Saw the wind report for a flat lake so made the trip in my old 16fter solo this morning. Started the morning off trying to help jump start another boat at the dock with mine. 15 mins later I was off fishing and his boat was back on the trailer. No go getting it going. So, I was hoping for some good karma for trying to help out. Ran out to 100' and set. Blank screen. Trolled in to 80'. Lots of marks in 70 to 80 foot but couldn't get any of them to go. I started working shallower toward the river. Found temp down 50. I figured I'd work in from 80 until I hit 50 fow and them back out. Once I hit 60 ft a downrigger fires. It jumps and starts screaming. Spooled about 3/4 of the line off my reel before I could stop it. Got her next to the boat and she wraps around the downrigger line. I am solo by the way. I put the rod in my left hand and slowly reeled in the downrigger line until the ball got near the surface. Slowly untangled it and the fight was back on. When all was said and done she ended up being 36 inches and 18.5 pounds. White flasher white meat rig. Kings solo are like a circus but so much fun!

20200920_095446.jpg

Edited by sstout
Spelling
  • Like 5

I totally get your point. If it is rough I usually do wear my life jacket when fishing solo even in the summer. I didnt today since the lake was like a bathtub with no ripples or anything. But I know it only takes a split second for something to happen. I like the idea of a rip cord. I'll have to look into that 👍

It doesn't have to be cold water, or deep either I lost a good friend who was also a charter captain and stellar bass fisherman who was fishing solo on Seneca Lake mid summer casting for bass without a life jacket on (I know because I was the last person to see him at the launch ramp that day). He apparently took a whizz and fell and hit his head on the way out of the boat. They found him in 8 ft of water. Moral of the story for me: always wear a life jacket of some sort when solo fishing.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I totally agree. It only takes a second for something to happen. My life vest is always right by my feet and easy to grab but I like the idea of a Co2 vest. I'll have to look into that more. I've looked a few times but not hard enough to pick one out. I think that's a good idea

Nothing beats the sense of accomplishment in my opinion. Managing the chaos all by yourself is where it's at. Just be careful man and consider a ripcord and/or jacket. You never know when that rogue wave or boat or fish reach might cause you to lose your balance. Don't mean to be a downer.

Sean

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I NEVER fish solo without my inflatable on. If you do happen to go overboard while trolling , the boat will just keep going at 2.5 mph. It’s not coming back for you. You’re on your own

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On 9/20/2020 at 2:05 PM, sstout said:

Saw the wind report for a flat lake so made the trip in my old 16fter solo this morning. Started the morning off trying to help jump start another boat at the dock with mine. 15 mins later I was off fishing and his boat was back on the trailer. No go getting it going. So, I was hoping for some good karma for trying to help out. Ran out to 100' and set. Blank screen. Trolled in to 80'. Lots of marks in 70 to 80 foot but couldn't get any of them to go. I started working shallower toward the river. Found temp down 50. I figured I'd work in from 80 until I hit 50 fow and them back out. Once I hit 60 ft a downrigger fires. It jumps and starts screaming. Spooled about 3/4 of the line off my reel before I could stop it. Got her next to the boat and she wraps around the downrigger line. I am solo by the way. I put the rod in my left hand and slowly reeled in the downrigger line until the ball got near the surface. Slowly untangled it and the fight was back on. When all was said and done she ended up being 36 inches and 18.5 pounds. White flasher white meat rig. Kings solo are like a circus but so much fun!

20200920_095446.jpg

I saw you guys stern to stern at the dock that morning as we were going by... I was wondering what was going on. Must have given you some good karma because we were in the same area all morning and didn't move a rod.  

Yeah. I will have to say it was my first time trying to jump a boat like that. My 16ft with the outboard down fit perfect with his 24ft stern to stern without anything banging together. I put my starting battery jumped to his. Stern to stern was the only way his cables were long enough to reach. 10 mins later his still wouldn't crank over. Must be his battery was deader than dead. Not how I pictured the first half hour of the morning going, but i had to atleast try to help.

I fish alone quite a bit and wear my co2 life jacket always! As an extra precaution, I am tethered to my kill switch by a coiled telephone cord. It expands easily to set lines and fight fish, and contracts back when I’m driving the boat.If I go overboard, my boat is going to wait for me.