Legacy -The 2020 Season-

Legacy

Almost time to hit the woods again! Amazing how fast the Summer goes by! I complain every year that I am behind the 8 ball on the year and this year is really nothing new. I spent some time in the woods getting things ready for this season directly after last season but there is always things that need to be done. Mother Nature slapped us with a small craft advisory so I spent the day in the woods hanging cameras and trimming/checking stands.I figured since I dedicated the day to working in the woods I probably should spark the 2020 version of this thread.

Really nothing new for me except a couple of weeks ago I ordered 5 new tree stands. Three of which I know where they are going and the other 2... who knows yet. Plan is to get them hung this week sometime though.

So what is everyone else up to?

• Like 3

I hung a new stand last week and noticed as I was hanging it that the tree right next to me that I was leaning on was covered in poison ivy. Next morning I woke up with poison ivy all over the left side of my neck and face. That’s always a fun time! Anyway, it’s going to be a nice set. Looking forward to the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

8 hours ago, fisherman21 said:

I hung a new stand last week and noticed as I was hanging it that the tree right next to me that I was leaning on was covered in poison ivy. Next morning I woke up with poison ivy all over the left side of my neck and face. That’s always a fun time! Anyway, it’s going to be a nice set. Looking forward to the season.

Ha ha. This seems to be something that happens to me every year.

• Like 1

Jeff handed the pole saw to me in the stand yesterday, right through a bunch of those hanging ivy vines that are so big they look like branches. Too early to tell if we got it...but likely so. It's a regular thing.

With more dead ash around, that's becoming a common sight. Sight, cut, repeat. Concentrated Gly Phos (Roundup vine and brush killer) works well on the cut ends to prevent their regrowing, but FYI stay away from soil active stuff like Tordon, or chemicals that can transfer root-to-root. I was naive when we first started habitat work, and I think Tordon does more collateral damage than good. 

I haven't hung my regular Browning cameras yet, but I have three Moultrie and one Spypoint cell cams collecting information. I'm not seeing the bucks that guys with cameras on the beans are seeing, but it is early yet. Most of the stand work is done - we started as soon as season was over last year and never really quit screwing around with them - and next up is installing Deerviewblind windows in the towers and repairing a hole in the roof of one of them. Who uses particle board for a roof?? That's what I inherited when we bought the property in Albion. We replaced the floor last fall and should have done the roof this spring, but COVID set up back some. We did manage a socially-distanced fruit tree planting party where we go thirty apple, pear and crabs in the ground and caged (thanks, guys!). I'll post pictures as the season progresses. Maybe Brian will put up a picture of his tower blind in Brockport, built in his garage and assembled on site. It's a beast.

Edited by Gator

You will love that blind!

My favorite tree and most others in the woods are dead enough for me. Bummer love my climber too.

Anybody use a portable carry in and out tripod?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

You will love that blind!

My favorite tree and most others in the woods are dead enough for me. Bummer love my climber too.

Anybody use a portable carry in and out tripod?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I have a muddy tripod for the same reason. I love it. Very comfortable and stable. It’s not “portable”, but you could definitely fashion a set of wheels on the one end to help make it a one man job.

Definitely looking forward to the season. I have a new bow, new food plots and some nice new sets that should produce nicely. Approximately 10000000000 does and fawns on the property with only small bucks for now. But come mid September some cruising bruisers will show up. Just an FYI, I have started to place "licking" vine scraps all around my property with a 5' section of vine and the deer are hammering it. Bucks, does and fawns are hitting each one with their orbital glands every day. Hoping that these will be the deal sealers on some big ones come late October.

• Like 1

Man, can’t believe the bone is showing. Seems like yesterday we were cutting up the last deer. Damn it’s good to see fall around the corner!

A basket 6 walked by the camera at the front gate of work last night.  No velvet left.  Its getting closer!

IMG_8581.JPG

• Haha 4

I got a nice picture of a bloody rack yesterday, while finishing trimming stands and setting ground blinds. I'm officially done with what I can accomplish in time for season. We leave for the ADK next weekend, and once we're back it won't be long before it's on like Donkey Kong. 

On 8/30/2020 at 8:53 PM, fisherman21 said:

I did that but didn't realize it until after I had gone to the bathroom, it wasn't good.

• Like 1

Interesting Idea.

Additional Bowhunting and Muzzleloading Opportunities Proposed for Southern Zone between Christmas and New Year's Day; Public Comments Accepted through November 8

Hope the online training emphasized no trespassing. Could be a lot of people in the woods this year.

DEC REPORTS RECORD SALES FOR BIG GAME HUNTING AND TRAPPING LICENSES, NEARLY TRIPLE 2019 OPENING DAY SALES