Legacy -The 2020 Season-

Legacy

October 21 pm
Daytime high of 72 degrees but 54 at dusk
Cloudy
SW wind 10-15 becoming calm
Showers subsiding around 3ish

Weather seemed like it was going to make for a good pm hunt and I guessed right for once. Rain quit, temps cooled down, and wind died right down. Last hour was like magic out there in the cut beans. 30+ deer, 7-9 bucks (two shooters). Lots of chasing, bumping, and scent checking of does. Couldn't help but feel sorry for the does Watched 3 bucks work different field scrapes and I walked past 5 scrapes on my walk in! Things are about to get good out there!!!

IMG_20201021_165825669.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

Had another good day.  Wind wasn’t cooperating with me and with 74degrees for the high. I had to get up move around a little bit.  I knew there was a good bear in the swamp I’m hunting and sure enough I jumped him and got a peak at him. Tough to say, but by the sign I seen and the slight look, 300-400lb range. Visibility in the laurels was 20yrds so I couldn’t get a confident shot. I pulled out and drive to my swamps in two different county's and pulled my 2 spypoint cameras that haven’t been doin much.  After another 10mile day I got my camreas in my bag and tomarrow morning its time to learn this bear, and get them back out after this guy.   2 more days of muzzleloader and then another week of bear archery after.  Things are lookin up!

Not lookin good. Definitely the bore I was after. After the shot i watched him runnoff trou a timber cut and he didnt look injured. After walkin to where i shot a sal with 3 cubs took off in the same direction. 
i searched for blood and hair but nothin. Gonna give it an hour or two and go into the laurels after him

October 21 pm
Daytime high of 72 degrees but 54 at dusk
Cloudy
SW wind 10-15 becoming calm
Showers subsiding around 3ish

Weather seemed like it was going to make for a good pm hunt and I guessed right for once. Rain quit, temps cooled down, and wind died right down. Last hour was like magic out there in the cut beans. 30+ deer, 7-9 bucks (two shooters). Lots of chasing, bumping, and scent checking of does. Couldn't help but feel sorry for the does Watched 3 bucks work different field scrapes and I walked past 5 scrapes on my walk in! Things are about to get good out there!!!

IMG_20201021_165825669.thumb.jpeg.a670b5f5cb6aafe9bda3bd7fe4b63a2b.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You see more deer in one night than I do all season. I’m excited to see one or two a day out my way. Love following you guys and all the stories. Makes for my long “eventless” sits tolerable

‘Bout Time
Mike
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, bout time said:

You see more deer in one night than I do all season. I’m excited to see one or two a day out my way. Love following you guys and all the stories. Makes for my long “eventless” sits tolerable

‘Bout Time
Mike

I'm with you on this one!  It's a good sit if i see a deer or two.  Can't blame the farmers for protecting their crops, but the damage permits have really killed the deer population around me.

51 minutes ago, Guppy35 said:

I'm with you on this one!  It's a good sit if i see a deer or two.  Can't blame the farmers for protecting their crops, but the damage permits have really killed the deer population around me.

deer permits due suck, i got one even worse,  i live and hunt  in the DMFA zone

some idiot at DEC  thought it was a good idea, to let people shoot 2 deer per day every day in Jan

that hurt

2 hours ago, bout time said:

‘Bout Time
Mike

Some times the property just does not setup well for daytime movement. Last year was the first time I hunted on a new property that my father bought and it had tons of deer sign, but hardly any daytime movement. I knew I would have to manipulate the circumstances in order to get numbers during legal light. So three food plots later I have at least 8-14 does during legal light every day. It's just tough for the guys who are not able to make any land improvements, I feel for them as they are in a real bind if the property is not a good one. 

Rain sucks. I was in the stand getting wet without my raingear when around 7:30 am, a woman comes walking by...she shot an eight point last night and was trying to find it, but was unfamiliar with the property lines. I got down and helped her look for an hour, along with her boyfriend, but to no avail. She only got 8" of penetration, sounded like a single lung shot (her boyfriend saw the shot and the blood was bright red frothy). They tracked it for ~150 yards last night before deciding to let it lay, but low and behold the freakin' rain came and the blood trail was gone. They'd hoped it had bedded in my field and died. No such luck.

So, I got soaked, didn't get to hunt, and she didn't find her deer. Not a day for the books.

Some times the property just does not setup well for daytime movement. Last year was the first time I hunted on a new property that my father bought and it had tons of deer sign, but hardly any daytime movement. I knew I would have to manipulate the circumstances in order to get numbers during legal light. So three food plots later I have at least 8-14 does during legal light every day. It's just tough for the guys who are not able to make any land improvements, I feel for them as they are in a real bind if the property is not a good one. 

That is my property. It is a 250 acre farm that the owner leases out to to Co-Op. I am at the mercy of what they plant and when they harvest. My “section” is between a bedding area and the crops. I either get movement first light/last light or not at all. I’d love to own a piece of my own to plant some plots but I cannot complain as I have somewhere to hunt

‘Bout Time
Mike

Rain sucks. I was in the stand getting wet without my raingear when around 7:30 am, a woman comes walking by...she shot an eight point last night and was trying to find it, but was unfamiliar with the property lines. I got down and helped her look for an hour, along with her boyfriend, but to no avail. She only got 8" of penetration, sounded like a single lung shot (her boyfriend saw the shot and the blood was bright red frothy). They tracked it for ~150 yards last night before deciding to let it lay, but low and behold the freakin' rain came and the blood trail was gone. They'd hoped it had bedded in my field and died. No such luck.

So, I got soaked, didn't get to hunt, and she didn't find her deer. Not a day for the books.

Good deeds often will be rewarded.

‘Bout Time
Mike