The importance of announcing a flotilla event.

rolmops

A few days ago there was a post about a flotilla event on one of the Finger Lakes. The post was closed because of well eh.. the usual.

The flotilla was part of a nation wide effort to promote a certain politician. In Texas five boats sank while participating  in the flotilla.

What happened was that everybody participating looked at it as a joyful event and some rules of the water were ignored. Quite a few boats were overloaded with participants.

Then at the start of the event, people fired up their engines and where there was a quiet lake, it turned into a lake with large waves coming from everywhere because of all the different wakes and conflicting direction of these wakes.Overloaded boats took on water. Five sank and a bunch of others were towed to shore(beached)before they could sink.

If you plan a flotilla please do announce it and make sure people do not overload their boats with kids and grandmothers and who knows what else.Also please explain that wake can kill.

End of rant.

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1

I remember when I was a kid about 16, I had a chrysler 13ft sailboat. Me and 5 of my friends thought it would be fun to go out sailing on this thing, I ended up getting 5 lifejacket tickets and because the capacity plaque was missing he let the fact that we were overloaded slide. In hindsight it was incredibly dumb, and a valuable lesson was learned.

Sent from my LGL322DL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A few days ago there was a post about a flotilla event on one of the Finger Lakes. The post was closed because of well eh.. the usual.

The flotilla was part of a nation wide effort to promote a certain politician. In Texas five boats sank while participating  in the flotilla.

What happened was that everybody participating looked at it as a joyful event and some rules of the water were ignored. Quite a few boats were overloaded with participants.

Then at the start of the event, people fired up their engines and where there was a quiet lake, it turned into a lake with large waves coming from everywhere because of all the different wakes and conflicting direction of these wakes.Overloaded boats took on water. Five sank and a bunch of others were towed to shore(beached)before they could sink.

If you plan a flotilla please do announce it and make sure people do not overload their boats with kids and grandmothers and who knows what else.Also please explain that wake can kill.

End of rant.

Fair. Perhaps the warnings should be shared by other peaceful protesters/ supporters of certain other known politicians/causes who "mean well" but create consequences not expected.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Fat Trout said:

Fair. Perhaps the warnings should be shared by other peaceful protesters/ supporters of certain other known politicians/causes who "mean well" but create consequences not expected.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I guess looting and burning are not worth mentioning by some.

Edited by spoonfed-1
  • Like 3

I went to one on Canandaigua Lake. It was the most patriotic event that I’ve been to in a long time. Nobody stole anything, started any fights, fires or riots. In addition, I saw no disrespect for our country’s flag. Yes, the wake was bad.