New(to me) boat - what would you look for? 10-13k range

Dan M

Here’s what looks to be a great deal on one of the best post classic Boston Whaler models.

It’s listed on the Fisherman’s Garage Sale page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/799771550061605?view=permalink&id=3421352654570135

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

1 hour ago, John E Powell said:

Here’s what looks to be a great deal on one of the best post classic Boston Whaler models.

It’s listed on the Fisherman’s Garage Sale page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/799771550061605?view=permalink&id=3421352654570135

That's a private group - can't see the listing

I was thinking Hydrasports, Proline, Seaswirl, Trophy or Angler for the no wood construction - I havent done any research on Edgewater or Robalo, and I think whaler is going to be out of my price range

I could be wrong, am often, but I believe most of the ones you listed have wood in them.

Sorry for the late reply Dan, I have been away BBQing

You asked me if I got a survey.

I did not. The story behind my boat was this.

I setup a search for this specific model of Grady White as I knew exactly what I wanted and was willing to wait until one came up. The minute I saw it I was on the phone with the guy. He already had some calls on it but no one had looked at it yet. He is in Munising in the UP I am in the Detroit area.

He is a state trooper, with a young family. He bought the boat 6 mths prior from a gentleman from Sheyboygan, Wi. This man was the original owner. He was a doctor and had 6 boats. Was mostly into river drift type fishing so this boat was hardly ever used. The trooper loved it but decided it was too small for his family and bought a bigger Grady.

After a bunch of back and forth emaiils with pictures I took 2 days off of work and ran up there. The boat was immaculate. Even came with a 4 stroke Yamaha kicker. I paid $19k for it in 2007. came with a 2005 Eagle custom built trailer that I just love, the boat is so easy to load. A lot easier than my old Crestliner with a roller trailer!

I did talk to a surveyor and he was available should I have decided to get one while I was there, but after seeing it I decided that was not necessary.

One the Hydrasports you are considering, looks like a good candidate. Dont be afraid of that motor! Its one of the best Johnsons made. Also do not listen to people that will tell you the VRO system is junk. They had updated it and that motor had the latest version. I would look to see if its still connected. A lot of people took them off being that they had a bad reputation form earlier models in the 80's.

Its a loud motor and sucks the gas but they are great. I have a 1995 200 Ocean Runner.

I can send you some links for reading up on the VRO is you want, there is information on the Continuous Wave forums. Thats a Boston Whaler group but they used those motors on them back then

Good luck in your search. Also I would not be afraid of wood. Wood has been used for as long as man has floated the water. Just has to be a solid boat is all.

Edited by Michigan Brian
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Michigan Brian said:

Sorry for the late reply Dan, I have been away BBQing

You asked me if I got a survey.

I did not. The story behind my boat was this.

I setup a search for this specific model of Grady White as I knew exactly what I wanted and was willing to wait until one came up. The minute I saw it I was on the phone with the guy. He already had some calls on it but no one had looked at it yet. He is in Munising in the UP I am in the Detroit area.

He is a state trooper, with a young family. He bought the boat 6 mths prior from a gentleman from Sheyboygan, Wi. This man was the original owner. He was a doctor and had 6 boats. Was mostly into river drift type fishing so this boat was hardly ever used. The trooper loved it but decided it was too small for his family and bought a bigger Grady.

After a bunch of back and forth emaiils with pictures I took 2 days off of work and ran up there. The boat was immaculate. Even came with a 4 stroke Yamaha kicker. I paid $19k for it in 2007. came with a 2005 Eagle custom built trailer that I just love, the boat is so easy to load. A lot easier than my old Crestliner with a roller trailer!

I did talk to a surveyor and he was available should I have decided to get one while I was there, but after seeing it I decided that was not necessary.

One the Hydrasports you are considering, looks like a good candidate. Dont be afraid of that motor! Its one of the best Johnsons made. Also do not listen to people that will tell you the VRO system is junk. They had updated it and that motor had the latest version. I would look to see if its still connected. A lot of people took them off being that they had a bad reputation form earlier models in the 80's.

Its a loud motor and sucks the gas but they are great. I have a 1995 200 Ocean Runner.

I can send you some links for reading up on the VRO is you want, there is information on the Continuous Wave forums. Thats a Boston Whaler group but they used those motors on them back then

Good luck in your search. Also I would not be afraid of wood. Wood has been used for as long as man has floated the water. Just has to be a solid boat is all.

Looking at the Hydra Sports - is it possible to add a kicker to that style of transom? Not sure how it would be trolling Lake O?

Now that you mentioned it I just looked at that transom. I am not a fan of those, it can be hard to net a good size fish unless you climb out there and I am not fond of that.

You also lose a lot cockpit space to that built in swim platform. 

I have seen kickers mounted to them.

Edited by Michigan Brian

Might be a bit bigger than your looking for ,but you wont lose money on it and bigger is better on O.  1987 27 Tiara Open , 600 hours on rebuilt 350 crusaders ,1400 hours on hull. New Simrad GO 7 extra props ,new risers, exhaust manifolds. Soft top with Radar arch and launchers , asking 16,500. Friends boat , not listed anywhere else ,yet.

Here are my thoughts, too many people look at the age of the boat to decide the value of the boat. I don't think that is the case. A couple of years ago I was looking for a boat between 10k and 50k. I know that seems strange however it was the choice between paying cash or taking out a separate mortgage. After lots, and I mean lots of looking I went for something 15k, reason being is that 15 year old boats have the exact same issues and 40 year old boats (stringers, engine hours...). Now I have a 1978 Silverton that was inexpensive, reliable and makes me happy. That being said, when you are looking at the 10 to 15k price range, any year, you need to be able to do your own work.  A couple of things to look for:

1. Talk to the owner, does he love the boat? or Is he glad to get rid of it?

2. Look at the bilge, if its dirty walk away, a good owner cleans the bilge, a bad owner doesn't

3. Don't be shy of salt water, the little animals in fresh water cause stringer rot , so you don't have to be as concerned with rot in salt water, plus it is pretty easy to change the heat exchanger. I would stay away from salt water if it raw water cooled.

4. Stick with a outboard or inboard, I/O's have a lot of maintenance (I've had two, every time I've had to put a bunch of money into a boat it because its I/O)

Justin

You can also look for a boat with a good hull for a lot less and use the difference to re power especially with an outboard on an alluminum hull think sabre or Islander type its an option I am going back and forth on my next boat being same size as current boat (sea nymph gls 195) towable or going up a bit and slipping it's a lot of fun looking especially as the budget actually becomees a reality I wish you luck

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Finally! Waited on a lien release forever. Next season is going to be great! 2008 Trophy Pro 2152. Thanks Joe - I'll put it to good use! (He had it listed on here a couple years ago - thankfully his wife talked him out of the sale!)

2.jpg.93440428cab6d6f3266cff0f432ab952.jpg

3.jpg.2ce46b5f2c9f2d7f395a8dde64af94b7.jpg

4.jpg.de442a5b844432bc7c7385f41305da8c.jpg

5.jpg.e0d49ea3794e49c6e732f9d214d27bf1.jpg

121983713_691050165164916_8490321731563260720_n.jpg