Owasco goal fulfilled...8/30...

Congrats.

I am hoping to catch a small one in Owasco lake. They stopped stocking them in the lake in 2006. That is why almost all the walleye you catch are big. I am hoping to catch a small one cause that would be natural reproduction.

Edited by rolmops

Yes! How things have changed!!  I can remember the Mayflies, catching Cisco's and lake trout spin casting little cleos just before sunset. Going smelting and catching all you could clean.. The water in Owasco was so clean most camps just pumped it right out of the lake.... In 60 years Owasco has changed tremendously!  I think Owasco would make a super Walleye lake with all the forage and weed growth it has now...why did the DEC stop stocking Walleye???

51 minutes ago, Long time fisherman said:

Yes! How things have changed!!  I can remember the Mayflies, catching Cisco's and lake trout spin casting little cleos just before sunset. Going smelting and catching all you could clean.. The water in Owasco was so clean most camps just pumped it right out of the lake.... In 60 years Owasco has changed tremendously!  I think Owasco would make a super Walleye lake with all the forage and weed growth it has now...why did the DEC stop stocking Walleye???

They stopped stocking walleye because the rainbow and brown trout population went down drastically as a result of the walleye stocking. whether is was food competition or the trout becoming the food, I don't remember. I do know that both the rainbows and the browns have made a comeback after the walleye stocking was stopped, but it took a long time.

• Like 1

Hard to believe but after taking yesterday off for some family boating and swimming fun we got back out today 9/1 from 3:30 till 6 pm. Trolling again our luck continued... had only 1 strike but we landed another walleye. 24 inches and it made our day. Couldn't believe it.
A bit rough out there at times. Waves were very close together, we took several over the bow making things interesting. Tomorrow not looking good.20200901_181455.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

The DEC is 0-2 in determining whether there is natural reproduction of walleye in a finger lake, and didn't know another was full of them.  Just need a flashlight and a little ambition to figure it out! Only took missing one stocking for me to figure it out here. I'm sure they spawn right in the lake as well as streams.  Most of the successful reproduction on Otisco is in the lake.   

• Like 2

Cline down at 65 yesterday, waves were rough, got 2 good bows, a laker and couple small bows in 4 hours. Copper and riggers, core was dead, all in all, Slowwwww. Need the wind machine to shut down and let things stratify again. Would not have wanted to be up on the north end yesterday.

• Like 1