New(to me) boat - what would you look for? 10-13k range

Dan M

Selling my Tracker on Tuesday in favor of buying a bigger boat just for Lake Ontario. Found myself not fishing for musky anymore.

I think I'm going to keep it docked someplace, thinking maybe Braddocks or possibly Brockport Yacht Club (cheaper there - although Braddocks is 8 min from me).

I take good care of my things, and I want something that isn't going to be the last person's problem child. I don't mind looking for something that isn't loaded with fishing gear already in order to get a better boat - and then I can do my own additions. Although it would be nice to be turn key.

Probably going to be in the 10-13k price range, and really in no hurry to buy, might just wait until spring.

Thought and opinions would be great and appreciated. - usually going to be 2 guys on the boat, sometimes 3. 

I was thinking 23' - not sure I want to go much bigger than that (I've been in my 16' tracker for a year)

Bigger is better on O . I see a 1988 Wellcraft 25 on Craigslist [ Cape Vincent ] w/trailer ,reliable easy to work on Mercruiser 350/260hp V8. Asking 7300 , this time of year you might get it for 6 to 6500. Not going to be any harder to handle than a 23' and will hit the rough stuff a lot better than a 21-23' . You get used to the size after 1 or two outings. Leaves you a lot of room considering your budget ,to outfit her with new equipment. Fished out of one for years and was a great hull ,always felt safe and easy to land fish in.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

7 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

Bigger is better on O . I see a 1988 Wellcraft 25 on Craigslist [ Cape Vincent ] w/trailer ,reliable easy to work on Mercruiser 350/260hp V8. Asking 7300 , this time of year you might get it for 6 to 6500. Not going to be any harder to handle than a 23' and will hit the rough stuff a lot better than a 21-23' . You get used to the size after 1 or two outings. Leaves you a lot of room considering your budget ,to outfit her with new equipment. Fished out of one for years and was a great hull ,always felt safe and easy to land fish in.

I'm kinda looking for something newer - I'd love to be in the late 90s 2000s - just for fit and finish. I feel like if I'm going to be in the 80s I'm not going to be happy unless it was kept super clean. Seems like most owners don't take care of their boats like I do (i'm pretty anal)

I’d suggest that you start your search by looking at boats from 21 to 25 foot in years from let’s say 1995 to 2005.  To me starting by looking over a wider search criteria gives you a better idea of the market and what price ranges are.  What you have for a tow vehicle and whether you want a freshwater only boat are good things to consider early on as well.  Fall is a usually a good time to look- not sure if that is true this year.  IMO you might find your budget tight for a boat in the 2000’s.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dan M said:

I'm kinda looking for something newer - I'd love to be in the late 90s 2000s - just for fit and finish. I feel like if I'm going to be in the 80s I'm not going to be happy unless it was kept super clean. Seems like most owners don't take care of their boats like I do (i'm pretty anal)

I would rather own a older decently built boat with some character marks than a newer cookie cutter boat that can't handle the rough stuff . I have fished on a newer 23' fiberglass boat that if the seas are over 2' your heading for the docks ,looks all pretty back at the dock and that's the problem it's docked, not out on O. It's a fishing boat ,not a show boat. But that's me , good luck with your search.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

I would rather own a older decently built boat with some character marks than a newer cookie cutter boat that can't handle the rough stuff . I have fished on a newer 23' fiberglass boat that if the seas are over 2' your heading for the docks ,looks all pretty back at the dock and that's the problem it's docked, not out on O. It's a fishing boat ,not a show boat. But that's me , good luck with your search.

Good point there. I don't mind an older boat if it's been maintained. I know it's a fishing boat, but that' doesn't mean it has to look like crap either.

Don’t hesitate to look out of the Rochester area. The western basin of Lake Erie is a great boating area with many boat dealers. This year may be a tough search  because new and used boats are hot item thanks to the virus. Good luck

That is not a lot of money for a boat turn key and is sizable . Anything older than 15  years and you could have potential big money problems . That being said , good luck with it . 

There is a new Marina opening up some time in the future on Sandy . 

You could be my neighbor ! 

8 minutes ago, HB2 said:

That is not a lot of money for a boat turn key and is sizable . Anything older than 15  years and you could have potential big money problems . That being said , good luck with it . 

There is a new Marina opening up some time in the future on Sandy . 

You could be my neighbor ! 

What would you suggest? Dropping down to 21?

I have a 21 hardtop I/O . 

Very Seaworthy, comfortable boat .love the hardtop.

Great boat for 3 men , a little crowded 4 but good . 

No boat does everything well . That's why I have 3 . My wife says who has 3 boats ? I tell her I could have 3 girlfriends . 

I have seen a lot of nice 19 to 21 aluminum / outboards that look very fishable .But if it's strictly Salmon , it hard to beat the weight of fiberglass IMO.  

If you are going to keep it docked , a 24 is not to big . 

