Homemade killer walleye lure

MRBIG

Here is a lure I made and have been using since the 1970's. I have been keeping it a secret for 50 years and figured it's time to share. It's a flatfish with the hooks removed and a crawler rig attached to the back. DYNOMITE! 

walleye lure 001 (1).JPG

s-l1600 (83).jpg

Edited by MRBIG
  • Like 5

Approximately how fast would you troll your homemade rig ? Also what would you typically run it behind ? Rigger ball, dipsey, leadcore, jet planner or does it not really matter ?

Also have you tried this with any other banana type baits like Kwik fish or Mag Lips? We've been tipping our straight running stick baits (renowskis, bombers, bayrats) for years with a 1/2 a crawler on the back hook. We think the 1/2 crawler gets us more bites vs. no crawler. You got me thinking for next year. I got alot of old banana baits in my basement. 

This lure is very speed sensitive. Slow as she goes. If you troll too fast she will spin on you. I normally use a 3 way swivel with a 30 inch leader and a 1 to 2 oz. dropper about 12" long. Strictly old school but that's what works for me. I very seldom fish big water or fish deeper than 30' so I have no need for riggers or divers. I haven't tried it with any lures other than the flatfish. I assume it would work just as well with the other lures.

Edited by MRBIG

I do the same thing with other lures and spoons for certain situations.  I use whatever I'm already trolling so the speed works.  The spoon harnesses are really my favorite, but just about any lure will work if the lure works for you already.  Gulp pinched crawlers on the rear treble, but not the rudder hook of the treble, gives you scent and your bait a little wounded kick.  The delivery method is actually important because some lures are reaction baits, ie flatfish, some are designed for a feeding bite, ie small spoons floating rapalas and a few baits are both, ie flicker minnows.  To deliver a reaction bite I like braid and a jet diver, dipsies, 3 way rigs, clip weights, or a rigger and a short setback.  For a feeding lure I want a steady smooth delivery like mono or lead core and very long set backs.  The precision trolling app even has recipes for reaction lead core trolling where you use a 15' thin braid leader instead of a 50+' flouro/mono leader.  Ideally whatever you put your harness on to delivery them is something you normally run so getting the harness dialed in is easier because you KNOW how to troll the lure and you know it works.

• 1 month later...

This looks like a great idea.  Now I'm anxious to see how they run off my boat.  Do you have any favorite F fish colors and sizes?  It also looks like you use #2 single hooks (like stock Dixie spinner leaders}, true?  Do you run a whole night crawler?  I'm guessing a trolling speed of  1.0-1.3 gps?

I've had luck with the Bass Pro's fish trolling weights 1 oz.  My spinner rigs run @ 6-10" higher than the weights.   I'll hit bottom with the fish weights before my rigs.  I like 80 to 110 feet back off off shore planer boards (with optional flag kit) in 15 to 30 foot water. 1.2-.3 gps. 10# big game

thanks

Big Al

Thanks Big Al, I use mostly the T 4 and the U 20. Yellow and black. Yellow and red. Orange and black in that order. I use a whole nightcrawler and occasionally use a stinger hook on the end if they are short striking. Yes #2 hooks. I usually use about a 12" dropper with a 30" leader.  As far as speed goes I just hang it over the side and when it looks right I send it back. The action on this lure is absolutely mesmerizing. Believe it or not I caught this 55" Musky on it last year. Good luck. 

000_0001 (2).JPG

• Like 1

This thread is another great example of the type of generous information sharing and idea generation that can and does go on at LOU:yes:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2

Yes I also agree. I get a lot of great ideas for fishing. Real hands on questions and answers. 

Like my lure holders. We needed a way to store, display, and transport, spoons and stick baits. We kept all the lures that were catching fish on it. So if I went on a buddy's boat I'd bring it.  East to carry. Cover protects the hooks.  It took off from there.

Tall original fits 3 rows of magnum spoons easily. 

TALL ORIGINAL LURE HOLDER.jpg

Mr. Big,

Have you looked at Lindy lil guy rigs?  I ran 2" aunt creepy and had succes.

I think your flat fish rig would have more action when leader attached to rear hook mount.  Similar action using the front mount.  I can't wait to try out all 3 options. 

Big al

• 4 months later...

Greetings, When they are in an aggressive mood (not often) they will hit all 3 hooks. Most of the time they will hit the 3rd hook and occasionally I will have to put a 4th stinger hook on when they are just nipping at the worm. Back in the day the only crawler rigs that were available were 3 hook so that is all I ever used.