Take on the season

chinook35

I wasn’t able to fish as often as I wanted , and as often as I usually do. But the times I made it out to my favorite haunts I found the fishing much slower than in past years. I usually was able to scrounge one or two. Had one skunk. How about the rest of you ? Was it me or was the fishing off this year ? I normally fish the East end of the lake from Mexico Pt to Henderson It appears the best fishing was west of Oz

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Fishing was great in April and May and then got tough for the first part of June.  Late June until August was awesome!  August came and the fishing off of my port went to poop!  I fished a lot less that normal due to being busy building tackle (Covid delayed most of my shipments).  King sizes seemed up, steelhead sizes seemed way up.  I found a lot of smelt this year in browns and kings that we caught inshore.  Tons of bait inside all season.  Not as much until August offshore.  

Great fishing for me. I had two late season skunks trying to get some stagers to bite, but it was not from a lack of targets (they just had lock jaw). King fishing for us started in mid March!  Love easy winters. Lots of bait inshore that showed late. 

I didn't fish Ontario this year . Covid kept me to stay local and fish the finger lakes . Most of my trips were solo and no derbies . Caught a lot of nice fish . The silvers and lakers were on the big size and very healthy. Been cleaning out the boat and haven't ruled out one more time . 20200731_070243.jpeg0426171226.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A102U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I fish out of Sodus about once a week, four to five hours a trip. My good/bad time line is very similar to Gamblers only I started in mid May and really target Kings. June for the last couple of years was awesome, this year ugly. First three weeks of July was as good as it gets, August was very spotty, got fish but catch rate was way down from July. Two early September trips were better. A good year but not like the previous 2 or 3. In my opinion Sodus area will start to drop off over the next couple of years because of the pen rearing change this year, I like the port and the town but I think the king fishing is on the way down.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 6:55 AM, Pappy said:

I fish out of Sodus about once a week, four to five hours a trip. My good/bad time line is very similar to Gamblers only I started in mid May and really target Kings. June for the last couple of years was awesome, this year ugly. First three weeks of July was as good as it gets, August was very spotty, got fish but catch rate was way down from July. Two early September trips were better. A good year but not like the previous 2 or 3. In my opinion Sodus area will start to drop off over the next couple of years because of the pen rearing change this year, I like the port and the town but I think the king fishing is on the way down.

I don't think the net pen loss will change things much at all - only at the end of the season when the fish start to set up on their natal waters.  Most of the season those fish are all mixed up and all over the place - my guess a very low percentage of your July and August fish you caught were Sodus pen fish.