Canandaigua Canandaguia PB Rainbow

TBRMAX

Launched today at 7:30ish and began trolling north as soon as I hit some deep water. Breaking in my new electric downrigger (Cannon Mag5), No bites so I push farther north near the condos. Caught an 11lb 3 oz rainbow. What a thrill. Prior to this my best Bow was 6.2. No other fish after that. Cant complain, great morning. Been trying to find some browns in that lake but no luck yet, any tips? are they deeper? Been fishing from 30 to 70 ft down.

Thanks

Max

11lb trout.JPG

11 lb bow.jpg

• Like 8

:yes: Nice going that sure is a beauty. As far as the browns go they seem to be scarce now but trolling has never been the most productive way to get them on Canandaigua either so it is difficult to assess right now.

Edited by Sk8man

My hunch is that there may be more browns than folks think but a) they tend to locate in difficult to fish spots (e.g. at the deep edge of drop-offs, b) they are primarily night feeders and not many folks night fish anymore, They are not "roamers" like rainbows and tend to locate in set areas much of the time depending on food availability....they are never far away from bait and food sources. Even the big ones are fond of small stickbaits and spoons trolled at long distances from the boat. Unfortunately the boat traffic on Canandaigua for much of the season is insane and I think a lot of the browns are spooked by it and hunker down near bottom near mouths of streams (not many on Cdga) and in the 40- 80 ft range near bottom around the drop-offs and they are tough to get at when trolling. Stillfishing for them with bait is more productive here as you can present the bait much more precisely and they are more tempted by it (whether alive or dead). In low light conditions in early AM trolling right around docks and shorelines with inline boards and small stickbaits or toplines way in back of the boat can be productive, but you pretty much have to  go with just those shallow rigs because of the highly irregular bottom so it limits number of lines that can be used (e.g. pretty much impossible to use riggers or things like wire rigs etc). Black and silver Rapalas and the black and gold ones seem to attract them, Small spoons such as the little Honeybees also work well. You may want to stay away from chartreuse color or blues in there as the smallies will hammer the blue and the pickerel can be a problem with the chartreuse.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

My hunch is that there may be more browns than folks think but a) they tend to locate in difficult to fish spots (e.g. at the deep edge of drop-offs, b) they are primarily night feeders and not many folks night fish anymore, They are not "roamers" like rainbows and tend to locate in set areas much of the time depending on food availability....they are never far away from bait and food sources. Even the big ones are fond of small stickbaits and spoons trolled at long distances from the boat. Unfortunately the boat traffic on Canandaigua for much of the season is insane and I think a lot of the browns are spooked by it and hunker down near bottom near mouths of streams (not many on Cdga) and in the 40- 80 ft range near bottom around the drop-offs and they are tough to get at when trolling. Stillfishing for them with bait is more productive here as you can present the bait much more precisely and they are more tempted by it (whether alive or dead). In low light conditions in early AM trolling right around docks and shorelines with inline boards and small stickbaits or toplines way in back of the boat can be productive, but you pretty much have to  go with just those shallow rigs because of the highly irregular bottom so it limits number of lines that can be used (e.g. pretty much impossible to use riggers or things like wire rigs etc). Black and silver Rapalas and the black and gold ones seem to attract them, Small spoons such as the little Honeybees also work well. You may want to stay away from chartreuse color or blues in there as the smallies will hammer the blue and the pickerel can be a problem with the chartreuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Good luck. If t he water still has any mudline from the recent rain along the shore try to fish in and out of where it meets the clearer water.