Legacy -The 2020 Season-

Legacy

Haven’t been out in a week due to my wife having back surgery. She had a good today and told me to go out this afternoon. Been getting a lot of deer on my cameras all week so my hopes were high. Just heard a different pattern of leaves crunching from the squirrels. Sound was getting closer and coming my way. I stand up and grab my bow and wait for it to come. Then it shows up. Someone’s 60lb dog running loose ...... still feels good to be back in a stand IMG_9218.JPG

‘Bout Time
Mike

• Like 1

Slow morning here. I had three big doe at 7 am at ten yards, but with the cloud cover I couldn't see well enough through my peep, so no shot. Old eyes suck.

We ran the dogs at the South end of Hemlock this afternoon, and I picked three ticks off the red one - the black one is nearly 12 yrs old and stayed to the trail, which is just as good, since ticks are hard to see on her, particularly these little ones that are all over right now. My wife had five on herself from a walk in Mendon Park on Friday. Check your nether regions well. Lyme is no joke.

October 11 pm
55 degrees
Partly sunny
NE wind 15+ calm by dusk

Sat on the sidelines this morning due to the never ending winds and double down on a pm sit. Got in early but never saw my first deer until 615 ish. Two bucks ( 1.5 and 2.5 year old), a doe, and a fawn this afternoon.
It was fun watching the two bucks spar, work scrapes, and harass the does. The crazy is coming.

IMG_20201011_163707200.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Here a pic of the 2.5 year old buck that got a pass from me last night. He's a decent buck. He's unusual. His right side it typical and his left side is nontypical. He has a three inch kicker sticking straight out of the base also. Very cool looking rack.
#giveitonemoreyear

IMG_20200915_053729304_HDR.jpeg

Well I blew my wadd like a teenager at prom night last night.  I told myself 130" or bust this year i put in a ton of work over the summer and was willing to be patient but that all went to **** when I hit the release on my second hunt.  

I slipped in on an oak flat and not even 30 mins later I have a nice buck come in slow i get a look at him and its a 2.5 8pt he walks by at 10yds and I take a few pix then I see a big body dark rack run in I have 0 time to judge him and know I had one chance to stop him and and shot or he's gone... and I'm my experience I don't get second chance at mature deer.  I give him a bahh  he stops I pull back and try to get a good look but his head was in the leafs all I could see is dark tips and a big body and one step from being gone.  Well my itchy finger hit the switch while the war was going on in my head..  he ran 40 and tipped over on my 4x4 trail.  To say I was a bit baffled when I walked up was an understatement. The kids thought it was great they don't know the difference between a 115" and 130" that ment more to me then meeting my goal.

20201011_224228.jpg

Edited by HOLY DIVER
  • Like 6

Nice buck !! Don't ever be ashamed or regretful about shooting a buck like that with your bow. Sooner or later that 130 will come!

Well I blew my wadd like a teenager at prom night last night.  I told myself 130" or bust this year i put in a ton of work over the summer and was willing to be patient but that all went to **** when I hit the release on my second hunt.  

I slipped in on an oak flat and not even 30 mins later I have a nice buck come in slow i get a look at him and its a 2.5 8pt he walks by at 10yds and I take a few pix then I see a big body dark rack run in I have 0 time to judge him and know I had one chance to stop him and and shot or he's gone... and I'm my experience I don't get second chance at mature deer.  I give him a bahh  he stops I pull back and try to get a good look but his head was in the leafs all I could see is dark tips and a big body and one step from being gone.  Well my itchy finger hit the switch while the war was going on in my head..  he ran 40 and tipped over on my 4x4 trail.  To say I was a bit baffled when I walked up was an understatement. The kids thought it was great they don't know the difference between a 115" and 130" that ment more to me then meeting my goal.

20201011_224228.thumb.jpg.79c81b69c67764034684685945a1026c.jpg

Sent from my LM-V450 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Holy Diver, not all buck’s antlers are created equal. Given body size, that is a mature deer in NYS. Congrats on matching wits with one of the smartest critters in the woods. If anything, you helped your future chances of getting a 130” by removing that big bully from the hill. 

• Like 1

I have a similar goal for buck hunting my property.  When I hunt in my nice enclosed treestand with my lazyboy and heater in it. I won’t shoot nothin smaller then 120”. But I hardly hunt at home.  
    When I’m on state lands hiking 5-8 miles to my stand,anything goes down.  For me the hunt means more then the size of the buck. Thats a great buck.  I would be proud of it.  Nice work

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gator said:

Slow morning here. I had three big doe at 7 am at ten yards, but with the cloud cover I couldn't see well enough through my peep, so no shot. Old eyes suck.

We ran the dogs at the South end of Hemlock this afternoon, and I picked three ticks off the red one - the black one is nearly 12 yrs old and stayed to the trail, which is just as good, since ticks are hard to see on her, particularly these little ones that are all over right now. My wife had five on herself from a walk in Mendon Park on Friday. Check your nether regions well. Lyme is no joke.

Agree on the old eyes. I was convinced the deer I had present me with two opportunities Sun AM was a spike. When I got another look at it after it left shooting lanes it was an adult doe with distinctive white hair on inside of each ear. If I don't take one in that area by the 20th I will wait and let them play decoy.

It was a nice morning in the woods anyway. 

8 hours ago, Legacy said:

Here a pic of the 2.5 year old buck that got a pass from me last night. He's a decent buck. He's unusual. His right side it typical and his left side is nontypical. He has a three inch kicker sticking straight out of the base also. Very cool looking rack.
#giveitonemoreyear

IMG_20200915_053729304_HDR.jpeg

You know better than me Rob, but he's a tank. Looks at least 3.5 body-wise. Like others have said they all don't put it into the rack--this one looks like he will do damage in a fight. Good luck the rest of the season.  

20201011_224228.thumb.jpg.79c81b69c67764034684685945a1026c.jpg

That’s a great buck an has a body like a Sherman tank!
Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Thanks 1