DEC Announces Actions to Protect Salmon River Fish Populations

mudflat

We have a land owner on Sandy in Hamlin that thinks he owns both sides of the creek and boots people off his stretch all the time.  I have seen the deeds to the surrounding properties and have looked it up on the County GIS and he is full of Sh*t. At least the Douglaston actually owns or leases both sides.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HB2 said:

Fresh kings from the lake to river are far from Zombies . 

I don't think anyone would disagree with that word "fresh" but even in the lake I stop fishing for them when they blacken up because they seem to lose a lot of their "zip" compared with the silver fish. even the teens seem more fun.:smile: I do understand some of the landowners concerns which I saw for years on other places as well such as Maxwell and streams on the Finger Lakes. It is also a large part of the reason that farmlands are posted so heavily now verses 20 years ago. Some folks don't seem to have respect for others property and the trash situation is inexcusable.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, HB2 said:

Fresh kings from the lake to river are far from Zombies . 

Once the turn color, they are no longer "fresh".  Once they start staging, most are done eating and living off of fat reserves.   They do not fight nearly as hard.  

Edited by GAMBLER

Most people out here dont realize the salmon river has more fish then the western rivers. I was dumbfounded at the amount of people lining the banks here my first time. Out west your happy to see another guy and help each other catch fish but for every 1 fish on a western river you have hundreds here. Also the amazing sizes of the steelhead and coho here are unreal. Out west a big coho is 8lbs and my biggest steelhead there was 16 here its 22.

As for the kings out west the reason they get bigger is sometimes they will run up the river and for what ever reason turn around and go back out to the Pacific for another year or 3. Here they really dont get that chance. That's why the monster kings of the west coast can be aged 4 to 6 years old.

I dont fish for the salmon in the river either I constantly break them off the moment I hook them. I'm a steelhead / trout / smallmouth guy. When your from out west it's just hard to comprehend somone can own fishing rites moreless the river itself especially on a publicly stocked body of water.

When your from out west it's just hard to comprehend somone can own fishing rites moreless the river itself especially on a publicly stocked body of water.

Heck it’s just hard to comprehend no matter where your from. I’m not even a big fan of the fall salmon, but winter/spring steelhead is a favorite there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Once the turn color, they are no longer "fresh".  Once they start staging, most are done eating and living off of fat reserves.   They do not fight nearly as hard.  

I agree, they only fight like 1/2 a freight train, but 1/2 a freight train is still a lot of fun. And there's just something about seeing that float drop and knowing what's chewing on the other end. To me, the float drop is the drug.

• Like 2

Staggers and creek fish can be very challenging to get to bite . 

And on a fly rod or reasonable tackle , they put up a good fight . 

It may be  the only chance some guys get a shot at them . 

Still better than lake trout . 

Edited by HB2

30 minutes ago, HB2 said:

Staggers and creek fish can be very challenging to get to bite . 

And on a fly rod or reasonable tackle , they put up a good fight . 

It may be  the only chance some guys get a shot at them . 

Still better than lake trout . 

:lol:  The old lake trout comment comes to the top.  Funny that lakers have made me tons of money over the last ten years yet people continue to bash them.....

Good ole lakers... still the bread and butter fish of the charter industry and still a lot of fun. Comparing them to kings is kinda like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford though and not really a fair comparison very different species with different characteristics.

:lol:  The old lake trout comment comes to the top.  Funny that lakers have made me tons of money over the last ten years yet people continue to bash them.....

Lakers are like fat chicks, not for everyone but some people like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Lol 

With the recent mortality study on them , I have a hard time targeting them . But if that's what floats your boat , have fun . 

But to me any king that takes is better than a Laker . 

2 hours ago, whaler1 said:

......so you are saying Gambler likes fat chicks?  

1 hour ago, Frogger said:

Was waiting for that......

Ya that was a softball thrown up. Too easy. I am sure there is a joke to be made using a peanut reference or putting something down below and it came back slimy with green spots. That is half the fun with lake trout.....the discussions we have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 12:20 PM, Gill-T said:

It would be helpful to the viewing audience if began your counter point with.....”Full disclosure, I am a guide (or was a guide) on the DSR. Here is my prospective......”

The only guiding I ever did on the SR or anywhere else has been gratis, before the requirement for a license, and before DSR.  And last year was the only year I purchased a season pass, and that didn't work out as economical due to an injury to my hand that precluded salmon fishing, and the loss of the droppie season to Cuomo closure syndrome. 

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 12:11 PM, Frogger said:

I’m not familiar with another place in NY where on NYS waters you are unable to fish due to a private citizen owning the land under it. I realize you can’t anchor but at the DSR stretch you can’t even wet a line with a bobber while floating.

Try the Bungalo's Club waters on Spring Creek in Caledonia, or the Garbutt Club in Wheatland, maybe some of the club water on the Beaverkill.  I think you'd get some grief from the Adirondack League Club fishing their section of the Moose.