. 

I fully agree Ray.... long overdue

I always said that if I could consistently catch truly jumbo sunfish and/or Yellow Perch, thats all I would fish for... Love panfishing.
 I would REALLY like to find a lake or river that has good fishing for white perch. They seem scarce in this part of the state, but downstate NY, NJ, Conn, LI is loaded with them.. Have not seen one in close to 30 years since I moved to the FL Region...

We really need better protection for our panfish.. Limits are too  liberal IMHO, and commercial fishing should be stopped... Too much pressure these days, and its really showing in average size... This year was my worst ever as far as size is concerned.. Too many dinks.... bob