Sadness

ksc4488

I’ve looked everywhere on here to figure out how to shut down comments or even delete my post, can anyone tell me how to do that?

I simply wanted to express regret at not being able to come to NY to spend my money, catch a few fish and escape the issues caused by this plague. It was not meant to be fodder for political discussion nor to provide a forum for those who don’t agree with others about the issues of today.

• Like 2

Sorry your trip got canceled. A lot of businesses will be forever affected by Covid. I am going to have to call you out, however.  Ohio being placed on a travel restricted state is Ohio’s fault.  Ohio was late to the game on mask mandates and now everybody is paying the price for you and southern states not believing scientists. It’s a Pandemic!  A once in our lifetime event. My brother took his daughter to University of Dayton to start her freshman year. He almost put her back in the car and drove her home as he found there were no RD’s or RA’s in the dorms to oversee the incoming students. Kids were running around with no masks. Univ of Dayton blew up with Covid in the first two weeks with now over 900 cases and of course my niece now has Covid. Wake up brother and start mixing in some real news stations into your tv viewing experience. We are all in this together so when 1/3 of the country is rowing in an opposite direction, we are prone to spin in circles. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Sorry your trip got canceled. A lot of businesses will be forever affected by Covid. I am going to have to call you out, however.  Ohio being placed on a travel restricted state is Ohio’s fault.  Ohio was late to the game on mask mandates and now everybody is paying the price for you and southern states not believing scientists. It’s a Pandemic!  A once in our lifetime event. My brother took his daughter to University of Dayton to start her freshman year. He almost put her back in the car and drove her home as he found there were no RD’s or RA’s in the dorms to oversee the incoming students. Kids were running around with no masks. Univ of Dayton blew up with Covid in the first two weeks with now over 900 cases and of course my niece now has Covid. Wake up brother and start mixing in some real news stations into your tv viewing experience. We are all in this together so when 1/3 of the country is rowing in an opposite direction, we are prone to spin in circles. 

Hey Gill-t, thanks for the reply. I understand your feelings on the matter but must also disagree a bit with you.

We’ve been under mask orders for months here, one can’t go into a store without one.

Our governor implemented a color chart for the counties of the state, red the worst, orange for less affected, yellow for even less then clear. Each color indicated different levels of protection required.

Frankly, I thought your governor could have done same thing based on a conversation with a friend in Niagara County. Major metro areas red or orange, which basically is the way it is here and the less metro areas likely would have lower ratings as my friend indicated they hadn’t had a lot of cases there.

Anyway, after Charlie, in one of posts in the south shore reports, suggested I come to Wilson in the spring, I think I’ll follow his recommendation.

Tight Lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gill-T said:

x2

If you have a question on fishing, ask a fisherman; if you have a medical question, ask a doctor; if you have a question on science, ask a scientist. None of us would like to be told by someone who doesn't know anything about our specialty, how to do our job. Why should we think a politician knows about a medical or science issue more than a doctor or scientist? Many people bash New York State but we are in much better shape than many states because we have listened to the experts. Are experts always right? No. But neither are we. And Gill-T is right, we are all in this together. Our actions impact others.

• Like 2

x2

If you have a question on fishing, ask a fisherman; if you have a medical question, ask a doctor; if you have a question on science, ask a scientist. None of us would like to be told by someone who doesn't know anything about our specialty, how to do our job. Why should we think a politician knows about a medical or science issue more than a doctor or scientist? Many people bash New York State but we are in much better shape than many states because we have listened to the experts. Are experts always right? No. But neither are we. And Gill-T is right, we are all in this together. Our actions impact others.

You are so correct!

Oh well, if we’re lucky and the vaccine for this plague is found to be effective, I’ll see you all next May.

Tight lines and hopefully, the happiest of holidays to you all!

Sorry you can't make the trip, not sure what science is behind the travel ban list, hopefully you can get up here in the spring and end enjoy the fishery. Hopefully by then you'll be able to go into one of the fine establishments we have up here without the scientific rule of food with your drink. West end in the spring can be epic fishing. Can give you the names of couple of places you can stay. 

• Like 1

Sorry you can't make the trip, not sure what science is behind the travel ban list, hopefully you can get up here in the spring and end enjoy the fishery. Hopefully by then you'll be able to go into one of the fine establishments we have up here without the scientific rule of food with your drink. West end in the spring can be epic fishing. Can give you the names of couple of places you can stay. 

Thanks, Charlie!

I’ll try to stay at Lakeview in Tonawanda as I’ve stayed there before and know the proprietors...nice people!

