Got out for the first time for a few hours later this morning. :D:D:D Trolled some pirate 55's and some rapala x-raps without any luck. There is a lot of debris right around the East end of the pier. Good colored water around, but was only 37 degrees in the colored water, and only gradually dropped to 35-36 as you got out of the colored water. Sure felt good to get out there finally even without any fish.

The ramp on the East side is useable, but there aren't any docks and I don't believe they go in until April. Definately easier with some help.

Be carefull out there right now with all the debris in the water. Hope to get out again soon. Good luck in the upcoming season everyone. - Mick

Mick, thanks for the report and staying true to your word about pulling some Pirates in memory of Joe. I plan to do the same the first trip out. Keep us posted to the ramp situation. Best of luck to you as well this season. - Duane

Thank's Duane. I got out again this morning @ 8 and could only troll in the East bay with 2 footers from the West. Switched to 44's today with 0 hookups again other than the bottom coming off the East side of the River mouth. I got hung up 2x right there yesterday also with the rigger only down 6 feet FYI. It was a little trickier on my own today with the extra wind/waves. The water temp came up to 39 at the high from 37 yesterday, and I did see a few small pods of bait right around the mouth on the sonar. I probably won't be out again until Friday so I'll report back after then. Have a good one and see everyone out there soon- Mick

I keep my boat at the North for the season (East Side) , and the 1 side of the ramp is open of debris and I was able to put the boat in the water Myself only since I could leave it at the North's Docks and then move my truck/trailer. The docks on the East side usually don't go in untill April. It is the same story on the West side ramps off of Archbald road (Where I Grew Up). i will definately give updates on the dock situation as I live in Lyntucky as you do, but I am down at the Oak pretty frequentely. Try and call 4 c's Marina or Lake Breeze Marina and ask if you could use their ramp, if you truly need a dock? Daily highs should be near 40 or above so lets hope it starts happening. I probably jumped the gun a little early, but I couldn't take it any longer after being cooped up all winter with limited open water on the local streams. Thank God for Ice Fishing to get me through. - Mick

At golden hill there is the first section of a dock so its at least something. We put the boat with my kid in it and he kind of push poled it while we parked the truck, etc.

I think I might try the oak and just bring my waders.

Golden hill is also a little more forgiving because there is no current in that little bay where you launch.

Water was 40 degrees in the river today. I won't be going out again until Saturday. I've launched out of Golden Hill in the past. I think they put the docks in somewhere around the first week in April also. You also are a little protected from the point with the lighthouse if there is a west wind there. Good Luck

Dear Mountain Goat,

Here at Captain's Cove, between the Rtes. 18 and 98 bridges, you can dock or launch your boat - if it will fit under the 1 lane bridge that runs across the Oak. We charge $5 to launch and park but we also have a seasonal launch for $50.

You can also launch at the Orleans County Marine Park Public Boat Launch (free) near the Black North, or for a daily use charge, at the Orleans County Marine Park West (off Archbald Rd.).

Hope that answers your question.

Captain's Cove Resort

Oak Orchard River

585-682-3316

Went out this morning 3/21 with my wife and son. West wind early and barely a ripple on the water. Water temp was only 35-36 degrees in the west bay so we headed east. Found the better colored and 37 to almost 40 degree water in the east bay and finally hooked up with our first lake fish of the year.

Pq2j945r.jpg

After the rigger went off 120 back 4 down with a 3f evil eye chartruse/silver/green I set the rod in the middle holder and let my son have at it. He did a great job of keeping the line tight and that was our end result. I was glad he braved the cold(although it was warmer out there from 8-9 before the wind switched north) to land the first fish for the year. Well the brownie went back in for someone to catch another day.

We only saw 2 other smaller boats out there. After that we perch fished for a while in the river and ended up with a few keepers, and more dinks, all on smaller shiners. It won't be long before things get going now. We just need some warmer water. Good luck everyone- Mick

Mick, good job and thanks for your report. May try to make it up on April 4th. Believe that is when they are constructing the pens, plus I have my boat at Lake Breeze. Keep the reports coming. They are appreciated-Duane

Chinook. I have no problem giving honest reports of waves,wind,temps, and conditions

if I can make it out there. As temps rise ( air and water) I'm sure we'll see more reports and action out there. It's only a matter of time. - Mick

MICK,

I JOINED UP TODAY AND SAW YOUR POST ABOUT FISHING AT THE OAK. I WISH I WAS FISHING WITH YOU, I WILL CALL YOU WHEN I AM COMING UP THERE NEXT AND SEE IF YOU ARE ABLE TO GET OUT. THATS A GREAT SPRING FISH. I AM GLAD YOU ARE TAKING YOUR SON OUT FISHING LIKE I USED TOO TAKE YOU, JOE AND MY KIDS TO THE POND WHEN YOU WERE LITTLE, THATS WHAT FAMILY AND MAKING LIFE LESSONS ARE LEARNED AND MEMORIES ARE MADE.

TIGHT LINES,

FOUR KINGS

Thank's Uncle Bill. This is a great site with a lot of great people on it. Make sure you post in the new members section and meet some good people. We will get out there soon. - Nephew Mick