Legacy -The 2020 Season-

Legacy

Went and managed to fill a doe tag for one of the land owners that I hunt on their property. And my 1st kill with my savage 220. (Had it 3 yrs no, passed up many deer just never pulled the trigger? On my way out I saw some pretty good buck sign since I had been there last. May have to get a camera in there. Other spots were seeing some does and a few smaller bucks. Nothing too big but a couple id love to take using my bow. received_230735868398420.jpeg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 4

So I picked up my euro from my opening day buck this week, guy said that it was the oldest deer he has ever done, had it aged at 7-1/2 years plus.  In looking at the teeth, they were so ground down and some had hollow pockets from breaking down.  Unreal.  Most likely the deer was on a downward side of size from his prior years.  I have never killed one that old, all my larger deer have been at 3-1/2 years.  Thought it was worth sharing.  Congrats on all the great deer being taken.

690C7960-3C11-46CC-AF20-BAED636FCEB9.jpeg

5F16A0AC-2DE3-417F-BF37-C6F76AEEBEFB.jpeg

7B537234-DA08-43E1-9EFC-7A00FF4AF64F.jpeg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, machzrcr said:

Went and managed to fill a doe tag for one of the land owners that I hunt on their property. And my 1st kill with my savage 220. (Had it 3 yrs no, passed up many deer just never pulled the trigger? On my way out I saw some pretty good buck sign since I had been there last. May have to get a camera in there. Other spots were seeing some does and a few smaller bucks. Nothing too big but a couple id love to take using my bow. received_230735868398420.jpeg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

220 is gonna be my next purchase heard many good things about it, you like it? 

8 minutes ago, Roys Boys said:

220 is gonna be my next purchase heard many good things about it, you like it? 

I recommend it. I bought mine in winter of 2019 after a bunch of people on this thread suggested it. Damn gun is deadly accurate.

• Like 1

Last sit of the year today. A couple of does at 15 yards was all. Fun gun season grind this year but the only buck I saw was a spike. I was able to hunt nine different public land tracts and was able to find some big buck sign to target during bow season next year. I think my take away from the public land hunts is we probably would be better served to follow how some states have a simplified method of regulation- your license gets you one buck tag and one doe tag (with no DMP units to add to confusion). Also, the number of land owner tags available needs to be reduced. If a farmer needs more deer shot of their land, they can give permission to hunters looking for a place to hunt. 

• Like 11

Gill, why is your season over?
I’m going with the bow in the morning.
Won’t get another chance for a week.
No expectations other than a short easy walk in and great coffee.
Anything more will be a bonus. Seems like every big doe I see has kids in tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Gill, why is your season over?
I’m going with the bow in the morning.
Won’t get another chance for a week.
No expectations other than a short easy walk in and great coffee.
Anything more will be a bonus. Seems like every big doe I see has kids in tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Good luck in the morning. Take your coffee with you, going to be cold. 

128806076_1435470473330897_3759304739135231447_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108%26ccb=2%26_nc_sid=8bfeb9%26_nc_ohc=H7biCe2isU0AX9cE2Pl%26_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx%26oh=b2fb7310adcfa68e00d579bb6c3a3ffd%26oe=5FF3D535&key=969f5b752d6a27478bda4762c85dae2d12220f1996f3ed7d043730fb0f3de2c5

I got one those walking around now. Hit a 115 ish yesterday with cbow. Looked good sounded good but no good. Watched him go lay down so we thought. Let him go for 4 hours. Then of course here comes big rain wet crap. Did manage to find blood where he stopped that was the end. Looked big time no avail. Found my bolt broke in 2 places
Might have bounced off of some brush on the way to him. Those bolts r so fast I can’t c them. I’ll look today for dog tracks. It sucks for the deer not me.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good luck to all. Love seeing the success stories. I havent been out since shooting a buck last weekend. With meat in the freezer, im really trying to lay low until late season. I am truly grateful to wrap a tag around a set of horns but nothing compares to the hunt. But damn Im missing the time in the woods.

I finally cleared my work schedule so I should be able to hunt the entire late season. My hopes are to hunt with my kid and get him a shot at another buck. The biggest challenge will be to get him to commit to the grind.

My plan is to spend some more time with him at the range this week and really try to educate him on the muzzleloader. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, brucehookedup said:

I got one those walking around now. Hit a 115 ish yesterday with cbow. Looked good sounded good but no good. Watched him go lay down so we thought. Let him go for 4 hours. Then of course here comes big rain wet crap. Did manage to find blood where he stopped that was the end. Looked big time no avail. Found my bolt broke in 2 places
Might have bounced off of some brush on the way to him. Those bolts r so fast I can’t c them. I’ll look today for dog tracks. It sucks for the deer not me.

Sucks. I hate loosing deer. Good luck.

My season is put on hold. My wife has tested Positive for COVID and she has it bad. Just about every symptom. She was and has been the most cautious and careful about this and it blows our mind how or where she got it. I’m on contact quarantine for 14 days now. I will be released on the 15th. I will hunt muzzleloader for the first time ever this year.

I enjoy reading this thread as it “lets me live” through all of you while I’m stuck inside.

Look forward to all the stories and be safe everyone

‘Bout Time
Mike

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bout time said:

My season is put on hold. My wife has tested Positive for COVID and she has it bad. Just about every symptom. She was and has been the most cautious and careful about this and it blows our mind how or where she got it. I’m on contact quarantine for 14 days now. I will be released on the 15th. I will hunt muzzleloader for the first time ever this year.

I enjoy reading this thread as it “lets me live” through all of you while I’m stuck inside.

‘Bout Time
Mike

Damn. Good luck and wishing good health to both of you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bout time said:

‘Bout Time
Mike

All the best to both of you

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fishon11 said:

Thinking about possibly purchasing a new muzzleloader setup and wondered what kind of feedback I can get from all you guys.... just had shoulder surgery so probably done for this year but I’m itchin for new setup for next year... thanks

CVA Paramount, you can’t find a more accurate and well made production gun. In my opinion. 

56 minutes ago, Fishon11 said:

Thinking about possibly purchasing a new muzzleloader setup and wondered what kind of feedback I can get from all you guys.... just had shoulder surgery so probably done for this year but I’m itchin for new setup for next year... thanks

Im not sure how into muzzleloading you are or how simple ya wanna keep things but id seriously look into the smokeless game.. search hankins custom rifles on youtube and watch some vids.. but id suggest a converted scout

https://hanksprecisiongunparts.com/p/cva-scout-v2-converted-to-muzzleloader-complete-kit