Lakers and Death Traps

I'm awaiting my first death trap and gambler rig to arrive in the mail. I'm going to use it to fish for lakers out of North East in

Lake Erie. How far back from the rigger weight are you running the death trap? how far off the trap should I run the rig?  

thanks

Matt 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 9:28 PM, PA Matt said:

I'm awaiting my first death trap and gambler rig to arrive in the mail. I'm going to use it to fish for lakers out of North East in

Lake Erie. How far back from the rigger weight are you running the death trap? how far off the trap should I run the rig?  

thanks

Matt 

Matt -- have you had any luck with Lakers recently?  I went out to North East area to practice my King program for my upcoming Ontario trip and was hoping to hook up a few Lakers but I couldn't find them.  I was working north of the mountain in about 100-110 FOW then ducked south of the mountain with no luck.  Saw few marks on the bottom.  Marks were all mid water column which I assumed were walleye.  Funny I caught a walleye off the bottom in 47 degrees water in 100 FOW on a flasher and spinfish!  I know the lakers will be in tight in a month or so to spawn which is a riot to with the jigging rod, but I wasn't sure where they are in this in-between time.  I caught over 200 of them in the spring with dipsey w/ flashers and spin n glows and then later in the spring it was all spoons.   I never had much luck with the cow bells, which I hear are better off riggers.  

I have not had luck recently. I was told around 2 weeks ago they were a little deeper than what you were in. North and north west of the marina. 

Unfortunately I think I lost one of the head gaskets so looks like my season is done. Going to pull the boat this weekend or next.