Autopilot to control kicker with verado power steering

FWA

16 minutes ago, FWA said:

The electronic steering. Apparently it just eats up the battery even when its off

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

It’s not an electronic power steering it’s a electric pump habitually on Verado 200 and more. I just want to be sure that you are running a electric power steering and yes if it’s the case it takes a lot of battery when you don’t run the right set-up

I post the answer on another website but I am posting here also, maybe it can help somebody else: 

As stated, using a kicker when your main engine use an electric power steering pump will discharge your main battery because everytime that the kicker turn the pump is activated and it draw a lot of amp. This is a major problem specially if you want to use an autopilot.

To start you need two batteries a kicker kit from Mercury and a isolator.
The part# for the kit is: 8M0149838 which I understand does NOT include an isolator. For Verado models, an isolator that can handle the FULL OUTPUT of the alternator is recommended, so the recommend part# for the isolator is: 8M6006077 (140 Amp Isolator).

The kit and isolator enables the Verado to charge both batteries ...as needed . Done correctly, it charges the start battery first then the house as needed.

One is the start battery and one is what we call the "house" battery. The "house" battery is needed for a boat with Verado power steering and a kicker. The kicker doesn't put out enough charge to keep up with the amount being used by the power steering pump when the Verado is not running but you are using the Verado power steering on the kicker. A kit installed (sold by Mercury) enables the Verado to charge which ever battery needs it Tournament style boats with huge electronics and lots of them, also incorporate the "house" battery .

Capture.JPG

Kicker kit wo isolator.JPG

I am running 250 Verado with 15 pro-kicker. Using the Aux kit in the photo below. However I have two group 31 house batteries instead of one. 

Installed 15 pro kicker as alternator output is 12 amp vs 6 with the 9.9. Although not putting out full amperage at typical trolling speeds anyway.

Never had an issue running down the batteries. Running Auto pilot, Downriggers, 3 Graphs, Fishhawk, Electric planers & some other small MFDs

Onboard NOCO 3 bank charger/tender is plugged when the boat sits.

3 years on this set up, knock on wood so far flawless.

IMG_1734.jpg