Starcraft 221V rebuild

Baddad1

So before I get started, thought I should set a reasonable budget and decided what better way than to reach out to some experienced people and ask for their honest opinions... What does everyone feel is the value of a late 80's Starcraft Islander in good working order with a freshened up 4.3L, new deck and transom is really worth? Is it really worth replacing all the canvas ( it has a two piece top with the sides and back to make into what I believe is referred to as a "camper" top) adding new electronics, a decent trolling set-up and possibly a newer Kicker motor?  I'm not taking on this project to flip it, but I don't want to foolishly toss cash at this without having some idea where to limit myself. 

So I ask: If this was your project boat, how would you spend the money and what would be your limit? 

Edited by Baddad1
Grammer

I cant say to what the value of the finished boat would be, but I can talk a little about the money I've put in mine. I completely gutted my starcraft holiday down to the bare aluminum, sealed the rivets with gluvit, new foam, new floor, new vinyl, and new transom, new seats etc. If I think about what I paid for the boat plus what I've got in it in materials and time, I think I'm upside down in the whole project. That being said, I have no intention of selling the boat and I know structurally it's like brand new. The other benefit is that you can build it to exactly what you want. 

But, those islanders are a very desirable boat for lake O, so you might make out ok. Honestly two of the most expensive things will be anything that has to do with the motor and the new canvas. Materials such as flooring, epoxy etc aren't too expensive. Just buy the best materials you can and dont skimp out. You dont want to be doing it again anytime soon.

If it were me, the first and most important thing to check is the transom. Is it original? What shape is the wood in? The transom is such an important structural piece to the hull. And any stringers but I have a feeling those are all aluminum in that hull. As far as limit, I have no idea. Maybe others could speak to what that finished boat would be worth.

Knowing what you have in the end as well and not paying for something that just gets tossed is why I decided to start with this project. I'm sure I'll be upside down as well as I have a bad habit of biting on shiny things... 

Yeah. For me, it came down to buying a newer boat, but not knowing what I had. Or, rebuilding mine and I know exactly what I have and that it is all brand new. I had just done a bunch of work on my motor so I knew it was solid. In the end it was fun building it the way I wanted. I also splurged for a few shiny things that came into play haha. Somehow a new Garmin fishfinder/GPS made it's way onto the dash. Weird haha

Fortunately the wife forgives most of my transgressions, but I’m prepared with: Baby your new car is going to depreciate more than that boat ever will.... [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Rebuilding an Islander is like investing in a marriage. The more you invest, the better it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 2

I agree with sstout ,I just finished a major rebuild on a 221 complete gutting.I had to have a new transom skin welded in. It suffered some severe corrosion ,so a new transom was welded in,{I refitted with a outboard bracket}  I had to engineer several brackets to the transom and the motor mounts in the boat.I went overkill on it ,but the transom does not flex with a 150 hp on it! had to drill out about 2 dozen rivets and replace them on hull The chines or stakes  rivets at the cuddy bulkhead area need ed to be replaced ,but these rivets were replaced with button head bolts {these rivets have a high failure rate on all the boats I  looked at }.Plan on pulling out all the foam it will either be water logged or mouse infested. An old saw and a shovel will be your best friend. 

.The interior was all replaced ,I used carpet ,All  the ply wood  was sealed with epoxy prior to installation. New seats I built all cabinets to place seats on ,this gave me storage area.                                                                                                                       On the glass YOU cannot get new gaskets to fit the window frames Taylor made no longer makes them,I spent hours on the phone calling different moulding makers .I took the windows apart and cleaned up tracks ,Put the mouldings in a big pot of boiling water and stretched them out to  the lgh of the channels I don't know how long this will last but at 2 years they are still fitting .  The bottom line on the project is how much time do You want to spend on it ,how long or how far do you want to go on rebuild.I read a lot on Various rebuilds at iboats .On the unit I bought, the trailer was worth more than the boat.Still after rebuild I have less in it than a newer used boat,and I know what I have .Its a tedious process but worth every minute in my own opinion!   Cost wise I have aprox.$2500 in materials ,Foam ,plywood ,carpet, seats, bracket,sealers,Transom rebuild and a 150hp motor. This also includes trailer rebuild and tires.  Don't rush yourself .    

Tip my hat to anyone that can accomplish so much for so little!

You did catch my attention about the bulkhead. By any chance do you have pictures of what I should be looking for? I’m optimistic about the corrosion as I’m not seeing any around the exposed areas. Great tip on the rubber channel! There is one triangular window busted on the starboard side. The shape looks sorta formed rather than just flat. Any information on that?

Baddad1; on the glass, you can have one made but its pricey .I had same issue, I made a pattern and and had one made at local glass company out of Lexan used 3/16 in. On my 85 it was flat.                                                                                                 On bulkhead area on the first steep rib the bottom 4/5 rivets on the rib the inside bases will be missing.When replacing if bad  ,I used sealant around rivets and or bolts.After I cleaned hull out I also used 5qts of gluvit to seal all rivets seams and  on any areas that was repaired.Use it on inside it deteriorates in sunlite .                                                                                                     To test rivets buy a suction body panel puller at harbor frt.  place this over rivet head on outside of boat and close it pull on it with lite to moderate pressure pull on it,if it holds rivet is sealed and in good shape; if it drops off or easily pulls off easily that rivet is leaking and needs replacing or reset. The puller  I use is 3in in dia..Setting rivets requires 2 people one inside and one outside easy to do takes some time, but not rocket science.I also lucked out and found a full canvas kit for mine .                         One thing to keep in mind the more material you order on line from the same place will save you a bundle in shipping !!!! Jamestown distributors is  a good source.  Do not hesitate to ask questions simple things confounds us all once in a while . .That's the purpose of these boards .I will look to see if I can find some pictures of before .They are on a dead phone here somewhere.

