CVA Accura MR load help.

Hachimo

So I’m new to muzzleloaders. Hunted last year with the flintlock for the first time and with PA having the early muzzleloader bear season I gotta get out.  Just ordered the cva accura MR today from muzzleloaders.com.  Paid the express shipping so i will have it friday.  That gives me one week to select a load and get it sighted in.  I want to be able to get out 150-200yrds. Anyone out there shooting an accura with a consistent load? I search other forums online and got ideas, but some of u guys I know and trust, and maybe Ur loads will work withmy rifle. 
thanks for any imput. 
Mike

My CVA wolf SS with konus 3*9 scope shoots extremely well out past 150 with 100 grain of 777 pellets and 250 shockwave projectile...shots 1+4 are flyers (on paper plate) 2+3 are perfect. My favorite set up that I own. Clean and lube with TC brand cleaners and finish lube with TC bore butter. Cci primers

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Frogger said:

Mike, my CVA MR takes 110gr black horn 209 with the powder adapter breech plug, 250 gr SST, CCI mag primers and its amazing out to 200 yds. I’ve got the short barrel with scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I really want to shot pellets and atay away Powder. Your load is what i been reading on lots of forumns.  Only issue. I can’t find anyone with nitride powder adapter breech plug. Evrywhere i looked so far is on backorder.  
thanks for responding fellas

I have the Accura V2 and I shoot 95 grains of Black horn 209, CCI magnum primers, Hornady FTX 45 grain bullets and MMP sabots. I have shot 12 deer in 4 years with this combo and they all dropped immediately except one that went 30 yds. Deadly accurate combo too. 200-250 yds is doable.

Thanks for the reply brian. Looks like I gotta get that new breech plug to shoot powder.  Did u guys put the new breech plug in your accuras?

1 hour ago, GAMBLER said:

I have the Accura V2 and I shoot 95 grains of Black horn 209, CCI magnum primers, Hornady FTX 45 grain bullets and MMP sabots. I have shot 12 deer in 4 years with this combo and they all dropped immediately except one that went 30 yds. Deadly accurate combo too. 200-250 yds is doable.

Mike I think mine are Traditions but same make. I tried pellets but when I went to powder from a recommendation it was a breeze to clean. I tried the original breech that came with it as it was for both pellets and powder but after reading on it I thought I should get the powder plug. Ordered it through muzzle-loaders.com where I got the gun. Bought the powder from a local Bass pro. Hope that helps.

1 minute ago, Frogger said:

Mike I think mine are Traditions but same make. I tried pellets but when I went to powder from a recommendation it was a breeze to clean. I tried the original breech that came with it as it was for both pellets and powder but after reading on it I thought I should get the powder plug. Ordered it through muzzle-loaders.com where I got the gun. Bought the powder from a local Bass pro. Hope that helps.

Sure does. I got the all black mountain Rifle from muzzleloaders.com. Just ordered it yeaterday and paid two days shippen so the guy said i will have it friday. They were out of stock with the powder plug but just found one online trou cabelas and had that 2 day shipping. Gonna try a 110gr by volume blackhorn 209, cci mag primers and 250gr sst. Shot a few rounds at 150yrds and c how it does.  Think thats a good startin point?

Thanks for the reply brian. Looks like I gotta get that new breech plug to shoot powder.  Did u guys put the new breech plug in your accuras?

Yes sir. I got mine cheap online. If you don’t get the correct breech plug, you will get hang fires.

I also bear hunt the early season in Pennsylvania. Corn fields are your friend. Just stop by farms and ask them if they are having any problems with bears in their corn fields.

Anyhow, I was talking with a PA game warden up by my camp last year. He said alot of the early muzzleloader bear hunters were having problems penetrating the big bears with their loads. He recommended loading up a pretty heavy load. I'm sighted in with 150 grains of power this year (three pellets) and will be heading up late next week.

Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I would start with 90 grains and work your way up.... let your gun tell you what it likes...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just don’t go over 120 grains of black horn in the CVA Accura. 120 or 125 is the max for the powder in that gun.

Got home today at 5:00pm and my gun was sitting on the porch. By the time i got it unboxed and everything together it was 6:00 and only had an hour before it got dark. Using remington primers,110gr blackhorn 209 (with new breech plug), Hornady sst 300gr. Fired 10ish rounds before it got dark at 100yrds off my tailgate behind the house. First 7 i was adjusting scope. It was gettin dark so I left scope low and a little left justso I can see a group.  Quitehappy with last three rounds(which are the 3 low left). What do u guys think? I didnt change powder at all yet. 

C94E1045-25C7-41F5-91C8-428AD12BE5D9.jpeg

8C275F55-33B6-4D29-B024-B1E622DA0A05.jpeg

Tomarrow I will go to the range amd shot it off my ledsled. (ledsled wasnt workin off the tailgate. Lol). Should i maybe buy a pack of white hotts and try shootin 3pellets bein I have 300gr sst’s? Maybe just try a second powder source. Or keep to blackhorn209. The online ballistics of 300gr sst call for 3 pellets or 150gr 

Dont have a cva but i have a knight rifle that i shoot 3 50 grain pellets(triple7) out of and please take a look at Barnes Bullets , There all copper and Have used them for years and shot mule deer , whitetail and 1 elk using the 285 grain spitfire in .50cal. . They expand well and just about zero weight loss and deep penetration . Good luck and have fun .

• Like 1

Nice set up Mike, make sure you follow the max for that like gambler mentioned. Personally I wouldn’t fire more than 3-4 rounds with out cleaning in between to make sure no fouling is changing your grouping. It’s really up to you what you feel good about with powder or pellets if your getting good grouping with both. There’s pros and cons for both. I think with the rest you’ll get tighter groups and not rushing. I’m sure the feeling of getting it out of the box throwing some rounds felt good. 100 yds that thing is capable of being within an inch of each other or better. There’s some experts on here as well. They’ve got some good advice.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

5 minutes ago, Frogger said:

Nice set up Mike, make sure you follow the max for that like gambler mentioned. Personally I wouldn’t fire more than 3-4 rounds with out cleaning in between to make sure no fouling is changing your grouping. It’s really up to you what you feel good about with powder or pellets if your getting good grouping with both. There’s pros and cons for both. I think with the rest you’ll get tighter groups and not rushing. I’m sure the feeling of getting it out of the box throwing some rounds felt good. 100 yds that thing is capable of being within an inch of each other or better. There’s some experts on here as well. They’ve got some good advice.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Thanks buddy. Yea i have no thoughts of pushin over the max loads. Just lookin at ballistics online. Tomarrow will tell another story with lead sled on bench. 
also i believe in “seasoning a barrel”. After each round tonight i cleaned the barrel and oiled it. Fired two primers to dry and loaded again.  That also gave time for barrel to cool between shots. All my rifles i own are long range tack drivers. And if not i sell em.  Just tryin to keep this accura in the collection.  Absolutely love the gun.  I’m a sucker for short “guide guns”.  Lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Blackhorn is the way to go. It does not absorb moisture. I left my muzzle loader loaded from last year and it went off no problem last week when I went to the range. Great stuff.

That leads me to anotherquestion. When your done with ur hunt for the day do u shot off the load? Or open breech plug and push it out, or pull primer and leave it loaded? I hunted with flintlock last year so no choice u gotta fire em off.  Just courious what u guys do.  

• Like 1

That leads me to anotherquestion. When your done with ur hunt for the day do u shot off the load? Or open breech plug and push it out, or pull primer and leave it loaded? I hunted with flintlock last year so no choice u gotta fire em off.  Just courious what u guys do.  

I leave it loaded, take the primer out and leave it in my garage. You can pull the breech plug, pour the powder out, and push the bullet out of the end of the barrel.

• Thanks 1