For those of you that run torpedo weights while trolling, how deep can you target? I troll from my peddle drive kayak. I have 8oz torpedoes, considering getting the 12oz. I want to be able to target 100ft, but the blowback is giving me troubles. Perhaps I should go with a copper setup.Any insight would be great! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use the 8 oz torpedoes from the yak if I'm not going any deeper than 60-70 feet. 

I did some testing with the Fish Hawk TD, and if I remember right with 15 lb braid it was like 280 feet of line to get 100 ft @ 1.5-2.0 MPH on the GPS.

I run a 2 lb or 4 llb ball off a Scotty Laketroller down rigger, and the drag is pretty manageable.

I use the 8 oz torpedoes from the yak if I'm not going any deeper than 60-70 feet. 

I did some testing with the Fish Hawk TD, and if I remember right with 15 lb braid it was like 280 feet of line to get 100 ft @ 1.5-2.0 MPH on the GPS.

I run a 2 lb or 4 llb ball off a Scotty Laketroller down rigger, and the drag is pretty manageable.

Thanks! Could you post some pics of the Scotty rigger on your kayak? Was that a hard install?

Lakertaker,

You may want to consider mooching.  Essentially “power jigging” with the rod in the rod holder....would be very straight forward with a kayak.  Guys on the west coast pound salmon doing this...no one really does it here but I think it’d be very effective especially for staging fish.  Drop that 8oz toropedo down to the bottom with a flasher/meat rig behind it....start pedaling to pull the rig up off the bottom and get it rotating....then pause and let it spin back down.  If u have a fishfinder set up right you can prolly watch the whole thing go down and video game fish them.

Lakertaker,
You may want to consider mooching.  Essentially “power jigging” with the rod in the rod holder....would be very straight forward with a kayak.  Guys on the west coast pound salmon doing this...no one really does it here but I think it’d be very effective especially for staging fish.  Drop that 8oz toropedo down to the bottom with a flasher/meat rig behind it....start pedaling to pull the rig up off the bottom and get it rotating....then pause and let it spin back down.  If u have a fishfinder set up right you can prolly watch the whole thing go down and video game fish them.

I will look into that, thanks!