Yankee @ the Oak 9/26-9/27

Saturday - Second to last offshore trip of the season. Tough part about this time of year is the lack of info all week. Took us 2/3 of the day to find them, and then it was chaos in spurts.

Today we found them out on the 32-33N line. Find the good bait and the fish aren't far behind. Highlight of today was a 15lb 2yr old. That fish hit a diver out 300' pulling a Team Dreamweaver Spin Doctor/ A-Tom-Mik Mfg. Glow Stud fly. Good spoons today were UV Mongoose, Frost Bite, and Glow Green Alwife. Hot flies today were Glow Stud, BAM, and Glow B fly.

The program today was 150 & 200 A-TOM-MIK copper on one side. 10 color FishUSA Stealthcore & 300 copper on the other. 400 copper down the chute. We parked our three Cannon Downriggers at 45-100', and divers from 250-300'. You have to cover as much of the water column as you can this time of year. Surface was 64* and the thermocline was at 80'.

Sunday - Taking her to the barn! Today we fished our last day on the Yankee for the 2020 season. Wind forecast wasn't good for the offshore area we've been fishing, so we were forced to do the stager thing. We grabbed a couple on the wall first thing, and then we slid out a little and grabbed another in about 45' of water.

We've got a lot of work planned for the ol girl this off-season so stay tuned for updates on that. This also means Oneida Lake Walleye charters will start up. Looking forward to that change of pace.

PXL_20200926_161420521.jpegPXL_20200926_162027206.jpegPXL_20200926_160826247.jpegPXL_20200927_121247948.jpegPXL_20200927_105026246.NIGHT.jpegPXL_20200927_133759924.jpegPXL_20200927_185743278.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 7

Yankee Troller, thank you for all of the great fishing posts all through this difficult season. Your detailed reports are the best. Looking forward to hearing about your upgrades. Once again thank you!

• Like 1

Great report Rick and I would echo the above comments. This hasn't been an easy year for any of us out there but it has nevertheless been a good one and you seemed to set the bar for many of the rest of us with your generous detailed reports and stimulating pics. You obviously work hard to get your customers and friends into the fish and it shows:smile: Best of luck on Oneida and be ready to cull the little guys (e.g. those 14 inchers):lol:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rick- Thanks for all your great reports !! Us rec guys really appreciate the detail you give in your reports. Its been a challenging year for all of us. Hopefully next year we can be back to normal with tournaments etc. See ya at the Niagara expo !

1 hour ago, jimski2 said:

With too much bait available why would fish strike your artificial lures?

There's not too much bait out there. There was bait higher in the water column sitting in colder water a few miles to the inside of where we fished, but these fish wanted deep bait on the thermocline offshore where the more stable water was.

Good on you my boat is already out sad day but I have next season to look forward to and with the information you have been telling me I’m sure to do better next year. I have noticed is few use the radio anymore it was what we all used to coordinate our efforts it’s a sad day when we who are older have to resort to tiwiter or facecloth for fishing information 

12 hours ago, Scott sommerville said:

Good on you my boat is already out sad day but I have next season to look forward to and with the information you have been telling me I’m sure to do better next year. I have noticed is few use the radio anymore it was what we all used to coordinate our efforts it’s a sad day when we who are older have to resort to tiwiter or facecloth for fishing information 

Yea, technology has made it so the VHF is less popular. We still use it a bit up at the Oak, and I know the Rochester boys use it. 

The Coast Guards on both sides of the lake monitor Channel 16 24 hours a day at dozens of stations. No need for relays and phone calls to delay response times while decisions are made. The new radios have automatic GPS numbers displayed. Your cell phone call may be answered in Canada and another delay is incurred. Your best emergency help to day is your VHF radio. Learn to use it.