But again, stringer/ transom rot , lower unit/ engine rebuilds are not cheap , and it could nickle and dime you in that price range . 

Just be ready/ prepared for that . 

Edited by HB2

1985 - ten years off initial target of 1995 or newer.  West Virginia registration bit of a red flag as their are plenty of scams around. Might be worth a look if a cruiser layout fits your need.  The Watertown Craigslist that Bob mentioned with Wellcraft also has a 1995 Grady White 22 Seafarer outboard for $11,900 advertised as a 2 owner that is a pretty blank canvas- needs trailer and likely a repower to newer 4 stroke.  Could be something worth looking at.  Also a Pursuit Denali listed there as well.  These boats are more of a fishing layout. Checking boxes of what fits for you might work better than jumping at a lower price early in a search.

4 minutes ago, mr 580 said:

1985 - ten years off initial target of 1995 or newer.  West Virginia registration bit of a red flag as their are plenty of scams around. Might be worth a look if a cruiser layout fits your need.  The Watertown Craigslist that Bob mentioned with Wellcraft also has a 1995 Grady White 22 Seafarer outboard for $11,900 advertised as a 2 owner that is a pretty blank canvas- needs trailer and likely a repower to newer 4 stroke.  Could be something worth looking at.  Also a Pursuit Denali listed there as well.  These boats are more of a fishing layout. Checking boxes of what fits for you might work better than jumping at a lower price early in a search.

Looking more at pics I don't like the layout on that boat, more seating - less room for landing fish

6 minutes ago, mr 580 said:

I was just looking at that Grady - nice boat - with repower and trailer that's going to be way over budget I would think though. 

IMO the Grady might make sense if the current two stroke got you through a couple seasons or until you found a reasonably priced freshwater late model 4 stroke.  To me in today’s technology outboards give you more flexibility on a used boat.  Regarding rigging and electronics, you’ll likely want your own anyway.  Even with a new repower, it would be way less than something from like 2010 or even let’s say a well equipped new 19’ foot aluminum.  Lots of different ways to look at things and why having a checklist of what is important to you is a good way to simplify a search.  After years of helping others search for equipment, happier endings come from those with criteria and interestingly price many times drops down the list in importance. Have some fun and good luck with search!

• Like 1

I think I've narrowed it down to a walk around - I really like the interiors of the mid 90's, early 2000's - nice and simple, clean lines.

Going to keep my eye out for a 21-23' Trophy/Proline/Grady and see what comes my way

May have to up my price a bit, but if the right boat came along..

3 hours ago, Dan M said:

I think I've narrowed it down to a walk around - I really like the interiors of the mid 90's, early 2000's - nice and simple, clean lines.

Going to keep my eye out for a 21-23' Trophy/Proline/Grady and see what comes my way

May have to up my price a bit, but if the right boat came along..

2352 Trophy here... came from a 175 Alumacraft. My trophy is plenty big enough for 4 ppl, I even had 5 on it at times. Not a problem to fish with only 2 guys either, with addition of the autopilot this year I could prolly solo it if I wanted to. Fishing is more fun with ppl to me though which is why I went with the bigger boat. Keeping it docked for the season was awesome and got me out a lot more than when I used to have to trailer up to the lake. If you're ever in the Mexico area let me know and you can come check it out just to get an idea of layout, etc. 
P.S. How's my 8hp Tohatsu kicker working out for you?

1 hour ago, FishingFool34 said:

2352 Trophy here... came from a 175 Alumacraft. My trophy is plenty big enough for 4 ppl, I even had 5 on it at times. Not a problem to fish with only 2 guys either, with addition of the autopilot this year I could prolly solo it if I wanted to. Fishing is more fun with ppl to me though which is why I went with the bigger boat. Keeping it docked for the season was awesome and got me out a lot more than when I used to have to trailer up to the lake. If you're ever in the Mexico area let me know and you can come check it out just to get an idea of layout, etc. 
P.S. How's my 8hp Tohatsu kicker working out for you?

I sold it with the tracker! Ran perfect 

• Like 1

Three years ago I went from a 240 Thompson to a 262 Penny. What a difference! If you're looking for a Big O salmon only boat  and you go smaller than 25' you'll spend a lot of days on the dock. I did with the 240, not now and the dog house on a IO is a PIA. If you're not going to trailer, get enough boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sammy said:

Three years ago I went from a 240 Thompson to a 262 Penny. What a difference! If you're looking for a Big O salmon only boat  and you go smaller than 25' you'll spend a lot of days on the dock. I did with the 240, not now and the dog house on a IO is a PIA. If you're not going to trailer, get enough boat.

I’m kinda a fair weather guy so I don’t see myself out in seas tougher than a 23’ can handle honestly. 

11 hours ago, Sammy said:

Thoughts on this boat? - No trailer - what would it cost to buy a trailer? - https://watertown.craigslist.org/boa/d/chaumont-1995-grady-white-226/7190618271.html