River mouth Eyes

Roughrider IV

nice work!  Kudos to Kevin and prof t....it really rare to find help with walleye!   Everyone should be keeping the details you learn from others to yourself as it's not yours to give out openly unless you got it from an open post...private conversation is just that....or figure it out yourself....just my 2 cents.  Nice job on the post Roughrider!!!

• Like 2

Hey Rider,

Congrats on the success and thanks for the mention, but I've got to pass this one up the ladder. Had it not been for Kevin's help a few years ago I'd probably be learning how to cook gobys! It turned out we're neighbors, and we've had some great adventures since we put things together.

Here's what I did NOT do. I didn't ask for a spot, or a particular bait. What I did was put the time in, like you, alone, till I got it down and finally started to connect. Took half a summer and 30 nights out. Only then did I contact Kevin.

I've limited my posts recently because I got followed, and now I can't fish my most productive spots because they're crowded and overfished. Same deal for a couple other friends whos names no longer appear in these posts.

Fortunately, its a big river, with lots of good structure. And now, most of my fishing is in the dark, while most humans are asleep.

It's been good having conversations with you. By the way, I've turned my attention to mr walleye's cousin, the yellow perch!!!!!

Prof T

20200918_125906.jpg

• Like 4

Do you eat the perch that are full of worms?

Hey Rider,

Congrats on the success and thanks for the mention, but I've got to pass this one up the ladder. Had it not been for Kevin's help a few years ago I'd probably be learning how to cook gobys! It turned out we're neighbors, and we've had some great adventures since we put things together.

Here's what I did NOT do. I didn't ask for a spot, or a particular bait. What I did was put the time in, like you, alone, till I got it down and finally started to connect. Took half a summer and 30 nights out. Only then did I contact Kevin.

I've limited my posts recently because I got followed, and now I can't fish my most productive spots because they're crowded and overfished. Same deal for a couple other friends whos names no longer appear in these posts.

Fortunately, its a big river, with lots of good structure. And now, most of my fishing is in the dark, while most humans are asleep.

It's been good having conversations with you. By the way, I've turned my attention to mr walleye's cousin, the yellow perch!!!!!

Prof T

20200918_125906.thumb.jpg.c2f7868ce040515d75a3548c49385e18.jpg

Sent from my LGL322DL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I cleaned over 80 and didn't have the worm problem in any of them. I always associated that with warmer water. River surface temp is now at 67.

When I do, I discard them.
Last summer in Algonquin lake we caught 70+ perch and pickrel, almost every perch was loaded with black,red and white worms

Sent from my LGL322DL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The biologists say that an essential part of the grub life cycle is shore birds (like herons) that feed on fish and snails.  So it makes sense that the grubs are more prevalent on smaller, shallower (and so warmer) bodies of water.  I remember fishing a small lake in Ontario that was loaded with nice sized rock bass on a canoe trip.  I kept a dozen for a shore lunch; they were absolutely loaded with yellow grubs.  We were not hungry enough to eat them!  The gulls didn't mind them.

• Like 1

Nice work roughrider!! Time, effort, and patience pay off the most in the Walleye game- as u kno. Took me 2 years to put together all the pieces to consistently catch. This season i have been trying different techniques and it has been very humbling. Reminds me of when i first started chasing eyes.
The river is a small place. Unfortunately no spots are sacred. I was fishing with my 10 year old last week and had a boat muscle me out of the spot we were catching while we landed a fish. If my boy wasn’t with me I would have had some choice words to wish those guys good luck. To prof Ts point, I prefer getting out before anyone even rolls over in bed. It’s beautiful. Few more weeks of good fishing. Tight lines!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Roughrider,

You may want to consider postponing that retirement.

I get to fish whenever I want and hunt as well. Get up at 3 to get a couple hours in before sunrise and still have time for a decent nap. I have time to keep my gear maintained, always clean my guns before putting them away, and have organized everything in my boat.

I even sorted my nuts and bolts in the shop and separated the fine threads from the coarse ones. All of my drill bits are sharpened as well as my knives and scissors.

Its a very busy life and not everyone is cut out for it.

I hope everyone who reads this realizes I am extremely lucky and grateful for the life, family, friends and situation I have. 

Tight lines to my online friends, I need to go look for some perch.

Prof T

• Like 2

Roughrider,

You may want to consider postponing that retirement.

I get to fish whenever I want and hunt as well. Get up at 3 to get a couple hours in before sunrise and still have time for a decent nap. I have time to keep my gear maintained, always clean my guns before putting them away, and have organized everything in my boat.

I even sorted my nuts and bolts in the shop and separated the fine threads from the coarse ones. All of my drill bits are sharpened as well as my knives and scissors.

Its a very busy life and not everyone is cut out for it.

I hope everyone who reads this realizes I am extremely lucky and grateful for the life, family, friends and situation I have. 

Tight lines to my online friends, I need to go look for some perch.

Prof T

I can tell you Prof T is a very handy and organized man.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So much water to explore even in the areas we fish regularly!! Think u could spend a lifetime on the water and not hit every piece of structure from the cape to the bay. The opportunities are endless [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Kevin's said this numerous times. It'sard to find an area of the state with more opportunities for a fisherman.

I live on the river now and this summer has seen an explosion in the number of fishing boats. Don't know if it's the Bassmaster publicity or the stay close to home recommendations dealing with Covid. Probably a combination of both in combination with a lot of good PR from this site and others. Bottom line is the pressure has increased on the fish and that poses a bit of a problem.

I remember easy limits on Oneida 40 years ago, so much so that even I, a devoted stream fisherman, bought my first boat and got the Walleye fever. Populations were booming, launches were jammed and bait and tackle shops happy. After a hot run, it was followed by a deep decline in numbers. A lot of that was also attributed to factors other than pressure, but my point is that there will be swings in any fishery. After a long dip Oneida is booming again.

It's hard to release summer walleyes here because they're caught relatively deep, the water's warm  and they usually have an exhaustive battle in the current on the way to the boat. I've tried hard to revive fish in the livewell with little success. End result is that most fish caught end up in somebody's freezer. That's going to have a lasting effect I'm afraid.

So for that reason, I plan to slow down and stow the walleye gear for the remainder of this season and concentrate on the perch. 

• Like 1