25.5 inch walleye

BassMrs.ster

Thank you. Lucky year. I still haven’t wrangled any bass. But I did land a huge catfish. The walleye is the most difficult in this lake because things change so much. According to my friend Justin it is the hardest lake to catch walleye in. And I definitely got a lot of wisdom from the things he has taught me. Special shout out to@justtracytrolling I hope I spelled that right. Thank you Justin. And if anyone needs an awesome guide he’s your guy!!! [emoji476]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words, but you guys are the ones putting the time in...I'm here to help but anyone wanting help needs to make arrangements to see me in person or book a trip if you want to actually understand what's going on...  

Yes what Justin said!!! Absolutely he is amazing!

Opinions vary...my wife hasn't hardly seen me in a month and wouldn't agree with you I'm pretty sure!  Nothing amazing here... I just want it more than anyone else and I don't get outworked....do anything 80-100 hours a week and its hard not to learn something... even a blind squirrel will find a nut occasionally!

• Like 2

Most importantly I had a ton of direct and indirect help from other great anglers and great walleye anglers.  I'm gonna forget someone, but here goes.  Miss em taught me the basis of everything I know about fishing spoons and the thermocline.  Pete Rajner taught me about feeding baits versus reaction baits and using clip weights more and that is how I came up with how I defeat the weeds and a few other things.  Bulletny taught me about fish way out of temp and keeping the fish honest.  Lyke2fish has given me many ideas and been someone I bounce ideas off as well as being the best all around troller and stick I've ever met, Landshark and walleye magic taught me a lot about staying up high when I know the fish aren't for certain applications as well as someone to talk to, I've read all of Kevin leggs posts he ever wrote and have read between the lines and asked the right questions, my buddy Randy is a magician with a stick bait in the dark,  Vince Pierleoni has given me a few pieces of advice that really hit home about the business that gave me the push I needed, and the list goes on.  Without seeing what was possible and having fresh ideas I would have been too old or dead before I got where I am.  BTW I met all but one of those people thru this forum.  Perhaps just living next to the boat launch and seeing what gets caught when and with what equipment has told me alot about what goes on here.  I'm always available to help others and along with giving answers a lot of questions tell me more than anyone knows.  It's all about putting every single piece of info you can get into your walleye knowledge and walleye tool bag.  Always assuming it can be done better and that you are missing something important.  As soon as you think you have it all figured out you are all done learning.  I figured something out recently that has bothered me since the full lake study in 2013 when I fished the same hours as the shocking and got totally different results than the shocking.  The answer was a hatch and the wind direction at the time.  When I figured it out I wasn't even trying to solve that problem I was just curious about something Ive seen many times but never tried to figure out because I didn't know I needed to... which is how most things are figured out... by chance.  if a flood didn't shut down the entire fishery for the month of July I think I'd still believe there is no reproduction.... that happened to be the only year since I've been here we didn't receive stocking so it was the only year I could prove it without access to Tunison labs to have walleye tested.  I asked for that and offered to pay for the tests and was denied by the DEC in a prior year.   All I'm saying is I didn't figure out much all by myself and I've been way wrong far more than right along the way.  I'd like to think I've helped those guys as well just as much, and if I didn't I definitely have helped tons of other anglers.

