Legacy -The 2020 Season-

Legacy

Nephew got his first buck tonight in one of my food plots! He made a good shot and got to watch him make a scrape and feed around before taking the shot! And I took a doe as well! 1016201947b.thumb.jpeg.73683d4ec63d9ecf7395d8be54a4231a.jpeg1016202043.thumb.jpeg.c6c19951a2d740bf10ca6bac369cd433.jpeg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great job guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It was great my friend. My track was 16.3miles.  Just got done with the walk at 5pm.  More of a scouting trip then anything. Didnt see any bear.  If i did this walk last year I would have seen over 12bears. Food is scarce this year. There all in the towns eating out of dumpsters. :lol:

I did have two bucks in the 120-130” area in the scope.  Should have brought the crossbow. 
   Monday will b another trip

15 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

How was your hunt?

I always have it with me, what’s your typical strategy with grunting?

I’ve had great success with grunting once I see a buck. I’ll lightly grunt at him and watch his reaction. Have had several turn and come to the base of the tree. Not much luck blind calling yet though.

• Like 1

It was great my friend. My track was 16.3miles.  Just got done with the walk at 5pm.  More of a scouting trip then anything. Didnt see any bear.  If i did this walk last year I would have seen over 12bears. Food is scarce this year. There all in the towns eating out of dumpsters. :lol:
   I did have two bucks in the 120-130” area in the scope.  Should have brought the crossbow. 
   Monday will b another trip

Great stuff, good luck Monday.

I always have it with me, what’s your typical strategy with grunting?

A grunt tube is no doubt the single most important tool in the deer woods. Strategy changes depending on the situation.
Early in the season I may just do some contact grunts when I have eyes on a shooter in hopes of getting his attention and enticing him into range.
As late october approaches I grunt at nearly every buck I see. Young bucks tend to respond very well to calling. They will then become a live decoy and help create a scenario that there is more than one buck in the area. Of course you are hoping there is a big buck around.
If I hear grunting I tend to mimic what I am hearing. This has put more deer instantly in my lap vs everything thing else.
There is no better time then when a buck or bucks chasing a doe. A tending or contact grunt in this scenario creates the illusion to any trailing bucks that you are the buck that has the doe in his sight.
Blind calling has had it's moments but has never been a great strategy for me. It has put small bucks within range but i don't a situation where I called in a big buck. The best potential certainly lies within the rut.

The best overall advice on strategy is don't be afraid to use a grunt tube.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The reason for the lack of reports is because I have been a little hiatus with the wife. Normally we get out of the country for a vacation in October but with the obvious state of the world right now that just isn't a reality this year. Instead we spent a long weekend in Alex Bay and that should put me in good standing with the wife for the remainder of the hunting season. Back at it this afternoon!

IMG_20201018_081744515.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 4

Looks like next season I’m gonna look for a lease.  Went to hang a stand last night and found 2 gut piles then this morning i went to hunt another spot and had a guy with his buddy were by the truck getting ready.. talked to them for a min said they got permission.. use to be spots I had bow to myself.. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 2:38 PM, bout time said:

Anyone try to start rattling or grunting with any success? Thinking with the cold weather approaching this weekend I may try it

‘Bout Time
Mike

Took this buck yesterday with the grunt tube, he was by me headed away at 30 yds, I hit the grunt about 6 times, he stopped and stared me down, we were eye level. Every time he looked away I grunted softly a couple toots, he reversed and started raking the tree over his head, then worked a scrape below him, that’s when I finally grabbed my bow, quartered to me I hit him inside the near shoulder, went 100 yds. I was rattling and grunting previous to him showing up. Good luck!

E4A72D96-DB3B-437F-A49E-B6D826472D3C.jpeg

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Roughrider IV said:

Took this buck yesterday with the grunt tube, he was by me headed away at 30 yds, I hit the grunt about 6 times, he stopped and stared me down, we were eye level. Every time he looked away I grunted softly a couple toots, he reversed and started raking the tree over his head, then worked a scrape below him, that’s when I finally grabbed my bow, quartered to me I hit him inside the near shoulder, went 100 yds. I was rattling and grunting previous to him showing up. Good luck!

E4A72D96-DB3B-437F-A49E-B6D826472D3C.jpeg

very cool

Grunt tube uses

*when you hear a deer but can’t see it

*Before and after rattling sequence

*Before and after a snort wheeze sequence 

*When you need to redirect a buck walking in a line out of range

*When walking in and walking out with loud leaves -don’t bother trying to be quiet, just sound like a chase scene and get in your tree as fast as you can