Seneca Holy eels on Seneca

They probably show up I been getting slot of marks up high in the first 20ft, a lot of small rainbows and salmon up high too gonna shoot down to Dresden for the last few trips and hope for some off fish

If people remember correctly, the lampricide treatment was not effective/impossible to conduct two years in a row due to flooding. Not saying that is why there is an issue, but that is why there is a greater issue as far as Eels are concerned. We are now seeing the result of those missed treatments.

Seneca has been on the decline, noticeably ever since the 18lb BT won the derby in 2016 and to the "Seneca Fisherman", a few years before that.

I have had the same occurrence with eels sticking to my motor/outdrive/hull for at least 3 years now.

The DEC is certainly not ignoring the problem, I think we are at the tail end of those missed treatments from 2-3 years ago. As far as the treatments go they (DEC) are at the mercy of Mother Nature.

Add that to the 10 other non-related problems Seneca suffers from.

the lamprey is the most destructive thing to come to the Great Lakes. it cost a lot of money to treat them. this problem started back around 1820 when we put in the barge canal. by 1830 they were in our Great Lakes in our state. it got worse when the welland canal went through. all the Great Lakes got infected with them. we have never got a handle on them yet. all we do is treat. if we miss a few treatments we have a set back. man created this problem. you think man would use his brain a little to come up with a better solution to control them. why can't we put In some kind of barrier to block them from getting into the Seneca and cayuga lake system. do some work on the keuka outlet and put in some kind of barrier with the stream at the south end of Seneca. 

Lamprey can also reproduce in the Delta's of creeks. Eradication is not practically possible in lakes the size of Seneca. There are even indications that lamprey have been there from before human interference. That all said human interaction and change of the environment combined with multiple invasive species puts a lot of pressure on the system and sometimes the spieces that best thrives is not the desirable one. Let's hope for ideal weather for stream treatment this spring and a early spring to strengthen the forage base and lead to good recruitment of this year's stockies

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think the life cycle of the lamprey is 5 years. they live in the stream for 3 years. once they get out. the adult ones do the damage. one lamprey can kill about 100 trout.  all we do is treat and stock more trout. we have to do something different controlling them. audio books has 3 nice books. the death and life of the Great Lakes by dan Egan. the living Great Lakes by jerry Dennis. lake invaders by William rapal. I have all 3 of them. man created this problem. you think the lamprey is bad wait till we get the asian carp in the Great Lakes. 

F-ing crazy!  I used to catch about 350 lake trout a season (jigging) in the mid-2000's until I sold my boat in 2011.  Came back last summer and caught nine.  I've been on Seneca since the first weekend in April this year and I've caught 11 so far this year.  SAD!

• 11 months later...

rumor has it they are very good eating.  there are wild populations in other areas that are on the verge of collapse due to over harvest.  

Those folks need to come here and take all they can.  Personally i wouldn't want to hold one long enough to clean it.

I'm curious have been you been seeing this all year or really just starting to see it again now?