I bought a 26ft pursuit last season , looking to add auto pilot.

It's an I/O with power assist cable steering.

My main question is does anyone have a similar setup with and octopus style actuator and garmin electronics ? If so how does it hold course?

And does it have good correction ?

Mainly interested with troll speeds

Thanks any feed back would be appreciated, chris

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 7 months later...

Quick update I went with the Garmin reactor 40 linked to a garmin 7610xsv , overall happy need to play with it a little works great in calm conditions, only negative is if wind is blowing and catches bow it over corrects itself over and over again and has a hard time leveling off but that might be the nature of the beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Quick update I went with the Garmin reactor 40 linked to a garmin 7610xsv , overall happy need to play with a little works great in calm conditions, only negative is if wind is blowing and catches bow it over corrects itself over and over again and has a hard time leveling off but that might be the nature of the beast.

How rough and how bad is the over correction?..asking as interested putting something like that on a fishmaster 196. I have to believe some is nature of the beast and to some extent variable turning (within reason) is goos for fishing but not if it messes with your trolling spread of course.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

How rough and how bad is the over correction?..asking as interested putting something like that on a fishmaster 196. I have to believe some is nature of the beast and to some extent variable turning (within reason) is goos for fishing but not if it messes with your trolling spread of course.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

To the point if I had a full spread out I’d be worried about board lines and divers touching . But I also have not played with settings yet ... I just push standby and straighten it out manually then engage again .

1 hour ago, minion said:

To the point if I had a full spread out I’d be worried about board lines and divers touching . But I also have not played with settings yet ... I just push standby and straighten it out manually then engage again .

You should look at the settings and see if there is a "sea-state filter" option you can adjust. I have the Garmin TR-1 Gold AP on my kicker and had the same issue when I first installed it. After some research I turned down the sea-state filter sensitivity and it completely eliminated the over-correcting issue for me. Factory setting had the kicker turning very fast and almost wildly in response to waves, I adjusted the filter down and slowed it down the kicker movements significantly. Goodluck!

where is your GPS receiver unit mounted on the vessel.  I have a the same garmin  unit on my 26’cc. It has a hydraulic steer out board but I’ve had zero issue with the system holding course in 8’+waves and 25+mph winds.  When I called Garmin they warned me about mounting the GPS receiver too far forward.( I was going to mount it almost in the bow under the anchor locker) when I did have it installed at MidRiver marina Jeff Bogner actually mounted it in the center console. I’ve had it hold course at 2mph with bags and 45mph in open seas. 

• 2 weeks later...

You have 3 options:

Octopus Helm Drive

Octopus Remote Drive

Convert to Hydraulic steering  and use hydraulic autopilot.

Octopus Helm drives require 10-12in of free space behind the dash in order to install.  Octopus Remote Drives install back by your yoke and power assist cylinder and use a secondary steering cable mounted via some often times difficult to install mounting brackets.  If you can tackle either install then youll get "satisfactory" results for trolling and cruising.  Steering will still feel like cable steering.

Converting to hydraulic would certainly give the best performance.  Overall smoother steering.  This is the route I ended up taking after suffering with Helm driven autopilot setups for a few years.  And Its the best decision i ever made.

• 2 months later...

Little update after playing with it the rest of the season… a lot of it had to do with speed ! I was trolling way to slow and not enough rpm to keep me on course .. HUGE shout out to FISHHAWK ( bad probe and different subject)…. But all I can say is their customer service is above and beyond !! after getting probe replaced and trolling almost a full mph faster and catching fish lol holds well and even more so if you deploy the trolling bags and kick up the rpms even more
Works well overall , wouldn’t hesitate recommending