You will find that trolling with jugs has a real natural feeling to it. The advantages are that they preoccupy the guys on the boat making the passing of time seem quicker on a slow day. The disadvantages are that on a good day guys miss strikes because their eyes are on the jugs. I have also had guys fighting fish, turn their focus to the jugs and tangle lines because of this distraction. I have not been able to be as consistent trolling with jugs as I would like to be, but I continue to try. I have seen some charter captains trolling with up to 4 sets of jugs and I am amazed whenever they troll by.

Perhaps some other guys could be more helpful on this subject. It is a most fascinating topic and technique.

CC

Yep -- Pairs.

Generally you want to just borrow them or observe them on other boats. I tried "BUYING" them once and found that "ownership" was very expensive and maintenance was a nightmare.

Best advice -- keep "your own" away from boat!!

CC

I've heard of people running seth green riggs from a jug. I believe they get their spoons out and down then attach a jug to distance that set from the boat. They then can run another rig without any tangles. Never done it just heard about it.

I have never done it... but if I did... I would use the water noodles recomended in that article as my float but fashion as follows (from end to end) Lead decoy anchor > 10-20 ft of para cord > half a water noodle with cord attached at one end > 30 lb leader attached from water noodle at same end as the para cord, with a 3/4 oz bass sinker tied at the end and two baited snells off the middle > 10 more feet of para cord then another water noodle rig (repeat 2 more times) > then 10-20 ft of cord and another decoy anchor.

I would tie the para cord and line off one end of the water so that it stands on end when a fish strikes, I would use swivel snaps to attach the leaders to the noodle and the snells to the line so that i can put it away easily with minimal tangles.

now my last thing is.... is this legal?

My father showed me seth green rigging or bleach bottle rigging, on hemlock a few years ago and it was interesting, we used a small boat bumper with the eyes built in to each end, ran our dropper weight down with 5 spoons off of it down the shoot took a few fish but was kind of cumbersome to deal with at the boat.

You end up hand lining the fish once you get the bottle in and get to the leaders of different lengths. It was very effective but I couldnt imagine fishing it on larger sized fish.

Assuming you are talking about fishing with a seth green rig. Using the jug is not too difficult. A 1 gallon bleach jug is all you need. Wrap heavy mono around it 8 or ten times with a swivel on the line, and tie it off so it cant move. Let out your seth green rig to the desired depth/color. Bend the leadcore (be careful not to kink it), run the bend through the jug handle and loop it around the top of the jug to hold the depth. Run the end going to the spoons through the swivel. I leave the swivel open, it is just there to help the jug track straight. Let the rig out off the back of the boat. I like to keep it quite a ways back to avoid other lines. When you have a fish on just reel the rig up to the boat, take the jug off and bring the fish the rest of the way up. It can be a challenge bringing it in, especially with an active fish, but it is a good way to get another rig out.

Dan

So your talking about running it with a seth green rig............ I think a giant pike bobber with a center pin would be your best bet... that way you could just pull the pin when it got to the boat.

I think GLA talked about using them for copper in the last issue.