Tribute to the Blue

HB2

So my neighbor is a Rochester city officer . She is on the front lines with the face shield and  night stick pushing back "peacefull protesters" . She tells my wife the other night she had a commercial fireworks go off a few feet from her and has powder burns , has things thrown at her , people screaming in her face calling her everything in the book . Her eyes burn from pepper spray they have to use .  She has been out there since the beginning of all this .And it has been he'll.  

I tell my wife we  have to do something for her . We get her a 12 pack of local craft brew , my wife bakes her something and we go over this morning . Bang on the door and her family is there . I say we want  you to have this for all the BS crap you have been taking and we support you and are gratefull for you, appreciate you , and keep your head up . 

She breaks down in my wife's arms. Wasn't expecting that  .Said it is tough because they revive  no support from the Mayor ,etc . Occasionally people thank them . 

She feels torn between her young family and kids and her brothers and sisters on the force who are exhausted . 

So if you know someone and love someone , even if you don't , let them know . Tell them we are out here and appreciate what they are doing . And  to  keep their head up . They need to hear it . As I found out today . 

Edited by HB2
  • Like 12

They are often taken for granted during so-called "normal" times but they are truly the barrier between total chaos and our ability to lead fairly mundane lives. It is a shame that the actions of a few poorly trained officers are generalized to entire police forces and law enforcement doing their job both day to day, and in these adverse circumstances are not appreciated; and especially so in the light of this covid stuff. The fact is that they are insulating most of us from the criminal actions of folks who have their own disruptive agenda and it is not related to "peaceful protest" or even the issues or concerns of those legitimate protestors; they are anarchists, and the looters are "opportunists" not peaceful protestors. Law enforcement needs our full support right now - not cries of "defund the police", Officers not adhering to legitimate practices need to be held fully accountable, and police unions should be held to pay and working conditions issues; not protecting officers that abuse their positions. These problems can be solved by proper training and full accountability at all levels, and society can't "throw the baby out with the bathwater" (e.g defunding of the majority good officers out there).

• Like 2