Tieing 7 strand mason wire.

In my normal spread I run 4 dipseys. Over time the wire gets cut back from tangles or whatever, I fish the fingerlakes now and I wont be tieing into 30lb salmon. I just want to add enough wire to fill the reels back up. probably 2 to 300 ft or so. I have a great knot for terminating with a spro swivel to a piece of brad leader useing a half hitch and square knot.. What I want to do is splice the wire together with a spro swivel. You cant use a half hitch of wire on each end of a swivel.  I seen a video with a guy tieing a figure 8 knot in the wire. Anyone try this?   It seems to easy...

Ive got sleeves and crimpers I just do not like useing them.

I know your not supposed to splice wire but you get cheap in your old age.

rods(002).jpg

Cmon Stan.....blow some of the dust off that wallet and let some of the bats escape, and spring for new wire:lol: You already have about half a million wrapped up in those rods and reels not to mention lures:smile:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Another approach would be to fill the reel with 30 lb mono on top of the wire. Once filled, transfer the mono to a second reel, then transfer the wire to a third reel.  Once the wire is off The original, transfer the mono to the original reel as backer, then reload the wire onto the original reel.  Doesn’t give you more wire, but your line counter will be more accurate without Splicing the wire.  I’ve done this on mine and it worked well.

• Like 2

Go to a school athletics field and walk off all the wire on the reel. Add braid starter in the amount to fill the spool as needed. Tie back in wire to braid filler via modified Albright knot. Put wire back on. Check for wire dings as you reel (you will find them).