Beer Batter...crispy?

Crushed ritz crackers, old bay, garlic powder, and a little cayenne. Or same spices but Panko bread crumbs for the crunch. When done frying, place the fish on a rack so grease doesnt soak into it. I ice fish so there is ALOT of panfish hitting my cast iron. Never tried fried salmon though. Maybe this year.

About the deep fried Salmon....one word....NOOOooo!

Been there, done it, never never again....FISHY!...caca, pooooy!

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I had a little coffee shop back in the day and I used to use a batter mix called Golden Dipt that you can buy in any stuffing aisle of any grocery store. I think they make a beer batter mix also. Everyone loved it.

Note to self...read the WHOLE thread before posting. Sorry FLX TROLLER!

Edited by Thun

Hot oil,    Pa always said,  " Never cover your fish when frying", if using a deep fryer when they float + 1 min. they are done ,drain on a paper towel & if you don't eat them asap put them in the oven on low & they will stay warm & crisp.  I also use the golden dip or Itialian bread crumbs.  jmho.

I have gotten pretty good results mixing golden dipt beer batter with louisiana seasoned fish fry (both at wegmans). I use 50/50 ratio with enough beer to get the right consistency fry in 350-375 oil. its the best of both worlds! attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1392864117.565882.jpg

This was a big batch of Walleye cut fillets into large fish sticks. It was awesome!

Your killing me, just seeing those walleyes makes my mouth water. Come on May 3rd, not sure if we will still need the tip-ups but will be out there!! LOL

Years ago I went to Hay Bay several times for walleye and stayed at the Blakewood Lodge. They had tiny little cabins with bunk beds a sink from the 40s and some of the first refidgerators ever made. The main lodge had a dining room and kitchen and the owner lived on the other side. He was a chef and used to cook some awsome meals. He would do a fish fry one night that was to die for. I asked him how he cooked the fish. He told me the most important thing is to get rid of the skin, the lateral line, all the dark meat under the skin and the silvery membrane lining the internal cavity (that gets rid of all the gamy taste, not to mention much of the toxins). It helps to have a good sharp and flexible filet knife. He dipped it in an egg batter (egg with a little milk) and then in crushed cracker crumbs. He then pan fried it with about 1/2" of oil. No seasoning but I would imagine you could add whatever seasoning you prefer. I crushed up ritz crackers when I did it and it was just as good as his. It is important that the oil be heated up before you add the fish. I used canola oil. I don't know what temp I used but what I did is put a few drops of water in the pan and after it boils out I put the fish in. When the down side is brown I fliped it over and browned the other side. It should only take about two or three minuets on each side. Remove it from the pan and set it on paper towel to soak up the excess oil.

Edited by muskiedreams

You forgot one word.......... NASTY!!!!

One of my buddies fried up a fresh small coho last summer and said it was the best fish he ever had!

i have had some fried salmon that was pretty good. here are my recs: smaller fish, cut into fish stick portions, trim off all fat, etc, rinse and rinse, the final rinse i add lemon juice to water and let fish soak for a few minutes, rinse again.

yellow cornmeal seasoned and salted to preference. roll pieces in coating, let coated pieces sit to help it bind to fish. then fry.

i prefer small pieces over big because it allows more surface area of coating and flavor, and easier to handle.

enjoy

• 4 weeks later...

Actually when I fry fish, I just use an egg wash and cracker meal.  Take the cheap square boxes of saltine crackers and run the crackers through a food processor to grind them to a fine texture. Dip the fillets in the egg wash and then bread them in the cracker meal and deep fry.

Deep frying is not my favorite way to prepare salmon, we usually smoke or grill those, but this is killer on perch and walleye, bluegills, etc.

Tim

I'll have to try that, maybe townhouse crackers.  I like the saltines because I'm cheap and you can get the box of 4 sleeves of crackers at Aldi's for like 98 cents. :)   I put salt, pepper and a little onion and garlic powder in the egg wash.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...