Owasco Owasco weekend

Holiday weekend was, busy, windy, fun. Got some friends out chasing fish. Found my pod of fish moved north but was able to put a program together to bend some rods. Copper and riggers were the ticket as the cores only washed lures this weekend. Temp got down to 65ft in my area that if been fishing and changed a bit when I moved around, no doubt the hurricane remnants mixed the water a bit. With it came some fleas......not bad, but you had to check lines every 20 minutes to clean. Speeds the same around 2.6-3.0 at the surface, quick turns triggered strikes. A lot of quick tips, then gone this weekend. Nothing huge, a ton of good eaters and happy faces. Congratulations to camo joe and his first eye. I saw ya Monday,  was up by your camp had a double with bows trying to battle in that wind when ya came over west. Had to take off after that, good way to end the weekend. Things starting to develop up north. Good luck and tight lines.

20200905_093139.jpg

20200904_152149.jpg

20200904_152118.jpg

20200903_072629.jpg

20200903_090623.jpg

20200903_203921.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work bud!  That's an absolutely beautiful young walleye there!  Seems like they either age gracefully in your lake or reproduce?  lol  Im still hoping to do an eastern fingers walleye tour next week, but it's awfully tough to leave eyes to find em!  I'm certainly not keeping eyes on Owasco or Skaneatles, but I'm getting quite a bit of interest in fishing for em on both lakes.  I can't get over how many people are willing to release legal walleye, but they are now that they realize these walleye are completely self sustaining.  I'd have to say populations of all 3 lakes are definitely growing... especially Skaneatles!

Very nice fish guys. That sure is a dark colored walleye Nautitroller, a beauty. My week of fishing ended Sunday evening. Caught a couple lakers and one small rainbow. Could have caught more but had to get in to cook dinner.
I think I saw you on the water Sunday afternoon Lyk2fish. Maroon colored pontoon, I waved and you waved back if it was you.

Lots of fun on our family week at the lake.20200906_155333.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah, it was me.........I had to stop at camp Today and repair my roof cap from the wind yesterday, I looked at that water and thought I should be on it.......looked prime, especially in that zone nautitroller was in......fish and bait got pushed up there with all hat south wind.......discovered it Sunday........wind machine turned back on Monday and well.....back to work today......water looked prime........but yes those bows slow down when the chop dies........cores on boards start to fire then. Nice work all.

• Like 2

Wait silvers making a comeback AND lots of young walleye around!  Hmm haven't we been told over and over the walleye don't reproduce AND the comeback of the silver is because there are no walleye?   Anyone still really believe the "walleye reproduction studies"  I'm not at all against the beautiful silver and hope they continue to manage the lake as a trout lake.   The walleye will be there no matter how it's managed.... just be nice if everyone had the facts.  Nice to see everyone having such a good time with both trout and walleye!  Nice fish John!   

• Like 2

Thanks Johnny, it is great to have a finger lake with this variety. A mesotrophic playground in my opinion, and could be managed as such..........all the suspended small mouths under the bait have avoided my spoons for weeks though. Trying to accomplish the pelagic grand slam........if you do it, post it............that’s a bow, a brown, an eye, and a smallmouth......throw the laker in for good measure since they will come up into the column toward that suspended high bait. What a great challenge!

Wait silvers making a comeback AND lots of young walleye around!  Hmm haven't we been told over and over the walleye don't reproduce AND the comeback of the silver is because there are no walleye?   Anyone still really believe the "walleye reproduction studies"  I'm not at all against the beautiful silver and hope they continue to manage the lake as a trout lake.   The walleye will be there no matter how it's managed.... just be nice if everyone had the facts.  Nice to see everyone having such a good time with both trout and walleye!  Nice fish John!   
The bait is as thick as I've ever seen it on Owasco, crazy but those eyes we caught were in 165 fow. There is lots of room for more predators on that lake and Seneca.. Glad not to see any lamprey, where as Seneca is filthy with them. Balance is key, each will cycle though..
I'm gonna make a point to hit Otisco this year for eyes..
Justin I have a new dog for tracking down deer. He's looking good for the upcoming season...[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Dog?? Tracking?? What breed? I train DDs myself. Don't do much bloodwork but have and trained for it.

The bait is as thick as I've ever seen it on Owasco, crazy but those eyes we caught were in 165 fow. There is lots of room for more predators on that lake and Seneca.. Glad not to see any lamprey, where as Seneca is filthy with them. Balance is key, each will cycle though..
I'm gonna make a point to hit Otisco this year for eyes..
Justin I have a new dog for tracking down deer. He's looking good for the upcoming season...[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Breed is a blue lacy from Texas, this is my second blood tracking dog, he's a pup but he shows incredible potential.
He is a special breed that tracks, bays, and herds. English collie, grey hound, coyote mix. They usually run em with gps and they will bay up a wounded deer, hog, yote, whatever. I'll be running him with a leash.. He's fast and has a great nose.
His name is Zed, "if ya think it's dead call Zed"
20200826_143809.jpeg20200710_123603.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nautitroller said:

Breed is a blue lacy from Texas, this is my second blood tracking dog, he's a pup but he shows incredible potential.
He is a special breed that tracks, bays, and herds. English collie, grey hound, coyote mix. They usually run em with gps and they will bay up a wounded deer, hog, yote, whatever. I'll be running him with a leash.. He's fast and has a great nose.
His name is Zed, "if ya think it's dead call Zed"

I bet he'll come in handy for the fish that gets off at the back of the boat. :rofl:

Just kidding. Beautiful dog.

• Like 1

What percentage coyote is he? Interesting mix. Probably helps tracking deer.
I don't know the % of coyote if any or if it was (grey wolf) theory... The breed isn't recognized by any organization but here is a copied piece from Wikipedia. It would be interesting to do a DNA analysis but I can tell you this dog is way more intense than any I have had before. He cones very fast and in large semi circles. Which I'll take away from him with a leash. It'll be interesting reading him.. can't wait to do a real blood trail.. Screenshot_20200912-091545_Google.jpeg

Very nice. Good luck. Are you a DEC registered tracker? If so what territory do you cover? Just in case I lose a deer [emoji1662].
I'm in tioga County NY,Yes I have the license. Territory depends on my availability.. I try to stay within 45min drive, it gets crazy with calls during rut.