Cannon Customer Service??

ErieBuck

53 minutes ago, ErieBuck said:

Appreciate your efforts Yankee -- you're a good man.  I will be sure to pay closer attention to the how the line is winding.  Crazy there isn't some sort of level-wind guide on these... hopefully they will incorporate into future designs.  What made you switch to braid?  Any problems with fleas?

Yup, fleas can be a problem, but it's manageable. Thinner diameter allows my presentations to be more efficient with less blowback. Also, it eliminates cable hummm.

I found info on LOU I think from SK8man that linked to a 200 # stainless cable that got good reviews etc.  it was an on line buy during the peak of Covid, and it came in just a couple of days. I fished with it a couple of times and it worked fine. Also both cable breaks I had were in the cable not at the termination, the last one was 36 feet from the ball, I checked it.

i would buy Cannons, but I do agree that it seems smart business for a few extra bucks to install high end cable from  a reliable supplier.

i hand direct the cable on the spool on the way up unless auto up because of fish on and also us my hand to act as a snubber on the bounce.

I will admit, I had to order some parts I would deem "wear parts" from Cannon this week. I found their customer service great, and very knowledge. Unfortunately, I feel like sometimes you get the bad apple when you call into customer service. 

• 9 months later...

I JUST GOT 2 DOWNRIGGERS NEW MAG TS LOWERED THE BALL SETUP GOT A FISH BROUGHT UP THE BALL,LOWERED THE BALL AND THE CABLE SNAPED AT 55 FEET DOWN SO IT WAS DOWN ONCE, UP ONCE, DOWN ONCE, AND LOST 155 DOLLARS OF FISHING STUFF THIS IS BULL THREE TIMES.

Sorry man, that sucks!  At least you didn't have a probe on.  I now use snubbers and switched to this 1mm, 49 strand wire and haven't had a problem since:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/323970070042?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649.   216lb test (vs. cannon 150lb), doesn't kink, and still fits through the Cannon terminators, not perfectly but it goes through.  Awesome cable.  This was the only stuff I could find at the time that was stronger and close in diameter to the cannon wire.  Takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive from Australia.  

I had the same thing happen and lost the probe!

The Cannon customer service rep was very nice and responsive however would only send new Cannon cable at No Charge.

She was polite and explained it happens often, “we get bad cable from our manufactures”!

When it happened the second time I changed my cable on both downriggers.

Pappy it happens often screw the very nice may be it is is time to make them stand up for there product and pay us for all we lost along with lost fishing days and all cost that we have got due to there bad product or there manufactures, China

I had the handle grip come off in my hand on both of my manual downriggers. The first time I just ordered the replacement. The second time I called customer service and complained. I had to argue with the representative to have them send me a replacement and they told me it would be 2 weeks for it to arrive. I had to cover the expense to have it shipped out quickly so I could use it on an upcoming trip.

I was not pleased. I am likely going to purchase electric riggers over the winter and they will probably not be Cannons based on my experience.

• 7 months later...
On 7/24/2021 at 9:18 AM, ErieBuck said:

Sorry man, that sucks!  At least you didn't have a probe on.  I now use snubbers and switched to this 1mm, 49 strand wire and haven't had a problem since:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/323970070042?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649.   216lb test (vs. cannon 150lb), doesn't kink, and still fits through the Cannon terminators, not perfectly but it goes through.  Awesome cable.  This was the only stuff I could find at the time that was stronger and close in diameter to the cannon wire.  Takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive from Australia.  

What was the brand? the link doesn't work. Just ordered some optimums and am not risking a probe with the stock cable.

A lot of mishaps can be mitigated... use shock absorbers/snubbers... and keep the weights in the water when you attach your line so they don't bounce in high seas.  Also, adjust the default speed to low or medium setting to avoid the high power motor from creating a snap in high seas.   Also be mindful of the retro ease if you intend to use one.... if its in the way and you release your ball it can create a world of problems.  Part of my workflow is to make sure the retro ease line is taught and cinched on the clip before sending the ball down.   

Edited by ErieBuck

• 1 month later...

