Legacy -The 2020 Season-

Legacy

Only you can answer this question
Your heart must not be set on the big guy if you are even considering hunting the other buck?
If you are happy shooting the 130 with out remorse that is your answer
If you are going to wish you held out and hunted the buck you have history with then hold out
Tag soup isn’t so bad when it’s chased down with worthy effort and challenging fun

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That is my problem. The 10 is deffinitely a great buck, but the big boy is haunting my thoughts daily [emoji23] lol.

Your heart must not be set on the big guy if you are even considering hunting the other buck?
If you are going to wish you held out and hunted the buck you have history with then hold out
Tag soup isn’t so bad when it’s chased down with worthy effort and challenging fun

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Still plenty of time, hold on for that big one. You already have killed bucks in that class. By looks of that pic he is fully mature, if you have good control of the hunting ground let him be. If you know the dates he slipped up last year huntem then.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Joe, if he's showing up 15 minutes after dark, I would push in somewhere between where he may be bedding and where you are getting pics. A deer can cover a lot of ground in 15 minutes! Believe me, I know the feeling as I just went through this and I don't regret holding out and not getting that target deer.

• Like 1

That's a truly horrible predicament. I feel very sorry for you, so sorry I cried. Wiped my tears with $50 bills, in fact.

Rich man problems lol!

Seriously, though, of course you'd go all in. A 130" buck is nice, but he's not going to keep you awake at night. And who cares if you eat tag soup. You already have one in the freezer, the family won't starve, and it's early in the season yet. Journey before destination!!

4 hours ago, dvdegeorge said:

absolutely!

Rob, that last pic looks like that ghost you were trying to tag that was walking across the field at night the same direction and opposite way each morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great memory. Same spot but different deer.

IMG_20191124_175253341_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

9 hours ago, machzrcr said:

Ok I'm in a pickle... 2 options here, I have a true giant showing up that I have been after for 2 years now.. He is only showing up at night (although only 15 min after shooting light. 3 days ago) but being pretty consistent now, he has been on camera 5 times in last few weeks. Been staying out till he does some day light showings (hopefully...) and Keeping the does around. But... On another piece I have a mid 130s 10 point out during the day now chasing does, he was out there this morning running off smaller bucks while I was there.

So would you. Target the daylight buck ( great ny buck all day long) Or risk tag soup holding out for a true giant. I'm torn..

Already have meat in the freezer. Lol.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

IMO. Its all about the story. U hunted him for quite some time now and if he messes up and u capitolize on it. It will make on hell of a story. All my mounts have a story behind them. Even my smaller mounts. I hunted a big mature 8 swamp donkey last year up until the last day of flintlock season. Got within 20ft of him and he outsmarted me everytime. I passed a nice young 10 up waiting for that 8. I respect that deer and if i get on him again this year, my tag is saved for him cause it would be a great story behind it. 

• Like 1

Back at it again today. Lookin for my bear. Now that i found the food and lots of bear sign its time to give my feet a break and sit and wait.  The morning started off right. Within minutes i had a nice mature 9pt walk within 40 yrds. I was thinkin of bringin the crossbow with me but this week is all about a bear.  I’ll start archery huntin after muzzleloader bear is done. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JakeyBaby said:

Joe, if he's showing up 15 minutes after dark, I would push in somewhere between where he may be bedding and where you are getting pics. A deer can cover a lot of ground in 15 minutes! Believe me, I know the feeling as I just went through this and I don't regret holding out and not getting that target deer.

That was my thought. If you have a pattern now then I would try to capitalize on it right now. The pattern will change soon.

Machzrcr, nice pickle. Back trace the big one by finding where his staging area is during shooting light via trail camera. Hang a stand with good entry and exits with correct wind. Or you could wait until the rut shuffles the deck and hunt doe groups nearby. 

Edited by Gill-T

My daughter is in the same tree Tommy killed his deer in earlier this season.
Have some pics of another nice deer in the area. Hope she sees something cool tonight. IMG_1693.JPGAdjustments.JPGAdjustments.JPG

• Like 3