Recently purchased a project boat to get my fish-on...

Hopefully this is the right place to post a couple images. 
89566141-77AD-47D6-8537-1F76F9CE28DE_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.041e282fde6ff823f21f89ea96ee4452.jpeg

I-Boats has some great threads on Islander rebuilding.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

X2 on gluvit. Good stuff. Just make sure the aluminum is super clean before you put it on. Also Jamestown distributors is great. I ordered all the epoxy for sealing both the wood floor and transom. Make sure to use marine grade ply. Not pressure treat. Itll eat the aluminum. It's not cheap but worth it. 

Several ?s Looks like a big job ! Have you done anything like this before ? Can you block out the time to go right through the work rather than short sessions which often does not work ! Have seen boat projects that were never finished , wasted time and $  ! Can you get a helper even part time will speed up the job ! The successful boats were started now fair weather ! Sorry no more fishing or hunting ! By November you should have a good handle of the job to finish in the spring , no more fishing until the job is done !

• Like 1

This is a big job,It can be done part time or "balls to the wall"..I worked a 10 to 12 hour a day job All the while putting a boy thru college,A 6 month break while my wife recovered from cancer and ortho surgery. This project became my peaceful time.The major time i had was fitting the transom plywood .It was a B.... to do by myself ,but with the help of a bottle jack some 2x4's  it got done, backwoods engineering; always keep this in mind" I can do this "!  This was my 2nd rebuild on a boat ,the first was a 19.5 Bluefin Fish an Ski.That was a nitemare P.O. put PT plywood over the rotted out floor.Consoles were rotted out it took a month to tear down and rebuild and refit. still have and use this as my small lake boat. My helper on that was my son.  On the Starcraft, I called on my fishing buddies too give a hand when they were free.Especially on the rivet replacement ,I Had everything ready to replace them when I called on their help,all rivets drilled out or marked to reset.90 to 95 % of work was solo  .I dont have a garage so I purchased a car port from Harbor frt .The legs were not high enough to put over boat ,I went to local muffler shop and had them take exhaust pipe cut it to the lgh I needed .Went thru 2 of them due to wind damage.Tie downs ripped out of ground and it went into a twisted turtle,yeah ,tie downs were 2Ft of rebar with eye drove to grd level.                                    So Be Prepared. for set backs and things beyond your control to go wrong.Would I do another one Yes.Rollmops said it They are like a marriage.And I found a 26fter I'm trying to purchase,if I get this one it will be a rebuild for resale ,bad its an  OMC outdrive.                                                                                                                                                                                                     If in a jam ask questions on here YOU will get answers or advice. also look at iboats.com  Starcraft Rebuilds Alot of good info there alot of the photos there  were hijacked by the cloud .  

Appreciate your concern and questions. Wife often thinks I need to get my head examined as well...

No worries on my capabilities. I’m not in a great rush, plan to have it apart and motor pulled by Thanksgiving.

I truly appreciate positive input and experienced suggestions. Not looking to reinvent the wheel.

IMG_1038.JPG

On a positive note, thought I would share a picture of my son on his maiden fishing trip with his new to him boat.

The old man and his good looking kid got lucky and just happened to see a fish jump by a floating log some 30+ miles at sea. Nothing like limiting out on Mahi on your first trip!

Hey! i'm overhauling my seanymph gls195. not as big as yours but a big project non the less. Check out my thread. i'm doing a vlog on the rebuild you can check out too. Cost not so expensive. I'm in Canada and i figure if i splurge i'll be around the $1500-$2000 mark. That includes painting the outside with new decals. Biggest thing is time. I dont have mine gutted  yet and i have about 20 hours in it. I recon i'll be around the 200 hr mark by the tiem i'm done. If you have any questions feel free to message me! More than happy to help

A warm hello to my neighbor on the North side of the pond...

Thanks for the invite to your thread. I had taken a look before and noticed the nice cover you have. I was wondering what size, I’m looking for one at least 8m long.

My focus this past weekend was my wife. Last chance to spend some quality time together before things start to get busy. As they say: Happy wife...

I rebuilt mine 3 years ago. Stripped it completely down to aluiminum  even removed all glass. New transom ,floors hatches sides, cabin wall, vinyl, carpet, paint,wiring,fuel filler and vent lines,wiring, the works. Dont cheap out on anything or you will be sorry. I used mid grade carpet because I had so much money into it. Now the carpet has bleached and started breaking down. A complete rebuild done yourself will be around 10,000 using all quality stuff.

Here's a few pics ,the seats have since been replaced. 

20190827_185650.jpg

20190827_185749.jpg

20190827_185611.jpg

20190827_185726.jpg