Fall bass fishing

Just looking for opinions on what everyone thinks to be the best finger lake to do some fall bass fishing, around mid to late September. I want to give a lake a try next fall(2021). Species of bass is not that important, but who doesn't like catching small mouths. Thanks for any advice.

I think I would be looking at the north end of Cayuga. For smallies  I would think start at where it drops off (starting at about 17 or 18 ft) near Canoga  toward south on the west side and from Frontenac to Farley's Point on the east side. Largemouth all along the extreme north end weeds both sides.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I think I would be looking at the north end of Cayuga. For smallies  I would think start at where it drops off (starting at about 17 or 18 ft) near Canoga  toward south on the west side and from Frontenac to Farley's Point on the east side. Largemouth all along the extreme north end weeds both sides.
Thank you, appreciate it!!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For Smallmouths in fall, I personally think Keuka or Skaneateles are   better choices than Cayuga...Had good luck both lakes.

Yes Cayuga has LMB at the north end but that entire area gets blasted hard year round by the bass boat crowds, tournament guys etc...

It is not what it once was...

Edited by bulletbob

For Smallmouths in fall, I personally think Keuka or Skaneateles are   better choices than Cayuga...Had good luck both lakes.
  Yes Cayuga has LMB at the north end but that entire area gets blasted hard year round by the bass boat crowds, tournament guys etc...
 It is not what it once was...
Thanks for the information, appreciate it!

Skaneatles is your best bet IMO for catchable smallmouth bass.  Otisco is fishing well for smallmouth right at the causeway, but most of them are still offshore on bait.  I caught some tanks Sunday down 35+ feet.  Last I knew Cayuga wasnt fishing well at all, but that was 2 weeks ago.  NYS bass federation finished up their season there and most boats couldn't get a limit and many didn't get a fish.

Skaneatles is your best bet IMO for catchable smallmouth bass.  Otisco is fishing well for smallmouth right at the causeway, but most of them are still offshore on bait.  I caught some tanks Sunday down 35+ feet.  Last I knew Cayuga wasnt fishing well at all, but that was 2 weeks ago.  NYS bass federation finished up their season there and most boats couldn't get a limit and many didn't get a fish.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it!!

Alewives should begin dropping into their fall/winter deep pattern that will eliminate them from the bass’s menu. The suspended smallies should leave their pattern and move to deep weed lines and rocky points. Better fishing to come. 

skinny is stiff with smb this time of year -they are everywhere in water 20 feet deep and under, mixed with nice perch and rock bass.. Last fall  when I was perch fishing  could not keep nice size bass off the hooks...just one after another