Legacy -The 2020 Season-

Legacy

4 hours ago, Roughrider IV said:

Took this buck yesterday with the grunt tube, he was by me headed away at 30 yds, I hit the grunt about 6 times, he stopped and stared me down, we were eye level. Every time he looked away I grunted softly a couple toots, he reversed and started raking the tree over his head, then worked a scrape below him, that’s when I finally grabbed my bow, quartered to me I hit him inside the near shoulder, went 100 yds. I was rattling and grunting previous to him showing up. Good luck!

E4A72D96-DB3B-437F-A49E-B6D826472D3C.jpeg

Nicely done!!!!

October 18 pm
60 degrees
S wind 15 mph
Cloudy skies

Scrapes are fresh on the way in. Not a whole lot of action this pm. One small buck feeding in the winter wheat would be all I saw for my efforts. 60 degrees and breezy just never seem to be great sits. Pulled a card and repositioned the camera so it is on the primary scrape.

IMG_20201018_160830263.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

11 hours ago, Legacy said:

October 18 pm
60 degrees
S wind 15 mph
Cloudy skies

Scrapes are fresh on the way in. Not a whole lot of action this pm. One small buck feeding in the winter wheat would be all I saw for my efforts. 60 degrees and breezy just never seem to be great sits. Pulled a card and repositioned the camera so it is on the primary scrape.

IMG_20201018_160830263.jpeg

Add in rain to the mix this week. Crap weather to start the rut.

Beautiful day to be out in NEPA bear hunting.  After my 16mile hike Friday I found a nice stand of oak with mostly full nuts and bear **** all around. I’m focused on that area today and already seen a sal with 2 1 year old cubs.  Lookin for that big bore!

• Like 2

Great day to be out again.  Feels GREAT to still have a tag and keep my bear season goin. LoL.  I shot 4 bears in the last 5 years. 2 archery, two rifle, all on gamelands in 3 different countys. Rangin from 120lb to 230lb.  Rather difficult to let one go but If I have an opportunity to size them up i wont take a small bear and especially a sal with cubs. 
gotta pour concrete tomarrow and hopefully back out wendsday 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whaler1 said:

Are they good eating?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That all depends. First off diet. A bear eating garbage has a strong gamey taste. The bear I shot all feed on oak cherry and hickory so theres hardly any “gamey taste”

2nd it depends on how fast a bear is processed. Theres two layers of fat. Outer fat is real greasy, and if it stays on the bear to long after it is killed it will seep into the meet and it will make the meat rancid.  
I process all my meat. My bear get skinned and fat removed as soon as I leave the check station. My bear meat is very good.  I have had people try n give me bear meat, but i wont take it. Most people shot a bear and drive around with it for a day or two showing it off therfore it tastes like crap. 

• Like 1

October 19 pm
50 degrees
NE wind 5-10 mph
Cloudy
Rain/sprinkle

Figured it would be a decent night in stand considering the rain let up about 3 or so.
Started the pm hunt with a curious doe who came out into the field to greet me as I was walking in. She had no issue with me walking by and heading to my stand.
About 530 I had an encounter with a good buck (see pics). He came in over my left shoulder and of course never heard him. I pretty sure he saw me turn my head. He stopped and stared at me. He did the head bob thing until eventually he decided to take a right turn and go out into the field instead. Had him at 10 damn yards. Ugh.
On the way out I was almost to the truck and I thought I bumped a doe. I stood there a minute and out comes a buck. He then chased her all the way across the field.
Not a lot of deer seen but some cool action.

IMG_20201019_165755414.jpegIMG_20201018_193038803.jpegIMG_20200915_053705385_HDR.jpeg

• Like 2

October 19 pm
50 degrees
NE wind 5-10 mph
Cloudy
Rain/sprinkle

Figured it would be a decent night in stand considering the rain let up about 3 or so.
Started the pm hunt with a curious doe who came out into the field to greet me as I was walking in. She had no issue with me walking by and heading to my stand.
About 530 I had an encounter with a good buck (see pics). He came in over my left shoulder and of course never heard him. I pretty sure he saw me turn my head. He stopped and stared at me. He did the head bob thing until eventually he decided to take a right turn and go out into the field instead. Had him at 10 damn yards. Ugh.
On the way out I was almost to the truck and I thought I bumped a doe. I stood there a minute and out comes a buck. He then chased her all the way across the field.
Not a lot of deer seen but some cool action.

IMG_20201019_165755414.thumb.jpeg.30012b5a38164395cb21ac462a278394.jpegIMG_20201018_193038803.thumb.jpeg.93d55232e79be6299035c35becb906ff.jpegIMG_20200915_053705385_HDR.thumb.jpeg.056f293d5e57b4a280d3076aceac2373.jpeg

Rob, that last pic looks like that ghost you were trying to tag that was walking across the field at night the same direction and opposite way each morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ok I'm in a pickle... 2 options here, I have a true giant showing up that I have been after for 2 years now.. He is only showing up at night (although only 15 min after shooting light. 3 days ago) but being pretty consistent now, he has been on camera 5 times in last few weeks. Been staying out till he does some day light showings (hopefully...) and Keeping the does around. But... On another piece I have a mid 130s 10 point out during the day now chasing does, he was out there this morning running off smaller bucks while I was there.

So would you. Target the daylight buck ( great ny buck all day long) Or risk tag soup holding out for a true giant. I'm torn..

Already have meat in the freezer. Lol.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

50 minutes ago, machzrcr said:

Ok I'm in a pickle... 2 options here, I have a true giant showing up that I have been after for 2 years now.. He is only showing up at night (although only 15 min after shooting light. 3 days ago) but being pretty consistent now, he has been on camera 5 times in last few weeks. Been staying out till he does some day light showings (hopefully...) and Keeping the does around. But... On another piece I have a mid 130s 10 point out during the day now chasing does, he was out there this morning running off smaller bucks while I was there.

So would you. Target the daylight buck ( great ny buck all day long) Or risk tag soup holding out for a true giant. I'm torn..

Already have meat in the freezer. Lol.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hunt the 130 and hope the bigger one screws up!