Anyway, when you suggested May, is there a temp, water or air, that you’d suggest I look for before heading up. If not, perhaps you could drop me a line, or better yet, I’ll pm you with my number, and maybe a couple/ three weeks ahead you can tell me to get my butt up there!

Many thanks!

As long as it is in May, you should be good. Bring riggers, dipsys/slide divers, short copper or leadcores. Mostly a spoon bite but you can catch some on sticks, flasher/flies, and meat. 

• Like 1

As long as it is in May, you should be good. Bring riggers, dipsys/slide divers, short copper or leadcores. Mostly a spoon bite but you can catch some on sticks, flasher/flies, and meat. 

Thanks...I’m good for everything but copper, I’ve never used it.

I’m currently reading Dan Keating’s book on Great Lakes Salmon & Trout strategies and I’m guessing he’ll be addressing copper in there somewhere. Given that, and knowing me, I’ll be ready for it by May.

Anyway, thanks for the info! Have a great winter!

There soon will be a cure . 

It's called the election . 

HB2. With complete respect to you and your opinion, the facts are the facts. Anyone such as myself in the medical field who have lost patients and loved ones would tell you that you are sorely mistaken once again. I wish you and your family health and a good off season.

And to the other comments I agree with above. This pandemic is real and no state has done a great job managing it Pa, NY, OH have all taken huge missteps but hindsight is always 20 20. Hopefully a viable vaccine will be available soon

Good luck to all in the woods and hope everyone has a safe and healthy off season.

• Like 2

There are a lot of people going broke and will take a decade or more to financially recover from this.look at all the business going under .  

What gets me most is there are people who are working and getting paid telling people they can't work . If these same people were  faced with losing everything and bankruptcy, they might feel differently . 

So IMO , it time to open stuff up and go for it  . 

If you are young and in reasonably good health , you don't have much to worry about . And yes some people will die. 

And anyone who doesn't see this is a political football is blind , respectfully . 

Edited by HB2
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, HB2 said:

And anyone who doesn't see this is a political football is blind , respectfully . 

The fact that some folks treat this pandemic as a "political football" is a great part of the problem. The decisions regarding any pandemic should be based on facts and science; not political ambitions. It is both unconscionable and immoral to disregard concerns for human life. By the way I'm not in favor of either political candidate so lets avoid that discussion.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 6

The fact that some folks treat this pandemic as a "political football" is a great part of the problem. The decisions regarding any pandemic should be based on facts and science; not political ambitions. It is both unconscionable and immoral to disregard concerns for human life. By the way I'm not in favor of either political candidate so lets avoid that discussion.

Well said!!!!
And I certainly understand the financial strain that it has caused. Very difficult decisions for sure but facts are that opening quickly will cost lives, particularly in nursing homes. That is a fact
This certainly is a terrible situation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HB2 said:

There are a lot of people going broke and will take a decade or more to financially recover from this.look at all the business going under .  

What gets me most is there are people who are working and getting paid telling people they can't work . If these same people were  faced with losing everything and bankruptcy, they might feel differently . 

So IMO , it time to open stuff up and go for it  . 

If you are young and in reasonably good health , you don't have much to worry about . And yes some people will die. 

It's true small businesses are hurting badly but this is where our government needs to step in and put politics aside, which in the end I think they will. Winston Churchill said it best, "America has to exhaust all other options before doing the right thing."

It isn't just about opening up. It's about doing it correctly by social distancing and wearing a mask. My wife is from South Korea and her home town got hit hard. But the government's response was swift and they didn't shut down. Why? Because the people in South Korea have more trust in their government AND they have a sense of duty to all in society. Here in America we are much more independent minded and resist any freedoms being taken away even if they are for our own good. Remember the resistance to the seat belt law?

If we just "go for it" we may prolong this pandemic and have to shut down again.

If we can avoid more people dying, shouldn't we do it,since all those young people have parents and grandparents?

• Like 2

It's true small businesses are hurting badly but this is where our government needs to step in and put politics aside, which in the end I think they will. Winston Churchill said it best, "America has to exhaust all other options before doing the right thing."

It isn't just about opening up. It's about doing it correctly by social distancing and wearing a mask. My wife is from South Korea and her home town got hit hard. But the government's response was swift and they didn't shut down. Why? Because the people in South Korea have more trust in their government AND they have a sense of duty to all in society. Here in America we are much more independent minded and resist any freedoms being taken away even if they are for our own good. Remember the resistance to the seat belt law?
If we just "go for it" we may prolong this pandemic and have to shut down again.
If we can avoid more people dying, shouldn't we do it,since all those young people have parents and grandparents?

Here here.
Just opening back up and “going for it” in actuality is the worst thing we could do.

• Like 1