Skaneateles Skan fishing last 2 weeks.

I have been out three times. Saturday morning on the 5th and fished from 630 am till about 11. Nothing... Not even a hit. Trolled east side just north of 5 mile to just beyond borodino landing. Then cut across to west and fished to just south of flag pole point. Marked them on my sonar again in about 90 fow bottom to 60 feet. I invited my brothers along so that's probably why I didn't catch anything :)

Went out for about an hour and a half on Saturday the 12th with my son and a friend. When we got to the marina I told the boys it was too rough and we should go home but they looked heart broken... Again, nothing .. 

Last night was great however, started trolling around 4:30 till dark (7:15). 5 mile to about a mile north of lourdes. Pulled in 4 trout. 2 we threw back. A decent 19"er and my friend pulled in a really nice 25"er. We used two poles off the back of the boat. One copper with about 320' out 50' mono leader and a blue and silver Williams Wobbler. Second was lead core out about 15 colors with a gold and black Demon Dancer from Bass Pro. Also had the planer boards out. One with copper and 100'. The other with lead core and about 10 colors. Used another demon dancer (smaller about 1.5") and a silver mooselook wobbler. 

Lures.jpg

Happy to hear you got out.  I have not been out yet this year, which is unfortunate.   Skan can be tough or great.  Three years ago I ago we couldn't keep the rods in the water one day and then only two fish the next day.  The weather and wind was nearly identical, so I have no idea why fishing was poor the second day.  Fish should be feeding heavily on perch schools now and the key is to locate the bait.  You may also have been running a bit deep for RT, but since I have not been out I may be wrong.  I would have started up higher, as typically this time of year the active fish start to run higher.  Fishing should only get better as cooler weather is coming and the boating crowd will be less.  Looking to get out next week for a try.

Yah, no doubt, I have had the same experience. I am looking forward to fishing this weekend but if weather and wife permit I will be going to Cayuga for the afternoon. I heard the lamprey are doing a number on the lakers there. I agree about the rainbow but I am not seeing anything from 0-50 ft on my sonar.. I'll try going in shallower next time. 

Edited by bobslivinski

Yah, no doubt, I have had the same experience. I am looking forward to fishing this weekend but if weather and wife permit I will be going to Cayuga for the afternoon. I heard the lamprey are doing a number on the lakers there. I agree about the rainbow but I am not seeing anything from 0-50 ft on my sonar.. I'll try going in shallower next time. 

September is usually tough on skn.
Thermocline is a bit deeper than usual this year maybe from that hot July?!.... I caught a 24 in salmon in 55-58 fow 2 weeks ago. My deepest salmon ever there.

Set up to fish55-90 right now n it should produce. Don’t leave fish to find fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United