Skaneateles SKAN 10-6-20

Launched out of the State ramp today looking for LLS and RT on the southern half of the lake. Trolled from 7:00 to 10:30.  Surface temp was 62.  Lots of marks down 75 to 90.  Nothing high.  Had one hit high is all.  Dropped down to see if any LT would be active  Unfortunately, they were not.  Switched to perch and only managed some smaller ones, rock bass and a pickerel.  Found some schools, but they were finicky at best.  

The lake is low and I heard south end launches are not accessible. Definitely my worst outing for coldwater species in years.  Should have stayed on the north end maybe.  A few perch guys out.  Nobody else trout fishing that I saw.

Launched out of the State ramp today looking for LLS and RT on the southern half of the lake. Trolled from 7:00 to 10:30.  Surface temp was 62.  Lots of marks down 75 to 90.  Nothing high.  Had one hit high is all.  Dropped down to see if any LT would be active  Unfortunately, they were not.  Switched to perch and only managed some smaller ones, rock bass and a pickerel.  Found some schools, but they were finicky at best.  

The lake is low and I heard south end launches are not accessible. Definitely my worst outing for coldwater species in years.  Should have stayed on the north end maybe.  A few perch guys out.  Nobody else trout fishing that I saw.

Seveys is the only thing to consider on the south end.
State launch n mandana Are a much safer bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I was out there Sunday. Ran south from the state boat launch and started trolling north with the wind. Was fishing a shallow water rainbow program but realized quickly that the water temps are not there yet.(Needs to be 53-55 deg. before it gets good.) Best screen I found was just before Mandana. Turned around and went back through but no takers. Changed up to a laker program and picked up 2 heading back to the launch. Your standard sutton 44 down 60ft. Still needs a few more weeks of colder nights and rain.

1 hour ago, Mr Bluegill said:

Hi Hookem,  what temps were you finding out there Sunday?  I went out a week before that, found uniform temps of 64 - 65 from the surface all the way down to 40'.which was the deepest I checked. Way too warm for trout.

I had surface temps around 62-63 deg. I covered some water and went back through some concentrated fish when I found them. If there was any active fish shallow I would have caught something in there. Just not time yet still to warm, usually last week of October first few weeks of November till they pull the docks. Most guys are in the woods then and you can have the lake all to yourself. ;)

20 minutes ago, justtracytrolling said:

Did you look up north in town?  The fish are around and active out of temp.

Hey Justin, that's my usual trek is to go north from the launch towards town then cut across the lake by the yacht club and head south down the east side but the stiff south wind changed my plans (definitely like north end of that lake better). I don't doubt you can get a few here and there right now but I've found the best action on that lake comes when the surface temps are 53-55 deg. Usually you will see ladybugs and other bugs on the surface that those hungry bows will target and I didn't see any of that, the lack of leaves in the water also tells me its not prime time yet. Tight Lines!