Looking for New Outboard Dealer

Great_Laker

Looking to purchase a brand new 4-stroke outboard for my boat. Considering a Suzuki or Mercury based on my price range. Currently have a 90 hp two stroke Evinrude and a new 15 hp 4-stroke mercury kicker. I would like to save some transom space and weight on the back of the boat and run a single engine for trolling and cruising. Probably looking for a 70-75 hp. The boat is a 19.5' center console aluminum sea nymph that weighs ~1,100 pounds. The 90 hp pushes the boat 40 mph and is plenty so I figure I can go down a bit in size as i only use the boat to fish and don't need to go fast. The new Mercury and Suzuki engines have a trolling feature which allows you to use them like a trolling motor, but yes, I'm sure they don't sip gas like a 15 hp kicker. I usually only fish with 1 or 2 other people as well so total boat weight is relatively light. I fish Ontario mostly, but the Finger Lakes in early spring and winter. I understand and appreciate the safety of having two engines but I'm thinking brand new engines are about as dependable as a new car (or they should be). Just trying to think out loud here to cover the bases. Any recommendations on engine size or if I'm missing something?  Picture of my boat below to give you an idea of what I'm working with. Any recommended dealers in the Rochester to Ithaca area? Price range I might expect?

GL1.JPG

GL2.JPG

GL3.jpg

GL5.JPG

GL4.JPG

If you decide to go Merc Barrett Marine in Waterloo (between Geneva and Waterloo) are very honest and competent folks and they have on hand most Merc parts etc.Fran and Deb are a couple of the most knowledgeable folks around.

• Like 3

If you decide to go Merc Barrett Marine in Waterloo (between Geneva and Waterloo) are very honest and competent folks and they have on hand most Merc parts etc.Fran and Deb are a couple of the most knowledgeable folks around.

Given your great deal of experience on both the Fingers and Lake O, what would your advice be on down sizing the main engine and going without a kicker? I guess outside of looking for a dealer I’m also looking to see if given the parameters of my boat, it’s a good idea to go this route. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Part of me says ‘if it isn’t broken, dont fix it” as everything runs smooth right now but the other side says get more efficient and new as my main engine is a 1986. I don’t have a desire to go over 35 mph and the boat is only rated to a 140 hp (a 1986 2 stroke weight equivalent not a 2020 heavy 4 stroke) so staying small seems like a good idea to me as long as I can get up and move.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks.:smile:

I guess from my standpoint I would never go without a kicker. I have been stranded without one only once when I first got my first boat and I said never again. Luckily it was on Seneca and my buddy came to my aid. I know a lot of guys are comfortable with  a single engine but especially on lake O it is placing your total trust in technology...I guess I have trouble with that:smile: It seems that engine problems always appear at the absolute worst time too and having a new one is a step in the right direction but no guarantee.

I'm no mechanical or motor expert so I kinda go with my own experiences for whatever it is worth for 50 years or so of boating so the advice should be interpreted in that light I guess:smile:.

As far as make and model motors they are all getting more reliable and more gas efficient, but gone are the old days of putting in new plugs or adjusting the gap or changing out a power pack etc. The engines are much more sophisticated electronically, but also more complicated and expensive to fix and more potential things to go wrong. Having a four stroke is nice as it eliminates the oil mixture factor, and they seem to have more torque.

With all that said you don't want to under power your boat either as it could make the engine work harder to get it up on plane etc.and maybe even be less fuel efficient in the long run. For primarily fishing use you also want one that will troll down and not load up and be within the weight range and HP max for your boat. I know this will sound like a cop out but I would suggest talking with a good engine tech Like Jeff Linkner at Seager Marine in Canandaigua

or Fran Barrett at Barrett Marine in Waterloo. Hank at L and M on here on LOU may also be able to give you great advice as far as the pros and cons.

Hope this helps at least indirectly:smile:

Les

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

With Mercury and Suzuki the 70 and 90hp share the same block/displacement so weight is the same. IMO the 90 makes more sense as you currently have a 90 and likely price difference minimal.  Mercury has more dealer options than Suzuki, lots to consider when updating outboard on a boat.  Talk to several dealers before deciding.

• Like 1

Those old V4 Evinrudes can run forever.  I had a 19 Sea Nymph so I know the boat.  If it isn't broken, save yourself some money and don't do anything now.

Agreed. If you have kept it up with good gas and hasn’t set around not running I’d run her. You’ve got the 15hp to get you out of trouble if need be. Now if the big motor is having troubles, bad compression etc make the move.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have the same boat but bow rider style.

1991 fish and ski, 100 johnson 2 stroke on it now.

Looking solely  at weight I think  the 140 suk is the lightest when you get over 100 hp. Was amazed the 140 was lighter then the 115.

I was looking to get a 90 or 115 they will run/ troll just as well as a 75. With the 90/115 you are not underpowered creating a potential safety issue.

My is running  perfectly  so I decided might as well keep.

Good luck with your search