Legacy -The 2020 Season-

Legacy

October 4 pm
58 degrees
Partly cloudy
S wind 5 mph

Deer everywhere this pm. Saw 49 deer. 3 racks. Two (I'm guessing) were two years. One was a stud. The g2 on his right side must have been 15"+. Deer were pounding beans hard. Hung a new camera on the walk in.

IMG_20201004_164340480_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hope you get a shot...

I am going to try to fill my doe tags before gun season... Farm has a major deer issue since no one shoots does around it....

What are some of the issues with not shooting doe? Or problems you are seeing. Some say don’t shoot doe some say shoot as many as you can? Seems the guys I know shooting doe see bucks more frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

6 hours ago, iceman05 said:

What are some of the issues with not shooting doe? Or problems you are seeing. Some say don’t shoot doe some say shoot as many as you can? Seems the guys I know shooting doe see bucks more frequently.

Shoot does. Most of what I hunt could use a slightly thinner doe herd. 

Problem with not shooting them... The absolute worst case scenario...

Over population stresses out the herd. The best example of this is deer populations within city limits where hunting is not permitted. The end results are an over browsed environment, not enough cover, agricultural damage, malnutrition, ect. If youre hoping to grow, see, and support numbers of big bucks they just wont deal with these living conditions. With that being said every property is different so there isnt a number that work per acre for everyone. A balanced deer herd should be as close to 1 to 1 ratio as possible however it is rarely achieved. Maybe on a heavily managed ranch in texas. Be happy if its 1 to 2. (1 buck per 2 doe).

Im assuming most of us are far from the extreme but we may see some mild cases of this depending on what is happening around us. Our neighbors tend to play a major role in all of this. 

11 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Have you seen him before?

Not this year. Im going to go through pics from the last couple of years and see if i can find him. Hes unique. 

I believe if the buck to doe ratio is off and you have too many doe, you make bucks life easier during the rut. If there are too many doe, bucks have to do less work to find one ready for some fun lovin’! The less land they have to cover to find a mate, the less chance you have to get an opportunity!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 2

Congrats to all who have had success! Whalers son..[emoji106][emoji106] I took my youngest to camp with me over the weekend and we harvested our first deer together! What a great weekend, hunted squirrel Saturday late morning into early afternoon, in the Greenwood state forest, then rock creek and klipknocky, on the way down Friday. Good thing he had lot of ammo for the red rider, chipmunks are taking over! Stopped by letchworth on way home and then even got to see a few motos at pavilion motocross track after. He has the eyes of a hawk and is a natural! Hunting has turned more into the journey than the harvest for me over the years! IMG_2215.JPGIMG_2281.JPG

• Like 7

15 hours ago, iceman05 said:

The area that I hunt in has a deer problem period. The buck to doe ratio is way in favor of the does and even with the farm that I hunt on taking out 15-20 deer every year with hunting and pest control with the DEC, 4 move into the area in their place. The neighbor to the south  will not shoot does for some reason, so we have does on this farm that actually end up dying of old age. For the last 3 years I have had deer aged at 8+ years old with the oldest being 10. She was smaller than most and no back teeth. The holding capacity of an area is also bigger than your farm. I have 400+ acres on this one but that means nothing when the 2000+ around me is only looking for racks and pass every single flat head up. The good part is that there is enough food to go around, but at the same time since we also have "sanctuary areas" we also have the highest concentrations of deer. 

You need to have good doe mgt to have good quality bucks and animals overall.

49 deer! Holy moly. Need to fill all your dmps then some!

October 4 pm
58 degrees
Partly cloudy
S wind 5 mph

Deer everywhere this pm. Saw 49 deer. 3 racks. Two (I'm guessing) were two years. One was a stud. The g2 on his right side must have been 15"+. Deer were pounding beans hard. Hung a new camera on the walk in.

IMG_20201004_164340480_HDR.thumb.jpeg.3c4607cb4e4129a0698bd08304f07832.jpeg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sweet joe!

Congrats to all who have had success! Whalers son..[emoji106][emoji106] I took my youngest to camp with me over the weekend and we harvested our first deer together! What a great weekend, hunted squirrel Saturday late morning into early afternoon, in the Greenwood state forest, then rock creek and klipknocky, on the way down Friday. Good thing he had lot of ammo for the red rider, chipmunks are taking over! Stopped by letchworth on way home and then even got to see a few motos at pavilion motocross track after. He has the eyes of a hawk and is a natural! Hunting has turned more into the journey than the harvest for me over the years! IMG_2215.thumb.JPG.7589e08a3c7ae41912c1b2921f5d2f6e.JPGIMG_2281.thumb.JPG.f199d521fc41926044b78a0ac18a4a48.JPG

21 minutes ago, machzrcr said:

49 deer! Holy moly. Need to fill all your dmps then some!

No kidding. I have the last of the standing crops on the entire block atleast until the end of the week. These deer arent going far from the beans right now.

October 6 am
Sw wind 5-15 mph
35 degrees
Partly sunny

Sit #6
Some days you are on the x and some days you are not. Apparently today I was not. Zero deer seen this morning. Nothing. Nada. I will say though will all the leaves on the trees I can't see sh*t unless it was on top of me.

IMG_20201006_071120980_HDR.jpeg