Whitetails Care Less about Water

garrymny

I have to finally conclude that water is simply not a factor in hunting deer. I hunt the Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge, for 17 years now. This year is a drought. There's been a few other years like it. I can walk to my all spots with nothing but ankle high hiking shoes. There's been years when these same spots required hip waders. So, when this occurs, I seek out water sources for trail camera set ups and I have even hunted them with no success. Yesterday I thought the hidden ponds I found near soybean and corn fields would be getting hit hard by deer, for water, since it's the only water around. Just as in other drought years, I found that NO, the deer are not going there. Hardly any tracks in the mud that encircles the ponds. I am now convinced that water is simply not a good strategy for deer hunting, even in a drought year. Where they get their water I have no idea, but I can assure you these ponds are the only water sources within a half mile to mile away. The next closest would be oak orchard Creek, about a mile away. Perplexing.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

To play devil's advocate, the trail to a small pond and sole water source on our lease is simply beaten down. It's totally surrounded by cattails, easy to access without crossing an opening, and near a major travel corridor. I'd guess it just depends on the water. I will have a ground blind there this year, though, and I'll update results on Legacy's thread.

6 weeks from now those water sources will be important.  They get a lot of their water intake from their diet in the summer.

I have noticed a big change in deer movement this year but not because of the drought but because of the lack of vegetation because of the drought.  I am hoping we get some soaking rains soon.  Where I was afraid to drive my truck last year the earth is cracked this year.

In 45 years of deer hunting, I can't think of a single time!

Think about how many times you have watched a deer drink?

Now on the opposite end of the spectrum, water is very useful for cutting down on pressure and finding remote bedding in swamps or on islands in the swamps.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app