Walker Down-rigger - auto shutoff question

Hello, I have the Walker down-riggers with the auto shut off. There are some metal pieces crimped on the cable and when they pass the sensor it stops the motor. These crimped on pieces were covered by heat shrink tubing and it is coming off. I don't know if the tubing is original or necessary. Would anyone have the answer for this? 

The three little pieces crimp down to the cable are the magnets that's what shuts off the auto stop shrink tubing that goes over the the little magnets takes a beating take a pocket knife and scrape off the old shrink tubing get some plastic dip and a little paint brush coat the cable and the magnets and crimps. Will last longer than new shrink tubing and you won't have to take apart the clincher

Sent from my SM-A102U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

8 hours ago, fisherdude said:

The three little pieces crimp down to the cable are the magnets that's what shuts off the auto stop shrink tubing that goes over the the little magnets takes a beating take a pocket knife and scrape off the old shrink tubing get some plastic dip and a little paint brush coat the cable and the magnets and crimps. Will last longer than new shrink tubing and you won't have to take apart the clincher

It looks like here in Canada it is only sold in an aerosol 

Looks like you have to take the clincher off and replace the shrink tubing. For parts I go through fish 307 they are located in NY so shipping be expensive. I know they have the replacement kit for it comes with new magnets crimps & Tubing. Good luck with it .

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 11:41 AM, fisherdude said:

Hello, have you tried this method before? If so, please describe the application.  I bought some flex seal which I believe is the same stuff. I used the rigger for one trip and all the rubber is off. I looked at the instructions for Plasti Dip and it is described as peel able. 

The Flexseal stuff doesn't hold up well to any rubbing on it and yellows as well. the Plastidip is better in that regard. The Plastidip in the can is thicker than the spray

Edited by Sk8man

The flexseal came in a can and I painted it one. Fisherdude, do you happen to have the brand name of the product you used and how you applies it? I took the clinchers off and put heat shrink tubing but the end is not tight on the cable so I don't think it is going to last. 

Thanks, that looks solid. I'll try that once the heat shrink tubing wears off.  I think the tubing I have shrinks 2 to 1 but just ordered some 3 to 1 but will buy some plasti dip, hopefully it goes on sale as $26 for one application is pricey. 

It goes a long way and you can coat lead weights (eg Seth green weights, downrigger weights etc.) and a variety of stuff with it so not bad in the long run

Sorry for so many questions. Did you paint it on a flat surface or hanging vertically? Can you just confirm this is the correct stuff, I checked today and the lid doesn't look like it would seal very good after use. 

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/plasti-dip-liquid-0482236p.html#srp

Thanks.

That is the stuff. I hung the cable vertically and yeah I just kind of painted it on little bit at a time until I got it where I wanted it . You are right the lids don't really seal the can air tight after while it will harden up .

Put the can in a large heavy duty Ziplock freezer bag afterward and squeeze all the air you can out of the bag. It will hold up for quite some time then without hardening