cannon or Bert's rod holders?

Cannon one handed down is the biggest difference I have the single access ones I run one cannon and one Bert's on each side and am happy with both though I do recommend taking the cap off adding glue of your preference and replacing if they were the same price cannons if not than budget dictates. Special note both ratchet up just by pulling no need to work the mechanism very useful with a king ripping I only say this because I did not know that untill I saw it happen in a you tube video

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Foo;

Traxstech makes a very nice system with plenty of options. Have their tracks (4 sections) & riggers, & ratcheting rod holders, tool caddies, net holders, & triple trees, which have all worked great since I got them four years ago.

Good luck with your project

John

Any machined rod holder on the market will do the job. The one-handed operation of the Cannon Dual Axis is a nice feature. I have some on my boat that are 10 years old that have seen a lot of use. They still work great.

Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 1

Anybody have experience with the single axis AND multiaxis Cannons and their suitability for divers setups i.e. is one better or sturdier than the other model?

Edited by Sk8man

21 hours ago, sherman brown said:

i've used both the single and dual axis and i like the single axis best. they both are great for running divers. no more leaning out over the side of the boat to get your rod out of the holder. just grab the rod and lift and the holder ratchets up then just lift the rod out.

My traxstech diver rod holders operate in the same manner, just pull it up vertical & remove the rod.

John

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

My traxstech diver rod holders operate in the same manner, just pull it up vertical & remove the rod.

John

all the ratchet holders ratchet up the same. what makes the cannon better is the one handed lowering of the holder. on the traxstech you have to pull the pin with one hand while lowering the holder with the other. on the cannon you just squeeze and lower with one hand.

however i do like the 17 adjustments up and down on the traxstech holders.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the Cannon dual axis rod holder this spring and the pivot pin on one side broke. Anyone else have this problem? I emailed Cannon asking them to replace the rod holder or supply replacement parts. No response yet.

20201014_150146.jpg

20201014_150335.jpg

I just set up 6 of the dual axis Cannons mounted in 18 inch tracks on gimbals  and they seem pretty sturdy and have flexible positioning and they seem well made. I also bought one single axis version to test out. I very much prefer the dual axis ability to position in different directions; especially for running multiple wire setups along with inlines. Obviously they haven't been subjected to the time duration variable and heavy usage but I very much like them thus far.

the biggest difference is in the base. the duel axis is square and adjusts left/right from pin hole to pin hole which at times can be to far or not enough. the single axis has an oval base and can be adjusted left/right as little or as much as you want up to 70 degrees. just get the holder where you want it and tighten it down. if you need to go 1/16" just loosen a little adjust and tighten back down. i've had both and like the single axis the best. i have the single axis. if you want to know where i got them on the cheap just message me and i'll try to save you a little money.. i would just post it but i dont remember off hand and i'm not on the server that has my favorites listed.

Here are problems with 3 of my 6 Cannon dual axis rod holders used for divers and magnum divers.

IMG_0673.thumb.JPG.b16bc460c47cb47cb40fd2da2a55b30b.JPG

In the first photo you can see how the pressed in place pin has shifted to one side. If this is not noticed and corrected by pressing it back into place it will eventually shift completely out of position and fail.

IMG_0674.thumb.JPG.dd6ff7b254c5a387b8ac54d0629049f9.JPG

In the second photo the forces on the pin have caused the aluminum to stretch and elongate the pin’s hole and the aluminum has split. This rod holder will soon fail if continued to be used.

IMG_0676.thumb.JPG.b46a174c2236b78279b091bf23579acb.JPG

In the third photo you can see that the base to tube assembly on the lower rod holder has been stretched. It’s supposed to look like the upper rod holder in the picture. I’m unable to dismantle the assembly to repair the problem. The hex drive bolts under the base appear to have been assembled with thread locker and/or have seized due to electrolysis and both hex head have stripped out trying to remove them.

In my opinion the Cannon dual axis rod holders are fine for casual use, but inadequate for serious long-term diver use.

I have seen these problems on a number of boats.

You be the judge.

you can get the single axis (no pins to worry about) holders...

Your statement is incorrect. Both the single axis and dual axis use pins as the pivot point for the ratchet.

https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/cache/images/product_full_16x9/mfiles/product/image/1907001.5e17ce642aefd.jpg

The pin is clearly visible on the single axis rod holder in the picture. It’s the black spot about 1/3 up from the base.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

3 minutes ago, John E Powell said:

Your statement is incorrect. Both the single axis and dual axis use pins as the pivot point for the ratchet.

https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/cache/images/product_full_16x9/mfiles/product/image/1907001.5e17ce642aefd.jpg

The pin is clearly visible on the single axis rod holder in the picture. It’s the black spot about 1/3 up from the base.

that pin is for the up down pivot not the left right pivot. all the ratcheting holders has to have a hinge pin for the up down motion. i was referring to the pin in the double axis that's used for adjusting the left right motion. this pin will let you move the holder from one pin hole to the next which might be to far or not far enough and this pin fails where as the up and down pin doesn't seem to be a problem on the single axis holders. just loosen the base and adjust as much or as little as you want then tighten it down on the single axis.

I guess it is good that I also have my previous heavy duty stainless one piece holders for the divers two to a side no pins no adjustments:smile: Thanks for the heads up John:yes:

Edited by Sk8man

i've been using my cannon single axis for about 12 yrs now with no trouble from any of them. i just hate leaning out over the side of the boat and pulling a rod from the holder with a fish on the line. just grad and lift on the cannon single axis and it ratchets to the upright position then i lift the rod up out of the holder.

12 hours ago, John E Powell said:

i can see where anyone would be upset with a holder that the main pin failed on. i didn't read the post as good as i should have. i thought it was the pin that adjusts the left right movement. i would be very concerned if my warranty had expired. if it was just one holder it could be a bad holder. but i would be sure and check for any wear or damage to the rest of my holders as you already have one ready to fail.

have you thought about using a ss screw or bolt and going all the way through with a nut on the end.

keep us posted as to cannon's response to your email.

• Like 1