• Like 3

Most importantly I had a ton of direct and indirect help from other great anglers and great walleye anglers.  I'm gonna forget someone, but here goes.  Miss em taught me the basis of everything I know about fishing spoons and the thermocline.  Pete Rajner taught me about feeding baits versus reaction baits and using clip weights more and that is how I came up with how I defeat the weeds and a few other things.  Bulletny taught me about fish way out of temp and keeping the fish honest.  Lyke2fish has given me many ideas and been someone I bounce ideas off as well as being the best all around troller and stick I've ever met, Landshark and walleye magic taught me a lot about staying up high when I know the fish aren't for certain applications as well as someone to talk to, I've read all of Kevin leggs posts he ever wrote and have read between the lines and asked the right questions, my buddy Randy is a magician with a stick bait in the dark,  Vince Pierleoni has given me a few pieces of advice that really hit home about the business that gave me the push I needed, and the list goes on.  Without seeing what was possible and having fresh ideas I would have been too old or dead before I got where I am.  BTW I met all but one of those people thru this forum.  Perhaps just living next to the boat launch and seeing what gets caught when and with what equipment has told me alot about what goes on here.  I'm always available to help others and along with giving answers a lot of questions tell me more than anyone knows.  It's all about putting every single piece of info you can get into your walleye knowledge and walleye tool bag.  Always assuming it can be done better and that you are missing something important.  As soon as you think you have it all figured out you are all done learning.  I figured something out recently that has bothered me since the full lake study in 2013 when I fished the same hours as the shocking and got totally different results than the shocking.  The answer was a hatch and the wind direction at the time.  When I figured it out I wasn't even trying to solve that problem I was just curious about something Ive seen many times but never tried to figure out because I didn't know I needed to... which is how most things are figured out... by chance.  if a flood didn't shut down the entire fishery for the month of July I think I'd still believe there is no reproduction.... that happened to be the only year since I've been here we didn't receive stocking so it was the only year I could prove it without access to Tunison labs to have walleye tested.  I asked for that and offered to pay for the tests and was denied by the DEC in a prior year.   All I'm saying is I didn't figure out much all by myself and I've been way wrong far more than right along the way.  I'd like to think I've helped those guys as well just as much, and if I didn't I definitely have helped tons of other anglers.

Always interested in Justin’s take on things. If you put in the time and constantly experiment you’re likely to come up with some successful techniques. Justin is always very willing to share ideas and exchange information. Glad we met on this site and hope to share a trip someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 2

Thanks bro for the kind words. Everyone on that list you referenced has one thing in common, we’re all hard core fisherman that put in hours and hours to figure out how to be better. Through trial and tribulations we figure it out not because we’re experts but because we are relentless at wanting to be successful at this game we play............by he way is that the fish I’m gonna be working on.....it’s a beauty with an awesome story!

• Like 1

Thanks bro for the kind words. Everyone on that list you referenced has one thing in common, we’re all hard core fisherman that put in hours and hours to figure out how to be better. Through trial and tribulations we figure it out not because we’re experts but because we are relentless at wanting to be successful at this game we play............by he way is that the fish I’m gonna be working on.....it’s a beauty with an awesome story!

Absolutely a plan. I had a 38 Tiger my first ever too

On 9/10/2020 at 7:18 AM, lyk2fish said:

Kevin,

No the fish you are gonna mount came off my boat.  10lber hit all three of my riggers then wrapped up on a sunken mooring.  Broke off 2 of the rods and landed on the third.  Lost 2 whole leadcore setups on the same mooring today

• Like 1

Kevin,
No the fish you are gonna mount came off my boat.  10lber hit all three of my riggers then wrapped up on a sunken mooring.  Broke off 2 of the rods and landed on the third.  Lost 2 whole leadcore setups on the same mooring today

Wow. Definitely quite a story. That’s a big walleye!

Congrats on a great fish BassMrs.Ster.

This has been a very enjoyable thread to read. I have enjoyed all the comments from great fishermen thanking other great fishermen for all they have learned.

I have learned so much from being on this forum and I am still slowly coming up the curve.

Without reading Kevin's helpful posts over the last 6 or 7 years I would have never experienced catching a few of those strong SLR eyes.

Lyk2fish has helped more than he knows in my quest to finally get an Owasco eye (then a second one) a couple weeks ago.

Justin clued me into the enjoyment of jigging eyes in general and I got one on I-bay and SLR that way.

Tomorrow I am off to Lake Erie for some crawler harness bottom bouncing.

Ah yes,such a great fish and sport! 

• Like 1

Congrats on a great fish BassMrs.Ster.

This has been a very enjoyable thread to read. I have enjoyed all the comments from great fishermen thanking other great fishermen for all they have learned.
I have learned so much from being on this forum and I am still slowly coming up the curve.
Without reading Kevin's helpful posts over the last 6 or 7 years I would have never experienced catching a few of those strong SLR eyes.
Lyk2fish has helped more than he knows in my quest to finally get an Owasco eye (then a second one) a couple weeks ago.
Justin clued me into the enjoyment of jigging eyes in general and I got one on I-bay and SLR that way.
Tomorrow I am off to Lake Erie for some crawler harness bottom bouncing.
Ah yes,such a great fish and sport! 

It is so awesome to see great posts!!! Hank you got another!