Fall fishing tips for Cayuga

New to lake fishing, looking for information about fishing Cayuga Lake this fall. My boat is at the Finger Lakes marina - had a little success over the summer trolling for lake trout and landlocked. Looking specifically for info about techniques (trolling v/s jigging) and what species to target in October and November. Also, are some parts of the lake better than others. My son and I did a little better when we fished near Long Point - only problem  is the long boat ride from Finger Lakes Marina up to Long Point.

For jigging try 1oz-1.5 oz jighead with a white shad soft bait 3.5 inch size. Look for fish say 50-100 ft, drop your jig to the bottom and reel it up at a steady pace until on surface then drop again. Usually lakers on bottom, salmon, browns, rainbows through the water column. Simple but it works

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Trolled yesterday 3 ft off the bottom in 100 ft ish

16 lakers in a little over 3 hours. Average was about 6 lbs. Was epic.

Ran 10 color.. 300 copper... 2 3 color lead and didn't move them on silver fish

Screenshot_20201005-073016.png

Edited by bandrus1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Trolled yesterday 3 ft off the bottom in 100 ft ish

16 lakers in a little over 3 hours. Average was about 6 lbs. Was epic.

Ran 10 color.. 300 copper... 2 3 color lead and didn't move them on silver fish

Screenshot_20201005-073016.png

Bandrus 1,

Thanks for your response to my post. My son and I have fished the lake hard with occasional success - mostly frustration. If you feel comfortable, would you please give me a shout at 607-239-0809 to answer a few questions about your trip. Our boat is still in the water at Finger Lakes Marina and I would love one more shot at the lakers. Our last trip was a boat ride. Thank you. Tony Moran    'Semper Fi'