Any advice on Owasco?

sstout

Anyone have any advice on where to start fishing Owasco? I'm trying to target bows, browns, maybe the occasional laker. Walleye would be a bonus. I spend alot of time on cayuga and lake O on occasion but have never fished owasco. I plan on launching from emerson park saturday morning. Would you start east side, west side etc? Looking at a map there is a hump on the west side that rises from the bottom not far from the launch at the north. Maybe start there?

Also, is there a kiosk or something to pay at on the way in emerson park or do you just pay someone on the way out. Never launched there. Thanks for any advice!

Anyone have any advice on where to start fishing Owasco? I'm trying to target bows, browns, maybe the occasional laker. Walleye would be a bonus. I spend alot of time on cayuga and lake O on occasion but have never fished owasco. I plan on launching from emerson park saturday morning. Would you start east side, west side etc? Looking at a map there is a hump on the west side that rises from the bottom not far from the launch at the north. Maybe start there?

Also, is there a kiosk or something to pay at on the way in emerson park or do you just pay someone on the way out. Never launched there. Thanks for any advice!

Launching and parking is free.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

We have found the best luck on the north east side this year. Start there and watch your screens for active fish. We don’t catch a ton of silvers on the lake but the ones we have caught were on that east side in 80-100 fow in the top 40’. I am sure a lot has changed in the last few weeks with temps but that’s where I would start.

Good luck. Let us know how you do!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Last I was there, which was probably a month ago and it was still warm, I could only find a couple of lakers down on the bottom around 90 FOW. We launched out of emerson and at the time the booth was closed and we didn't have to pay anything. 

Fished owasco about a week ago. marked lots of lakers  on bottom from mid lake to south end on west side. and jigged up a few nice ones. They are in spawn transision mood Best depth was around 100. Also trolled for silvers but only caught one big laker at 70 over 120 and one walleye at 50 over 120. Saw many lakers suspended in deep water. This is lockjaw time so even if you see plenty you will have to be persistant For silvers i think the bait is part of the puzzle. Have fun and enjoy the weather.

I appreciate all the advice. I decided to bail on Owasco tomorrow. The weather is holding so am actually going to winterize the boat early and do a few projects on the old girl that I've been wanting to do for a while. Sorting out old wiring from the previous owner etc. 

The lakers in Owasco lake are not bottom huggers. they are bait huggers. Very early in the morning you will find them spread out across the lake above and under the thermocline, but always near a bait concentration. As the morning advances they will move away from the center of the lake and congregate in areas with very steep drop offs where they will spend most of the day until the light changes again in the late afternoon. It is possible to catch them by running lures close to almost vertical "walls" quite close to the western shore. Walleye are a bit different. Although you can use the same lures and speed for walleyes and lakers , the walleyes are always a bit above the thermocline and not so much in the northern parts of the lake , but more in the south eastern parts. as always browns like it warm and the rainbows..., Well eyes and rainbows do not get along well. the magic in Owasco Lake is connected to the wind and the currents it creates. Add to that the points sticking out from the shore and you end up fishing in what I like to call  "Lake Wegmans"

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1