Legacy -The 2020 Season-

Legacy

So here is what what down, I shot a big ol doe tonight at 18 yards and made what I thought was a awesome no doubt kill (I thought heart) shot. Arrow blows through the doe and she takes five steps like nothing happened, looks back and forth and then walks away with her yearling. I get down after 45 min (after 8 deer leave my plot) and then start tracking. Arrow is covered in blood from start to finish. Find deep red blood and start tracking, find a decently solid trail of deep read blood with a few puddles here and there, the next 20 yards the blood thins and then I hear something trot away, I would assume the yearling. But I can’t find the next blood spot and I am petrified something crazy happened with the shot and I don’t want to take chances. I backed out and I am waiting till I get daylight. 

So here is my question, ever shot a good arrow into a deer that literally acted as if nothing happened? The deers reaction has me questioning everything and my mind is freaking swimming. I practice regularly to 70 yards, did I botch a chip shot that I was 100% confident was a great shot? I’m so rattled. 

I had three bucks, all 2&1/2 year old eight points, come through in a bachelor group around 6 pm and a fox scare the pants off me running through as i was leaving the stand. I wasn't tempted to grab my bow, but I got some video footage of them feeding on acorns at less than 10 yards. Great first sit.

Yesterday on my first sit in 25+ years with a bow I thought that it was going to be a bust since I tried to approach the stand from what I thought was the safe side. Well there were 5 "confirmed deer" that I booted out of the field thanks to that wonderful moonlight we had, but I figured that if I was able to get to that stand I would at least have an idea what was on the farm this early. 

Once the sun was up I had mom and 2 fawns come from the north which was behind me. Mom got a nose of me but couldn't figure it out or see me, and the 2 fawns couldn't care less. 1 even bedded 10 feet from the ladder. They move off after about 25 minutes and at 8:00 I have 2 donkey eared does that everyone hates come though and 6  of last years yearlings and 4 fawns come within 2 yards but I can't move without getting busted. They move off to the east and finally get a nose of my entry path.

8:32 I have this 2.5 year old buck come screaming in from the south and get to 12 yards and he stopped hard. Knew something was not right. I have never been successful at archery and then stopped hunting when I was 22. The best I did back then was educate a ton of them and 1 poorly placed shot that ended up as Coyote food. This little guy did a 180 and moved to 15 yards quartering away and I let it fly just to get the skunk off of 30+ years of no success  (gun season is a way different story). I let it fly and WOW. he bounded off and I heard him crash. End result - Double lung with a clip of the aorta and a 64 yard recovery. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Nittanyfisher said:

Yesterday on my first sit in 25+ years with a bow I thought that it was going to be a bust since I tried to approach the stand from what I thought was the safe side. Well there were 5 "confirmed deer" that I booted out of the field thanks to that wonderful moonlight we had, but I figured that if I was able to get to that stand I would at least have an idea what was on the farm this early. 

Once the sun was up I had mom and 2 fawns come from the north which was behind me. Mom got a nose of me but couldn't figure it out or see me, and the 2 fawns couldn't care less. 1 even bedded 10 feet from the ladder. They move off after about 25 minutes and at 8:00 I have 2 donkey eared does that everyone hates come though and 6  of last years yearlings and 4 fawns come within 2 yards but I can't move without getting busted. They move off to the east and finally get a nose of my entry path.

8:32 I have this 2.5 year old buck come screaming in from the south and get to 12 yards and he stopped hard. Knew something was not right. I have never been successful at archery and then stopped hunting when I was 22. The best I did back then was educate a ton of them and 1 poorly placed shot that ended up as Coyote food. This little guy did a 180 and moved to 15 yards quartering away and I let it fly just to get the skunk off of 30+ years of no success  (gun season is a way different story). I let it fly and WOW. he bounded off and I heard him crash. End result - Double lung with a clip of the aorta and a 64 yard recovery. 

Congrats!

Well she was 10 yards from where I lost blood and she laid down so neatly there was no white belly. Found her in 3 minutes in the daylight. I went double lunged through the bottom and cut the major heart artery. Barely any freaking blood and she acted like nothing happened. Absolutely wild. Not a great look for my Magnus Stingers which I am using for the first time. Amazing pass through, but where is the blood!!!! Anyway happy that one less matriarch is off of this doe circus. 

32188E32-D916-48D1-B9C0-C5EF62A9C7A5.jpeg

B47BB44C-15DC-4334-B041-36E58872F0A9.jpeg

958864A9-2B31-4EE2-9DF7-1B42ACE9381A.jpeg

9808E889-801A-4006-89D9-F57485731306.jpeg

• Like 1

Well she was 10 yards from where I lost blood and she laid down so neatly there was no white belly. Found her in 3 minutes in the daylight. I went double lunged through the bottom and cut the major heart artery. Barely any freaking blood and she acted like nothing happened. Absolutely wild. Not a great look for my Magnus Stingers which I am using for the first time. Amazing pass through, but where is the blood!!!! Anyway happy that one less matriarch is off of this doe circus. 

32188E32-D916-48D1-B9C0-C5EF62A9C7A5.thumb.jpeg.1d1c77495ea5a550811f4912c362fb8f.jpeg
B47BB44C-15DC-4334-B041-36E58872F0A9.thumb.jpeg.123b69813a21c926ea02607225c7fc8e.jpeg
958864A9-2B31-4EE2-9DF7-1B42ACE9381A.thumb.jpeg.47d657f7d00194ff8d899116a1a82237.jpeg
9808E889-801A-4006-89D9-F57485731306.thumb.jpeg.bd158114a026f13fdd8eab621a905d00.jpeg

Well done an good job sticking it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app