I want to thank Cannon Customer service…. Coming out of storage, the circuit board on one of my Optimum TS failed.  I called customer service and they immediately sent me a new board which I received in a few days.  Installed it myself in about 10 minutes, re-paired everything and I’m good to go!  Thank you Cannon!  

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2022 at 9:31 AM, ErieBuck said:

I want to thank Cannon Customer service…. Coming out of storage, the circuit board on one of my Optimum TS failed.  I called customer service and they immediately sent me a new board which I received in a few days.  Installed it myself in about 10 minutes, re-paired everything and I’m good to go!  Thank you Cannon!  

Also seems they've fixed their wire issues or im lucky, because i have about a dozen trips on those optimums with stock cable and no issues. I couldn't find any of the replacement stuff you guys were using.

I know it's an old thread, but I'm just adding that our Cannon Mag 10s have gave us a world of trouble since day one. 2 probes and 2 sharks gone. Good bye $1000.

We've since gotten snubbers which helps, but I hold my breath every time bringing them up and down. And I fish with a pit in my stomach each day hoping there won't be another break.

Another thing that went wrong is that one of the riggers would deploy down but one day stopped retrieving. Opened up the housing and replaced the connection that could've gotten wet and damaged. Seems to have worked but time will tell.

Another thing is that it looks like the cable has worn against the housing creating little saw tooth gashes in the plastic. Looks to me like they're just waiting to fray and break the cable.

I'm about ready to just throw in the towel and get another set of riggers. Peace of mind would be worth it alone.

1 hour ago, Pappy said:

I will never use Cannon Cable again ever!

1st time in used the cannon same for me last year lowered the cable 70ft then 10 min got a fish brought up the ball got the fish off lowered the rigger down again 43 feet snap the went the 10 pound shark flasher and fly 125.00 lost you guys are not alone and I don't care what anyone says service is one the worst the I have ever delt with.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:01 AM, Gregger300 said:

I had the handle grip come off in my hand on both of my manual downriggers. The first time I just ordered the replacement. The second time I called customer service and complained. I had to argue with the representative to have them send me a replacement and they told me it would be 2 weeks for it to arrive. I had to cover the expense to have it shipped out quickly so I could use it on an upcoming trip.

I was not pleased. I am likely going to purchase electric riggers over the winter and they will probably not be Cannons based on my experience.

We have manual cannon riggers on our bass boat. They've worked well for many years and without problems.

However, I would highly recommend staying away from electric Cannons.

On 6/24/2022 at 5:48 PM, Garyf said:

We have manual cannon riggers on our bass boat. They've worked well for many years and without problems.

However, I would highly recommend staying away from electric Cannons.

I ended up going with a pair of used Scotty's and so far I love them!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 1:34 PM, Garyf said:

I know it's an old thread, but I'm just adding that our Cannon Mag 10s have gave us a world of trouble since day one. 2 probes and 2 sharks gone. Good bye $1000.

We've since gotten snubbers which helps, but I hold my breath every time bringing them up and down. And I fish with a pit in my stomach each day hoping there won't be another break.

Another thing that went wrong is that one of the riggers would deploy down but one day stopped retrieving. Opened up the housing and replaced the connection that could've gotten wet and damaged. Seems to have worked but time will tell.

Another thing is that it looks like the cable has worn against the housing creating little saw tooth gashes in the plastic. Looks to me like they're just waiting to fray and break the cable.

I'm about ready to just throw in the towel and get another set of riggers. Peace of mind would be worth it alone.

@Garyf make sure the cable is coming off the bottom of the spool and not the top.  If the cable is wound on the spool backwards, it comes off the top of the spool and digs into the plastic housing.  I've learned the hard way...  

On 7/6/2022 at 9:55 AM, ErieBuck said:

@Garyf make sure the cable is coming off the bottom of the spool and not the top.  If the cable is wound on the spool backwards, it comes off the top of the spool and digs into the plastic housing.  I've learned the hard way...  

Really good thing to check. I just went outside and checked that the spool is running the right way. I thought it might be the case where we have them backwards - I almost wish it was so that there was an "aha" moment and this whole thing would be fixed.

But I just checked and they are definitely spooled from the bottom.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and help.

• Like 1