Where are the Browns ?

I typically don't mind grinding and finding them myself, but I have a short trip wed with a buddy who's been begging to get on some browns. I only target them in the spring, so I was figuring the same program of sticks and spoons. Couple leads, riggers and divers. Was thinking Olcott and see what 15fow looks like and slowly head deeper. Maybe grab a king in the skinny as well. Other than that, I'm just boating.... I'll gladly take any recent intel ! TIA.

Open to different programs. Open to different ports. From the river to the oak.

Browns are a late fall spawner whose innards are bloated with spawn. Rainbows shut down feeding in the spring till they dump their eggs also.
That does not sound reassuring to my cause.

I remember when my wife was pregnant with both our children, and her innards were bloated with spawn.... Lemme tell ya, she was definitely hungry.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Don’t rule out mature salmon just yet either. I occasionally catch them along with browns and occasional steelhead using spring tactics through October. 2 years ago I caught a mature king on a stick trolling by the Ibay piers on Oct 30th. As long as there is some stain in the water you you can have good days shoreline trolling Mid Sept, through the winter and in to the Spring, weather permitting. 

Edited by A-Lure-A

• 4 weeks later...

True Steelhead Salmon migrate to their native streams in the fall where they over winter there feeding on salmon eggs and carcasses to survive till spring. When the waters warm up they spawn their eggs and milt. About water temperature of 45 degrees F. they return to the Pacific Ocean. Each stream has special markings unlike our hatchery rainbow trout.

The Browns I was speaking of are also bottom oriented. They can usually be found randomly distributed throughout the standings at the beginning of the season but after a game or two they are right back on the bottom. This season has been somewhat different for these Browns, but true to form, they can currently be found just off the bottom, slightly above the Bengals. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess it is late for this, but a fair number of browns seem to migrate back to their stocking site.  In Rochester, a lot of browns get put in east of Irondequoit Bay mouth out toward Oklahoma Point, and we could always find a concentration right up near shore there.  I know the exact spot where DEC puts them in but it is a private residence.  But if I find a crowd at every access point on I Creek Like I did the other day, I may try spoons from shore at the new Town of Webster Park, casting from the rocks.  I think a lot of the browns that end up spawning in Webster and I Creek stage off Oklahoma and then run on later rain events.

Edited by Lucky13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Traveling Circus said:

The Browns I was speaking of are also bottom oriented. They can usually be found randomly distributed throughout the standings at the beginning of the season but after a game or two they are right back on the bottom. This season has been somewhat different for these Browns, but true to form, they can currently be found just off the bottom, slightly above the Bengals. 

Right where they belong. 

• 2 months later...
I saw some Browns get smoked in Pittsburgh yesterday.............ugh.

Will Sundays game be more competitive? Go Browns!
BTW, hope to be trolling for them mid March.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 2