rifled barrel question?

Rifled barrels should have sabbot slugs shot through them. A rifled slug will want to spin as soon as it is fired and can have negative efects on the rifling in your barrel. Lead will build up in the riflings too. Rifled slugs are ment to be shot out of smooth barrels. A sabbot slug has a plastic wad around the slug and will not naturaly spin when fired. The slug will begin to spin as the wad comes in contact with the rifling. The plastic wad will keep your rifling from getting fouled with lead.

This will help your accuracy and also help your barrel last forever.

• 5 weeks later...

I concur. Don not shoot rifled slugs out of your rilfed barrel. You can in short order make an accurate gun very inaccurate. And why take a chance at wounding a deer, or missing that buck of a lifetime. As stated above shoot the sabot slugs.

There are a ton of different sabots to shoot, and some really cool rounds. Do your homework, and you'll find a round that shoots well in your gun, and fits your hunting style. I shoot a 20gage with a rifled barrel, 2-3/4 inche sabots, the Remington Copper Solids. I'm a brush hunter so distance isn't what I'm interested in, usually a 50 yard shot is a long ways in the places I like to hunt. With open sights at 50 yards, I can put 3 slugs in the top of soup. That shooting off the picnic table in my inlaws hay field. You'll spend more money for five rounds, but that may make you take only good shots, as emptying you gun will be a $15 investment.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot an 1100 with a fully rifled barrel,and I have found that federal supremes with the barnes expander is a very accurate and deadly combo.I have played with it and found that an 18" holdover at 200 will put them in every time.At 100 I hold 1" high and put em' in.After several seasons of hunting with them I can say that it is the way to go,of course they may not work for you.Experiment with different loads and see what ya get,shoot the most accurate load you can and hold for the "spot".If you can get a group of 2" you have the right load.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...